Apr 2, 2016
Wigan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Two Weeks :)
Hello,
I recently bought a Weinsberg Komet (Think Hymer 544) and when refueling, after just a small amount of fuel it backs up and 'hoofs' a load of diesel out but is clearly not full.

If i only half squeeze the trigger, it goes in but fully and it doesn't. Nothing seems to be blocking teh tube.

Any ideas ?

Ed

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
There will be a breather pipe that vents back into the neck of the filler pipe . Some where in the vent pipe there is a restriction . Its possible the vent pipe has been crushed . I had it happen on a merc panel van years ago real pain to get too Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There may be a restriction at the base of the tube where it joins the tank.. A plastic grid .. my transit had one on before I got rid and I still have problems if the pump nozzle isn't in the filler tube just right...
Think its fitted to stop fuel been syphoned off..
Try sliding a tube all the way down the filler pipe to tank... If it hits a restriction that will be it..
Andy..

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Maybe stop trying to put in cheap diesel?:whistle: Obviously doesn't like it and it's barfing it back out.:imoutahere:
Either that, or as the other guys say, the breather pipe may be blocked?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it isn't a standard factory fit tank and filler neck from the factory and has been altered by the body builders (A class) it may have a restriction in it. I think you will have to have a crawl under your Moho to see what's going on.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Since new my Mercedes based Piloted has done this, it's because the filler is too near the tank, on later models they had the filler a lot higher. It makes it a right pain when refuelling I try to fill slowly but if it's a fast pump I usually give up after a while

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
I had the same problem on my Merc' based LeVoyageur. Took ages to fill the tank, what a pain in the ass.
Nothing you can do about it, but you could get the other half out to give the van a bit of a polish whilst your wating. :sneaky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Try turning the filler sideways or even upside down, even through an imaginary clock face when filling, you will find a sweet spot im 99% sure(y)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Try turning the filler sideways or even upside down, even through an imaginary clock face when filling, you will find a sweet spot im 99% sure(y)
I try this Geo but it can be pump dependant, some 45° others a bit more or some nothing helps

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If a sweet spot is not found then obstruction is the only other logical reason.
An obstruction does not always mean a blockage, it can often be a simple step or ridge at pipes joint or tank creating a back lash, that effects the cut off system in the pumps, as you say some are more prone or sensitive than others
Dropping a lighted match in the filler neck when filling often clears any obstruction along with the petrol station the vehicle and usually the operator too :whistle::rolleyes::imoutahere:
That last comment means iv'e run out of sensible solutions:RollEyes:
G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back