Cracked Shower Tray in Globecar camper (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought I’d start a new thread about the cracked shower tray in my Globecar FamilyScout L camper just in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future so they can find the info easily.

I initially mentioned the problem in this thread:

Starting with this first post …

WARNING - CHECK YOUR SHOWER TRAYS!!!!!

Not sure I still 'want' to say Globecars are built well! I've just discovered that the shower tray in ours has cracked in 3 places!!!

On closer inspection the 3 places are about an inch long between the 'uprights' that support the removable wooden cover, there is NO support under the edge parts of the tray at all, not on any of the sides - obviously this isn't such an issue on the rear, wardrobe and toilet sides of the tray which you don't 'go near' much but where you access the tray from the main corridor of the camper it gets more use and is seriously NOT made sufficiently well for the purpose it is meant for!

Unhappy is NOT the word I'm searching for ... fuming would be the more appropriate one that I can 'say' on a forum, the real words I'm thinking are not repeatable!!!!

Of course we're now out of warranty so I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this except to see if I can get it sorted as a 'not fit for purpose' situation as it clearly isn't!

I then talked more about it in this thread as things developed:

So time for an update ...

As mentioned in the above second thread, after the chap at the dealer told me the other day that Globecar had refused to sort it but that he'd go back to them if I could supply him with more info/evidence so I agreed to send him some more photos showing that we have NO support at all under the front of the tray, hence it is either a design or built fault, so today I had another shuftie at it and managed to get some photos for him which I sent tonight …

Picture A - Shower diagram
This shows where the 3 cracks are located that are next to the indentation 'channels' which allow the water to run off the surround back into the base of the tray.

A - Shower diagram.png

Pictures B to E - Cracks
These show the actual cracks themselves:
  • B - Crack 1 closeup
B - crack 1.jpg

• C - Crack 1 with light underneath to show nothing underneath to block light
C - Crack 1 light.jpg

• D - Crack 2 closeup
D - crack 2.jpg

• E - Crack 3 closeup
E - crack 3.jpg

Pictures F to G - Scraper
I was able to push a very large scraper under the shower tray and there was nothing at all preventing this, these pictures show the scraper etc (ignore the white stuff, it's just some bits of the sealant I'd put under the tray to try to support it and stop the cracks getting worse):
  • F - Scraper above tray
F - Scraper.jpg

• G - Scraper next to tray
G - Scraper.jpg

• H - Scraper under tray
H - Scraper.jpg

Pictures I & J - Under tray
These show under the tray as far as I dare lift it - you can clearly see that there is no support whatsoever on the front or under the water channel where crack 1 is:
  • I - Under tray to right of crack 1 - the wood on the right stops where the spiral tambour door sits
I - Under tray.JPG

• J - Under tray to right of crack 1 - close up of channel on left (black hole!).
J - Under tray.JPG

I told him that I've corresponded with a chap on the Possl forum and he's had TWO trays replaced to date for the same type of problem so I'm not the only one who's had issues. I also sent him video clips from YouTube: the first one is the start of the video, the second starts where you can see the 'flat' base below the tray and the third starts when the wooden surround is put in.

I've said that I think he'll agree with me that this has to be a design/build fault as there's no way that this tray, without support, could be expected to last and the shower is totally unusable now, even using the toilet is tricky as we daren't close off the compartment with the tambour doors! I've asked what his next 'action plan' is.

So now it's a waiting game again!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I can see from the photos that the shower tray has failed big time. Obviously an inherent defect and not your fault, Minxy Girl.

Until now Globecar has enjoyed a reputation for high quality, judging from the recommendations on Fun. Even if this failure is a one-off you would hope that they and their dealer would take responsibility for sorting out this defective shower tray for you without further delay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Feeling your pain and frustration as I am going through exactly the same problem with marquis /benimar and I can tell you it's a long and frustrating process to a problem that it seems more common than the builders/designers want to admit . Good luck I hope it turns out good for you (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I had to have ours repaired about 18 months ago becasue it also cracked around the same areas - also out of warranty. The chap who did the work said there was very little if any support underneath and that he finds this is the case with many MH's.
When I contacted the Spanish maker (Benimar) they just waffled on and on for weeks, so I gave up in the end and had it fixed. The tray now looks better than it did when new. Called in to factory on way home to Spain last year and even they were impressed with the fix, but would not refund me the costs, however did give me a coffee and biscuit...........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's not cracked Mel its broken, come own up you have been using it.:D

In your van the tray forms part of the walkway so why would they fit a tray with unsupported raised lips, I would expect the raised lips to be foam filled. If its under warranty don't see how they can refuse to sort it. Have you contacted Globecar yourself as I'm wondering if the dealer is fobbing you off as he knows its a big job that's going to cost him a lot of labour.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Go for the dealer Minxy, he sold it to you, give him hell. Why does he have to get Globcars authorisation, thats his problem and of of no consequence to you. :)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Sadly I hear quite a bit of this with shower trays not only in Motorhomes but also in caravans. If you cannot get, not only a replacement unit but also suitable supports fitted under warranty there is a solution at reasonable cost. ( I would have thought under latest rules of high value items should be fit for purpose for 6 years it should be replaced) If you contact Apple Campers on 01823 665474 and speak to Andy McFail they have a process of supporting and repair of cracked shower trays at sensible money

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I agree with Lenny on this one - the tray is 100% knackered and needs stripping out and replacing. It could also lead to some fairly significant water ingress issues if not rectified correctly.

I took the opinion recently that Globecar products were top-notch items but this example is displaying signs of very poor workmanship (or very poor design).

You do need to pester the heck out of the dealer to get him to help support your cause but IMO it's Globecar itself that needs to rectify this particular issue as they should not be supplying such crap in the first instance.

I'm not a lover of dealers, far from it, but I don't even think a dealer should have to repair this level of shoddy workmanship - this is a manufacturers issue.

Good luck,

Andrew

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How old is you mh? I ask because I have just bought one 2015 model and as yet have no sign of cracks
It may be model specific and may only affect some of them if the issue was noticed and a solution sorted early on, so whether yours will be the same I don't know, the only sure way would be to do what I did and try to see underneath the front of it although if you push a scraper in to see how far it goes, that would give you a clue as to whether there's any support at the front anyway, that's how I first confirmed there was nothing at all there.

I can see from the photos that the shower tray has failed big time. Obviously an inherent defect and not your fault, Minxy Girl.

Until now Globecar has enjoyed a reputation for high quality, judging from the recommendations on Fun. Even if this failure is a one-off you would hope that they and their dealer would take responsibility for sorting out this defective shower tray for you without further delay.

That's not cracked Mel its broken, come own up you have been using it.:D

In your van the tray forms part of the walkway so why would they fit a tray with unsupported raised lips, I would expect the raised lips to be foam filled. If its under warranty don't see how they can refuse to sort it. Have you contacted Globecar yourself as I'm wondering if the dealer is fobbing you off as he knows its a big job that's going to cost him a lot of labour.

Go for the dealer Minxy, he sold it to you, give him hell. Why does he have to get Globcars authorisation, thats his problem and of of no consequence to you. :)
I agree it is a 'fault' and nothing that we could be blamed for other than the fact that we have used the camper as it was intended. SMC are trying to get it sorted with Globecar who have a reputation for being very 'black and white' when it comes to decisions, no grey area at all, so now I've sent the photos they'll have another go at them, if it still comes back as a 'NO' I'll have to decide how to proceed after that, I've got the CEO's email address so my next port of call will probably be direct contact with details of the issues with our camper as well as links to the threads about all of this so they can see how they are being perceived as a manufacturer.

I have to admit it has knocked our confidence a bit with Globecar ... we love the camper but and had considered changing to another model in the nearish future with single beds which we feel would suit us better now, but with this last issue and the stupid delays in getting existing ones sorted, it has certainly made us rethink whether we want this sort of 'hassle' again. Maybe we've just been unlucky with the stuff that's needed sorting but we're fully aware that bits and bobs do need doing - I've yet to come across a MH owner that hasn't has something to get fixed - it's the time taken to get some stuff sorted that is most frustrating, some of which was first reported a year ago, where the 'issue' for this lies I can't totally be sure.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree with Lenny on this one - the tray is 100% knackered and needs stripping out and replacing. It could also lead to some fairly significant water ingress issues if not rectified correctly.

I took the opinion recently that Globecar products were top-notch items but this example is displaying signs of very poor workmanship (or very poor design).

You do need to pester the heck out of the dealer to get him to help support your cause but IMO it's Globecar itself that needs to rectify this particular issue as they should not be supplying such crap in the first instance.

I'm not a lover of dealers, far from it, but I don't even think a dealer should have to repair this level of shoddy workmanship - this is a manufacturers issue.

Good luck,

Andrew
I agree that the tray should be replaced FOC to us as it's a 'fault' but whether they'll play ball I don't know, see responses above which I was typing as you posted. :)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I am concerned to learn of the above problems and clearly a design problem or a failure by the builder to do the job properly.

Have you considered speaking to your local trading standards officer, we pay enough for the bureaucrats that we all moan about, perhaps it is time we started using them for what they are intended.

I hope to read of a positive resolution soon.

Clive

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not surprising they make errors:Eeek:
Look at the speed they work at :doh:

Simply put " Not fit for purpose"
A simple expanding foam fill at build time would = Negligible weight added, No weak spot. no Bad press. and these experts get paid good money:RollEyes:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
As I mentioned in the other thread , that tray is not and has never been fit for purpose . Now seeing the actual pics in this thread compounds that view . Those are not cracks , they are complete failure breaks . its evident the problem is a design or build omission ( inadequate or nil strengthening).And possibly the tray itself being poor quality material. Which also leads me to repeat , Globecar should arrange vehicle return to the Germany factory for complete rip out and repair.

OR >>>

Why does SMC require the manufacturers go ahead to fix this ? They should have enough of a professional relationship whereby SMC as a main dealer can arrange in this case , to rip out and replace the complete unit. To include appropriate strengthening. If SMC dont have the facilities or expertise to complete the job , then they are "in the trade" so to speak , therefore should know companies who can take on such work.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I agree that the tray should be replaced FOC to us as it's a 'fault' but whether they'll play ball I don't know, see responses above which I was typing as you posted. :)
Even though a poster above states "it's knackered and should be replaced" it not. The chap that did mine took 8hrs, whilst we sat in the awning feeding him food and tea. One hole was wide enough to put my thumb into and a crack about 2 inches from the water drain on both sides. He sealed them then put a coating of none slip stuff 99.9% match to the original floor colour. Could not use shower for 48 hours and has been perfect ever since. No trim or floor or shower surround was removed all done in place and if you look through this forum you can find my old post with pictures.
I think from memory around 400 quid. You may have to go down this route and perhaps ask them for the money back or take it to small claims court as I don't see them doing anything about it. Sorry to say.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Even though a poster above states "it's knackered and should be replaced" it not. The chap that did mine took 8hrs, whilst we sat in the awning feeding him food and tea. One hole was wide enough to put my thumb into and a crack about 2 inches from the water drain on both sides. He sealed them then put a coating of none slip stuff 99.9% match to the original floor colour. Could not use shower for 48 hours and has been perfect ever since. No trim or floor or shower surround was removed all done in place and if you look through this forum you can find my old post with pictures.
I think from memory around 400 quid. You may have to go down this route and perhaps ask them for the money back or take it to small claims court as I don't see them doing anything about it. Sorry to say.

Don,

I appreciate your comments and I agree that it can be fixed but I think Mel's take on things is that why should she have to fix it privately when she expects something to be fit for purpose in the first instance.

You got fudged-off by Benimar and had to have your tray repaired independently but why should Mel do the same. This van of hers cost an arm and a leg so I would expect the dealer and manufacturer to pull their thumb out and get it sorted.

Good luck Mel,

All the best,

Andrew

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Surely, @Don Quixote, the cause of the original problem would still exist, i.e. little or no support underneath where it failed?

Yes and no......... The chap that fitted mine showed me with his remote camera the problem. The area around the water exit and the side walls is very thin and prone to cracking (read all the old post on here about cracking) so after he reinforced the weak area there was no need for added supports. This I tested after fixing a few weeks later by falling into show area using my hand to break fall right were the old crack was............. Thank God no damage. The problem is that 99% of shower trays are to thin on/around the stress points and too many manufacturers know this, but percentage wise breakage is low......... so they will ignore the problem.

Don,

I appreciate your comments and I agree that it can be fixed but I think Mel's take on things is that why should she have to fix it privately when she expects something to be fit for purpose in the first instance.

You got fudged-off by Benimar and had to have your tray repaired independently but why should Mel do the same. This van of hers cost an arm and a leg so I would expect the dealer and manufacturer to pull their thumb out and get it sorted.

Good luck Mel,

All the best,

Andrew
Mel, I did as you put it "got fudged-off by Benimar" and as I needed the shower area as MH was at that point being lived in 247/365 repair was left to me to sort it or perhaps wait week, months or years!!!!
I sure Mel's MH cost as you put it "van of hers cost an arm and a leg" but there are many on here that would say their MH cost a arm and a leg as well!!!!!!!! however unless Mel can prove firstly that the damage was not done by her, secondly that she reported the damage the minute it started/spotted and lastly she can prove that the shower area was not used in any way after damage was discovered she might stand a chance.
Why am I saying this? because that's what they will state to her. I know this because that's what I went through...............

Then you state "why should she have to fix it privately" - Because if she wants to enjoy her "pride and joy" without looking at the problem for weeks. months or even years before they "might fix it" she has no choice.

Harsh words sometimes do not mean to be offensive, but friendly advice having been through the same stressful experience. It now for me a distant memory, but I do feel for her right now as not a nice thing to try and sort.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Following my last post Minxy, please don't faff around. I read so much faffing on Fun, its worse than @old-mo 's jokes. Do as @Landy lover says and get a written cost say from Apple Campers and present it to your dealer, whilst holding out your hand for payment, with the standard seven day rule. No response equals a CC application.

The rules are clear and manufacturers try to limit your rights. For example one year on a tv is silly, any such purchase would reasonably be expected to last much longer. As so in your case two years for a shower tray ? :rofl:

Get to it girl, you are not the quiet subdued type. Stop faffing. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... unless Mel can prove firstly that the damage was not done by her, secondly that she reported the damage the minute it started/spotted and lastly she can prove that the shower area was not used in any way after damage was discovered she might stand a chance.

Why am I saying this? because that's what they will state to her. I know this because that's what I went through...............
Don, that may have been your experience and I don't really remember the details of your shower problem, but I don't think you can say our situation is the same.

We were on holiday in Italy at the time I noticed the first cracks, having been away for just over a week, and didn't return to the UK for another 5 weeks so it severely limited our use of the shower/toilet area. Th
ere's no way we could avoid standing on the tray as it is one of those in the corridor of the van so to get to bed, use the loo etc we had to stand on it although we obviously avoided the area nearest the cracks and were as careful as we could be, even putting in some extra support to try to prevent further damage (see other threads for details). The damage wasn't done by our negligence (eg by us dropping something on it) but just started cracking because it is insufficiently supported and despite us NOT standing on the actual plastic edge the shower tray wooden cover sits on the edging so every time it was stood on (which was unavoidable) obviously pressure was placed on the tray - even removing the wooden cover and standing directly on the shower tray itself didn't really help as the tray still flexed when stood on and opened up the cracks at the edge. We actually got a call from SMC whilst we were away about other warranty stuff and told them at that time so they were aware before we returned home. SMC/Globecar can indeed try to argue that we have caused this but we can similarly go back much more strongly and say that there is no option BUT to stand on it as it was intended and should therefore be of sufficient quality for this to happen without cracking.
Then you state "why should she have to fix it privately" - Because if she wants to enjoy her "pride and joy" without looking at the problem for weeks. months or even years before they "might fix it" she has no choice.

Harsh words sometimes do not mean to be offensive, but friendly advice having been through the same stressful experience. It now for me a distant memory, but I do feel for her right now as not a nice thing to try and sort.
I think SMC, who I know for a fact do peruse this forum (hello guys! :hi:), are fully aware that I am not one to go away quietly with my tail between my legs! With the problems to date of getting warranty stuff sorted which I haven't let go no way am I going to let this major issue just sit for months on end without resolution - the other items we've been able to 'live' with but not this as the shower is totally unusable and it severely limits the use of the toilet etc.

I've only just sent the new photos etc to SMC so I'll give them a week or so to try to get a resolution sorted, then I shall start nagging and follow it up if needs be ... and they really do NOT want me nagging! :sneaky:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It makes you wonder about how many other are built the same way. I have posted on here before that I get the impression from watching the build of Globecars that they are built en masse really quickly with not enough attention to detail.
A lot of people have said that they fail to insulate part of the over cab area, not sure if that has now been resolved.
That shower tray right in the middle of the van need proper wooden support underneath the whole of it.
Good luck with the replacement, I,m sure after looking at your evidence they cannot refuse to totally replace, surely.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It makes you wonder about how many other are built the same way. I have posted on here before that I get the impression from watching the build of Globecars that they are built en masse really quickly with not enough attention to detail.
You do know that the video is speeded up ... don't you? :D2

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes but I still get the impression that they can't build em fast enough, get em built and get get em outa here.
That's the case with all major MH/camper builders though, time is money unfortunately.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
@Broken Link Removed
As I have stated I feel for you and hope that for once a company will show customer service as it should be and fix the dame thing.

Fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Broken Link Removed
As I have stated I feel for you and hope that for once a company will show customer service as it should be and fix the dame thing.

Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks but I don't see HOW they can blame us for using the tray afterwards as by that time the cracks were already there ... we didn't shower from that point on so just had to have a good wash although on one occasion afterwards we were lucky to visit a castle with an overnight parking area for €7 for the day which had showers, water and electric included so had a good scrub down there and just stayed stinky for the rest of the holiday!!! :D ;)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes its in the middle of the van on the walkway so not using the van at all is the only way not to put any further stress on the tray.
With its position it should have been made especially strong and supported so its lasts the lifetime of the van, its should have been made of thick GRP fully supported by a proper frame.
There's a lot to be said of small bespoke converters that you can observe and watch the build as it goes along.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats the sort of build quality in terms of attention to detail, that I would expect from Swift UK, but certainly not Globecar. I dont know if the build video, even though speeded up, was supposed to impress me, it did in fact give me the opposite impression. Too many people have a hands on roll in a very repetitive manner, Ok it gets the job done, but it looked like they were working on a peace work/bonus style of employment, which as we have seen with Swift UK, hasn't and still isn't a recipe for quality.
It may be the case that other premium manufacturers work in a similar fashion, but if thats the case it doesn't appear to be so obvious, as they seem to last for many years and its normally only the ancillary items that play up like fridges, or water pumps, taps etc.
Minxy Girl, I do feel for you, I hope that having seen your evidence, that the dealer will get this sorted for you, maybe even reinforce the replacement tray with some edge support which it obviously needs.
Its always a fine line between being happy with, or falling out of favour with MH dealers, which we are just about to find out for ourselves, on a payload issue.
Best of luck, hope your happy soon, with a new shower tray in place.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The chap at the dealers has emailed me to confirm that they are passing all my info to Globecar so fingers crossed ... :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back