ELM 327 OBDII problem (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I´ve just bought this interface using the link given by Techno, but can´t get it to work.
It will pair with my phone using Bluetooth, but the Torque app on my phone just keeps saying `adaptor not found´.
This is on a 2011 2.3 130bhp Fiat Ducato, phone is Motorola moto g using android 5.1.
I sent an email to the vendor, but the reply just said ´must be a compatibility problem, send it back´, which was not the answer I was hoping for. I´ve looked on the internet, and the ELM327 is definitely compatible with my Fiat.
Also, when I turn the engine on with the reader plugged in, all the warning lights stay lit - surely that shouldn´t happen?
Any help much appreciated!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
sounds like a duff plug.
I had similar experience but not all warning lights stayed on with the engine running and the fuel gauge kept swinging up and down.
replacement works OK.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you are using TORQUE PRO....Turn on your phone and try to connect with the adaptor.
on the menu page click "adaptor status"
The text below the "adaptor error count" tab should tell you if there's a fault..

You have turned on both Bluetooth and Bluetooth tethering and made your phone visible I presume.
If tethering and visibility aren't on it won't work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It might be a duff adapter alough I initially had the same problem on my Fiat-based MH but I just jiggled the adapter around and it eventually linked up to my Samsung tablet. Probably not exactly the technical answer you were looking for but I'm not exactly technically gifted! Ps used it a few weeks ago when a yellow warning light came up on the dashboard, it correctly diagnosed the fault when compared to the garage's diagnostic machine which impressed the Sardinian mechanic. Unfortunately the adapter did not repair the van which cost 500 euros...

OP
OP
daveinspain
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
sounds like a duff plug.
I had similar experience but not all warning lights stayed on with the engine running and the fuel gauge kept swinging up and down.
replacement works OK.
Thanks berni109, I think it is a duff unit.

If you are using TORQUE PRO....Turn on your phone and try to connect with the adaptor.
on the menu page click "adaptor status"
The text below the "adaptor error count" tab should tell you if there's a fault..

You have turned on both Bluetooth and Bluetooth tethering and made your phone visible I presume.
If tethering and visibility aren't on it won't work.

Bluetooth is paired, and under ´adapter settings` - Bluetooth Settings - OBDII shows.

Can´t find ´adaptor status´ anywhere under settings, pappajohn.
Opening Fault Log Manager I get the message ´Not connected to OBD interface connect then try again´, and opening Real Time Info the message is ´connecting to OBDII - adapter not found - retrying´.

It might be a duff adapter alough I initially had the same problem on my Fiat-based MH but I just jiggled the adapter around and it eventually linked up to my Samsung tablet. Probably not exactly the technical answer you were looking for but I'm not exactly technically gifted! Ps used it a few weeks ago when a yellow warning light came up on the dashboard, it correctly diagnosed the fault when compared to the garage's diagnostic machine which impressed the Sardinian mechanic. Unfortunately the adapter did not repair the van which cost 500 euros...

Ouch! That must have hurt! Thanks for your reply, it´such a tight fit that you can´t jiggle it around!

I think you have to pair it within the app perhaps

As pappajohn said, you have to pair it with your phone via bluetooth first, then launch the Torque app and, under settings, select OBDII, and is should connect - but not in this case! very frustrating.

Reactions: SMB

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does your desktop look like this ?

Screenshot_2016-06-11-17-36-36.png

If so, click adaptor status (in blue)

Then it should show this....

Screenshot_2016-06-11-17-36-56.png

Look under adaptor error counts.....ANYTHING but 0 indicates a faulty unit.

Icons in blue at top left...satellite, phone, adaptor .......should also show a steady car icon if its connected.

OP
OP
daveinspain
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Pappajohn, while I was searching online to find a screenshot of what my desktop looks like, I chanced on a video that showed you can rotate the plugins round the dial, which I was unaware of :rolleyes:, so my desktop now looks like yours! The adapter Error count was 0 errors, 3 other faults. The status showed that the app connected to the OBD2 adapter, but not the ECU. I don´t know if its important, but the socket on my motorhome is a different shape to that of the adapter, i.e. rectangular rather than d-shaped, and it is not easy to connect the adapter to it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's your problem.....wrong shaped OBD port.
The pin designation will be different as well as the physical shape so it won't ever work.

You need to go to ebay and search for an obd adaptor lead.
They are on eBay, you just need to find the correct plug with the correct number of pins.
Plug the lead into the vans odd port then plug the ELM into the lead.
I doubt you will get the full benefit of the ELM module due to limited compatibility with your ECU but it should at least clear fault codes.

Last edited:
?

Deleted User
Ebay and get the proper cables for around 20 quid. Go to the Fiat forum and download the proper multiscan software and plug van into laptop. Done

Here you can get it from the site. Different levels starting from free

http://www.multiecuscan.net/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back