Which long range, comfy ebikes? (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Recommendations from users for electric bikes please.

Until now we've used a 125cc scooter for longer trips out from our motorhome and a couple of cheapo folding bicycles for local exploring.

Due to a change of motorhome involving weight and garage space issues, we're now looking at just having two electric bicycles instead.

We are not looking for top end full suspension mountain bikes, but just for two lightish weight road - only bikes, either full sized frame and wheels, or alternatively perhaps 20 inch wheel folding type.

Comfort is far, far more important than speed.

We do want bikes with removable batteries, as we are planning to have a spare battery for each, which I can be charging via our solar panels and inverter whilst we are using the other batteries in the bikes.

The bikes would need to have substantial range, as we will be using them for touring /exploring a lot... Perhaps 50 to 70 miles range?

They'll also need capacity to add rack and panniers, to carry significant amounts of beer and wine back to the mh from our shopping sprees!

Budget perhaps about 1000 pounds/euros per bike.

Does anyone have personal experience of owning/using ebikes that they think would fit the bill for us please?
If so, links to dealers /manufacturers for the exact model would be much appreciated.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Aside from the price I'd recommend a Kalkhof like ours. Range is up to 120 miles in eco mode and 70 in normal, cracking bikes, very comfortable with front and rear suspension pannier rack as standard but you will need to look for secondhand at your price

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Raleigh motus? Though slightly over budget, has what you need, plus Bosch crank drive.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am pleased with my purchase of two of . I am also fairly certain that had I spent a little more and purchased a propriety brand with a HUB motor I would also be happy.

Our two are different frame sizes but both are step through and that was a sound decision. If you think that you need a "cross-bar" for mounting on a bike rack then do as I did and get the removable one.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
If you want comfort. The Dutch Gazelle range will take some beating. I wanted a classic sit up and beg Dutch style as the mountain bike style did not do my back any good. Am well pleased with my choice.
https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/Gazelle-E-Bikes
I went for the Kalkhof, Dutch style suits me too. I would go for crank drive. Latest Bosch impulse drive is great and mine has a gates belt drive. Gazelles will be, I think, slightly shorter as the batteries are mounted on the luggage rack. Kalkhof is behind the seat post which gives a lower CofG but makes the bike a bit longer. Wife has a hub drive trike and on her experience I'd avoid hub drive especially if it is controlled simply by pedal rotation rather than force sensor.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I went for the Kalkhof, Dutch style suits me too. I would go for crank drive. Latest Bosch impulse drive is great and mine has a gates belt drive. Gazelles will be, I think, slightly shorter as the batteries are mounted on the luggage rack. Kalkhof is behind the seat post which gives a lower CofG but makes the bike a bit longer. Wife has a hub drive trike and on her experience I'd avoid hub drive especially if it is controlled simply by pedal rotation rather than force sensor.

I have the crank drive on the Gazelle and it is very good. A bit too good really as if its in full power its damn dangerous. Comfy is the word though,like floating along on a cloud with the big ass suspension seat and sit up and beg riding position.
Cook now has her custom built electric trike with crank drive, now that thing is in a class of its own.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We’ve got Kalkhof bikes. I can recommend them as being comfortable and long range.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Raleigh motus? Though slightly over budget, has what you need, plus Bosch crank drive.

Another vote for Raleigh Motus!! :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had eranger and Gazelle (Bosch), great bike but heavy, extremely comfortable. Now have Whisper torque, lighter, better range and we feel better on hills.

I would really recommend trying as many as possible and not to be put off by the crank or hub options try them both. And try them on a steep hill not just flats.

Eranger bikes are cheaper but very effective, lots of styles to choose from and very helpful people.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We do want bikes with removable batteries, as we are planning to have a spare battery for each, which I can be charging via our solar panels and inverter whilst we are using the other batteries in the bikes.

A spare battery for mine (Bosch)....£400 - £500 when I last looked:cry:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Will you have storage or will they be going on back of van. The more expensive the bike the bigger attraction to thieves.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Will you have storage or will they be going on back of van. The more expensive the bike the bigger attraction to thieves.

Sorry about the 'rating' Sandra ....using the phone -

Remove the battery and head unit and the bike has very little value....less use than an ordinary bike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Due to a change of motorhome involving weight and garage space issues, we're now looking at just having two electric bicycles instead.

do you still intend to house them in the garage ?

if not you may struggle to lift them onto track.. e-bikes are heavy, even with the battery removed, our Kalkhoff were around 24kg .. a heavy lift if the carrier is high on the van.. also 2 x 24kg is on the limit for a back wall carrier..

A tow bar carrier would be more practical and easier to get them on and off...

Theft is a problem.. batteries removed or not.. e-bikes are targeted by thieves , they observe your comings and goings and wait their chance to take them.. they are very vulnerable on a bike rack.. also when travelling, they need to be kept as dry as possible.. the electrics don't like being sprayed with water for hours on end..

that's just my experience from owning them .. much of the same advice applies to expensive road bikes which we now use

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a good range you really need a decent crank drive like the Bosch, nearly all the good quality e-bikes are now on 28" wheels. Ours are Scott's with Bosch crank drives the only thing I don't like about them is the 28" wheels if I could find a decent bike with 26" wheels I think I would change them.

I think you need to up your budget to £1500 - £2000 even then you are at the bottom of the range of decent bikes.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I'm very pleased with my Motus stepthrough - though I didn't find the supplied saddle that comfy (so I swapped it for the old cheapie gel one off my old bike - but saddle comfort is a very personal thing).

Mine is the 50cm frame which weighs about 19kg without the battery - hubby can lift it onto the bike rack fine (though its easier with the two of us), but I agree a towbar carrier would be even easier.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
£1000, 50-70mile range. :rofl:

Sorry :gum:

Raleigh Captus. :cycle:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
For a good range you really need a decent crank drive like the Bosch, nearly all the good quality e-bikes are now on 28" wheels. Ours are Scott's with Bosch crank drives the only thing I don't like about them is the 28" wheels if I could find a decent bike with 26" wheels I think I would change them.

I think you need to up your budget to £1500 - £2000 even then you are at the bottom of the range of decent bikes.

Good heavens, its enough to put anybody off your last sentence. Remember when we were kids and we put a bike together with any bit we could cadge. I suppose time/the world has changed and I need to change with it.
I just treated Caz to a second hand Ebike, Kalkhoff, £370, cost a bomb new. Myself I don't like it and have just dusted off my 34 year old Muddy Fox, pumped the tyres up after 9 years and its perfect.

I suppose its like saying can you have as good a time in a cheap 5 grand motorhome than you could in a 150 grand one.

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Just brought a pair of Freego folders... range may be on the low side... i get about 20 miles on a charge... and they arnt crank motors... but they meet your price point £1K a bike seems plenty for me... very comfy and we have had great service from Freego just get the bigest battery you can afford... the folders fit nicely in the garage... whatever u get I'm sure you will enjoy them :)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Have a look at the Woosh bikes website in Southend on Sea. They have a great range of bikes, have been around for years, their back up is excellent and you can try them all, we have two with the oldest one still going strong from 2011.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years ago friends bought Pro-Rider Leisure (hub motors, 700ea) we had Gazelle with Bosch drive (1800ea), they sailed up hills (they were steep) that we struggled on. Their gearing and power delivery was more appropriate to the terrain and ability. Our bikes were very well made, looked good, extremely comfortable and easy to ride. Theirs were cheaper components but they worked, they did have 2 punctures in the first 3 months, so they have upgraded the tyres. We had much greater range as battery was larger but also because the Bosch PAS was more efficient so less charging required.

We have now changed bikes as we changed van and wanted to get the bikes in the new garage, so far they meet all our requirements. But I would not dismiss a bike because it is hub motor or less than 1000, must admit though getting 70 miles range may be a challenge unless you weigh almost nothing and live in Holland.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was only talking about cheap ones good ones start at about £3½k.:ROFLMAO:

Ludicrous. Members on here have been buying brand new KTM motorbikes for that money. Have you seen what goes into a motorbike compared to a pushbike ?

Reasonable bike - £200.
Electric motor + control - £50
Battery - £200

Anything you pay over that is pure rip off.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
That's just the sort of thing I think.
Thanks.

I bought 2 new Raleigh motus step through E bikes 2 years ago for £1850 each - IMO great bikes - Bosch crank drive etc.

As @Lenny HB says the are 28 inch wheels (in common with most crank drive bikes) and my wife, who has always been a "nervous" cyclist, (likes to be able to touch the ground with both feet while seated) found it too high for her liking so we bought her a 20 inch wheel folding Ebike which suits her fine - As to me I love my Motus!! :)

I now have try to sell my wifes ultra low mileage Motus!!:cautious:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you tried riding a £200 bike? They are rubbish, need to pay at least £500 for a ridable ordinary push bike.

OK so anything over £750 is a rip off.

Which is what I paid to panic buy in E.Leclerc when my £275 Chinese e-bike failed in France after only 7 years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK so anything over £750 is a rip off.
You don't live in the real world. I priced up rebuilding a Bosch Li on battery using commercially avalible cells, almost as cheap to pay £500 for a complete Bosch battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back