Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
After the SatNav arriving last week, we had our first trip with it, up to Edinburgh via strathclyde and back, with a lot of small trips out in between. Have to say I am really impressed with it. Love the lane guidance and pictures popping up for exits, I actually prefer it to my £250 TomTom. the only downside is the physical size of it, with already having a TV for the rear cam it takes up a lot of screen space, might look at dash mounting it, but apart from that, Highly recommended!!

I've Dash mounted mine with this from Hong Kong arrived within 2 weeks, cost £3-98 inc postage very good quality.

John.

Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a problem with my unit in that it would work OK from ResidentFlash but an updated version would not load from a MicroSD Card, just freeze half way through. The card was 16GB so not a lack of memory problem.

Today I bought two new 16GB MicroSD cards and decided to try one of those by copying the files I had backed up on this laptop to the card. Success, worked with no problems.

It appears, then, that some problems may be down to a MicroSD card becoming corrupted. Unfortunately I have no idea whether the corruption resulted from the unit or was an inherent fault on the card (it was unbranded but, I think, from Maplins so not a market stall or eBay cheapie).

One thing is certain. As with any computer files, it pays to keep at least one backup copy so that recovery can be attempted.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I used my Chinese sat nav last night for the first time, I set it for East Midlands airport to Pick my Sister up who was coming over from Cyprus where she lives.
I was very impressed with it and I purposely took a couple of wrong turnings and it very quickly rerouted, very nice voice directions too.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi JackieP.
Take them BOTH. Play one off against the other,thats what we did Chinese 7" TS/N. won hands down,however,there is one glaring fault........... To get the best from it,you have to be a techno wizard,i realized at an early age there was a huge gap between what i could do and what was needed to be done in"Techno Wizardry",so,i joined Motorhome Fun,there are members out there,BURSTING with Techno Whatsit,you only have to post a query about the Chinese S/N. and you will recieve more knowledge than you can shake a stick at,one member sent me a full downloadable instruction booklet,chapter and verse. A mates wife down loaded it and printed it (See footnote LOL). 666 ,(The grandson) updated it,so i am very happy with mine.
TAKE THEM BOTH and have a play.
Tea Bag
Footnote.
On trying to print the manual,watching the printed copies coming out,there was no "Big blue truck/advert" on the first five pages of the first five goes.Rings mates wife explains,she said e mail the lot over to her and she will sort it,half an hour later she rings to say "It's done!............. It prints the last page FIRST!!" PS. Just think.I could be driving TOWARDS you......... LOL!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
After the SatNav arriving last week, we had our first trip with it, up to Edinburgh via strathclyde and back, with a lot of small trips out in between. Have to say I am really impressed with it. Love the lane guidance and pictures popping up for exits, I actually prefer it to my £250 TomTom. the only downside is the physical size of it, with already having a TV for the rear cam it takes up a lot of screen space, might look at dash mounting it, but apart from that, Highly recommended!!
You could use it for the rear camera (although you might prefer to know what's behind as well as where you're going :)).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And there's one member, (No names) Ohh! go on then GJH(y)(y)(y) who's detailed instructions to me were so good that I sent them back to Elitefashions and respectfully pointed out that his instructions were far better than theirs.

They agreed, and said they would send his out in future.
I'd ask for royalties Chris!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And there's one member, (No names) Ohh! go on then GJH(y)(y)(y) who's detailed instructions to me were so good that I sent them back to Elitefashions and respectfully pointed out that his instructions were far better than theirs.

They agreed, and said they would send his out in future.
I'd ask for royalties Chris!!!
OI!! @Chris is a lawyer so he has plenty of money. Make all royalty cheques payable to Graham :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
If GJH's instructions went to 89 ? pages of do this,do that,that unlocks the 7" sat Nav,then he is the one who sent mine. I believe he sat down and collated all the info,printed it out and made it available for anyone who asked. Top Man.
While i am on here,if GJH cares to send me the winning numbers for the Euro Millions,(I would put nothing past this man) and i win,i will buy him a small pint. If he worked out the S/N, Euro-Millions numbers will be a doddle LOL.
Thanks for the instructions,i have,"Doris" speaking to me..."Verbose"! being SLIGHTLY deaf,i can hear her as long as the cab windows are UP!
TEA BAG !

durrant

Free Member
Aug 2, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi,
Help!!! Deleted contents of map folder then put brain cell in gear. Could someone point me in the right direction to download a copy of the .ftr file please? Sat nav working ok without, as you would expect but is taking me on longer routes than necessary. Use to work in schools part time looking after I.T. The number of times i've told staff and pupils to back things up and I go and delete the files without making a copy. No excuse but I am getting old, I was tired, I thought I new better, too complacent -- oops I think I'm making excuses. On a different note, I to would like to add my thanks to GJH for his SatNav instructions.
Phil

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi,
Help!!! Deleted contents of map folder then put brain cell in gear. Could someone point me in the right direction to download a copy of the .ftr file please? Sat nav working ok without, as you would expect but is taking me on longer routes than necessary. Use to work in schools part time looking after I.T. The number of times i've told staff and pupils to back things up and I go and delete the files without making a copy. No excuse but I am getting old, I was tired, I thought I new better, too complacent -- oops I think I'm making excuses. On a different note, I to would like to add my thanks to GJH for his SatNav instructions.
Phil
Gotta help after that compliment haven't I? :LOL:
EDIT - I thought that referred to my sat nav mounting notes until I saw the post above from @Tea Bag :D

If you let me have your e-mail address in a PM, Phil, I'll send you the .ftr file as an attachment. It's a different name but it works.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi.
If GJH's instructions went to 89 ? pages of do this,do that,that unlocks the 7" sat Nav,then he is the one who sent mine. I believe he sat down and collated all the info,printed it out and made it available for anyone who asked. Top Man.
While i am on here,if GJH cares to send me the winning numbers for the Euro Millions,(I would put nothing past this man) and i win,i will buy him a small pint. If he worked out the S/N, Euro-Millions numbers will be a doddle LOL.
Thanks for the instructions,i have,"Doris" speaking to me..."Verbose"! being SLIGHTLY deaf,i can hear her as long as the cab windows are UP!
TEA BAG !
I've only just seen this post and have to own up that it wasn't me :D It was @Trikeman who loaded it to the resources area.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Thanks for the info,so Trikemans the man,well done again,from me and..."Verbose-Doris!!" the Sat Nag/Hag . She is probably a very nice lady,i post this in "Jest" module.
Tea Bag

durrant

Free Member
Aug 2, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi
Graham I think i've PM you. Thanks for rescuing me with my deleted file. Got confused by who had contributed the satnav guide so my thanks to @Trikeman.

phil

durrant

Free Member
Aug 2, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Graham.
FTR file received. Thanks, will try it out tomorrow.
Phil

Reactions: GJH

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@irmbru

If you are loading poi files you need them in kml format.

You put the kml file in the folder /content/userdata/poi

If you have an associated icon file that goes in content/userdata/usericon

When you next start the satnav the pois will be converted to the correct format. 3 new files with the same file name with extension .kst, .knl & .kix will have been created

If you are replacing an existing set with a new set with the same file name you should delete the 4 files with the same filename from the userdata/poi folder first

hope this is clear

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks. I have the aires France loaded from 2 yrs ago but how do i update it. Is there files somewhere? And how do I add the camperstop app files thx. Ive not played with this sat nav since last time I used it abroad so my mind is rather rusty.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you have an associated icon file that goes in content/userdata/usericon
How is this generated? I made a xml file from a google map but theres no icon and the file has d/l as kml.xml. Is this right?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
So explain how its a lot simpler then Andy. (n)
You only need letters to spell GARMIN where as you need to use a / to spell Sat/Nav making it more difficult.
The extra complication of putting Chinese in front of Sat/Nav and the unnecessary capitalisations of the letters S and N are further possibilities for confusion.

Simples

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back