Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Booking a car via an on-line broker. Best price £180 for 10 days, car supplied by Avis.
Various on-line brokers were within £30 of that price.
Conditions include the usual huge excesses, no cover for tyres, windscreens and so on, but I have the stand alone policy (insurance4carhire) to deal with that.
Checked with Avis on-line, same car, same location, same dates, £800.
What am I missing?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you are booking through an agency your excess cover insurance will be through the agency (I suspect this is how they make their money) and has pretty strict rules on what documentation you need to claim. Also you usually have to pay the excess up front and then claim back from some third party insurer. I prefer to perhaps pay more but get the full excess cover insurance from the hire company, usually they dont even bother to check the vehicle back in as you have paid for any damage up front. Mind you at least Avis do not have a name for ripping off cutomers

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Make sure you check fuel policy some even charge a large fee to check you bought it back with the right amount in...........its a rip off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If the car has to be returned full, make the clerk photocopy the fuel receipt you hand in and that it's attached to the paperwork. Keep the photocopy.
If you refuel at LeClerc you usually gave the option of dual receipts. There was a scam a few years back where customers were charged a month later on the card they paid with, claiming the car was returned empty or half empty.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We went to Aberdeen last weekend,
All the car hire websites were £150 for the weekend. Went on ebookers and booked with Keddy for £50. Got to the airport and it was Europcar who had also been £150!
Had a large excess but no issues with the car at all.
If its Avis you'll probably be fine!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back