LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I broke in and "hotwired" a 1999 motorhome for MMM in under 20 seconds for an article!

The more I learn about security, the worse I feel about what we have.

Any idea how long it would take to break into and hot wire a Mercedes Sprinter?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This has Ben a grat thread I have learnt so much how to pick locks open safes and even use a biro
Now that I have learnt all that I am off on a crime spree pleas put on funster face book when you are all off on holiday
PS @bigfoot hop you get things sorted soon and it has a positive out come and you get your scimitar back
Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry to hear about this..:( our worst nightmare..

can't really add anything that hasn't already been said.. just hope it's a happy ending..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I don't know how that immobiliser was bypassed but access to a Transit van cab?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The more I learn about security, the worse I feel about what we have.

Any idea how long it would take to break into and hot wire a Mercedes Sprinter?
Hot wiring your Sprinter at the moment is very difficult

The Ford software has been the problem.

All down to the EU I am afraid! In a bid to bring everything down to the lowest denomination, certain information has to be in the public domain, like access and re-programming codes.

There is a little box that when plugged into the Ford On Board Diagnostic Port/Plug (OBDP) will allow a blank key to be coded in seconds

If your alarm installer has been idle and simple linked your aftermarket alarm into the CAN BUS system to save the installer time, the alarm is disabled with the new key along with the vehicle manufacturers security methods.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

All down to the EU I am afraid! In a bid to bring everything down to the lowest denomination, certain information has to be in the public domain, like access and re-programming codes.

There is a little box that when plugged into the Ford On Board Diagnostic Port/Plug (OBDP) will allow a blank key to be coded in seconds

If your alarm installer has been idle and simple linked your aftermarket alarm into the CAN BUS system to save the installer time, the alarm is disabled with the new key along with the vehicle manufacturers security methods.
Eddie, please can you tell me this, I have a 02 ford ranger pickup, Mazda, I have only ever had one key to it and I have tried everywhere to get another, but no ordinary locksmith can make one they say you have to have the whole door to bits and then get ford to supply one which is about £200 , is this so in your experience, but on the plus side they do say you can't start it without the right key, if this is so surely we have gone backwards.(n)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear about the theft of your pride and joy. I do hope the van is found safe and sound.
The thieving scrotes will probably get away with it even if your van is recovered I'm afraid. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So what's the answer? A hungry rotti sitting in the motorhome? :)

Ian

Reactions: f6c

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Sorry that Ford vehicles have this issue but pleased that the Merc is a little safer from being driven away. Getting inside it though, that is a different matter, although I have taken a number of precautions that I hope will deter a scrote.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Eddie, please can you tell me this, I have a 02 ford ranger pickup, Mazda, I have only ever had one key to it and I have tried everywhere to get another, but no ordinary locksmith can make one they say you have to have the whole door to bits and then get ford to supply one which is about £200 , is this so in your experience, but on the plus side they do say you can't start it without the right key, if this is so surely we have gone backwards.(n)

I may be wrong but our Mazda Bongo campervan was difficult at first to get replacement keys for but then we found a key cutter who did them with ease - the Bongo and Ranger were based on the same chasis etc. and I wonder if they shared the same locks. Does your key have a code engraved onto it?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It has gone backwards recently. Your vehicle will not be at risk of what is called "keyless" theft

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt they stopped it yet, if they knew where it was a couple of hours ago it ought to be home now.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I may be wrong but our Mazda Bongo campervan was difficult at first to get replacement keys for but then we found a key cutter who did them with ease - the Bongo and Ranger were based on the same chasis etc. and I wonder if they shared the same locks. Does your key have a code engraved onto it?
Yeah, I can get keys that open the doors no problem, but won't start it:(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yeah, I can get keys that open the doors no problem, but won't start it:(

I guess that you have an immobiliser chip in the fob. I believe that these chips can be copied so you may need to glue the chip onto a key that you have had cut.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Based on computer security, I long ago came to the conclusion that nothing is 100% secure. You always have to balance security against convenience.
The only secure computer is one in a sealed steal box with no keyboard/mouse or other io ports and not connected to the internet and even that only goes so far.

The same applies to vans. If they are determined to have it away they will do so no matter what steps you take. So you have to balance what makes it harder for them without making it too inconvenient for you. As I do with servers, I wanted security in multiple layers so it requires the thief to breach multiple layers of defence to get away with my van.

None of this is much help to you @bigfoot and you do have my deepest sympathies, I can imagine it must be heartbreaking :(

On my van my first steps were physical. I fitted good quality deadlocks to all the doors on my van. You can even see the cockups I made :(
https://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/fitting-deadlocks

Thieves wouldn't waste time trying to pick these to get into my van. It would make it unsaleable as it stood. Thieves like a quick way to escape and the only way into my van due to these is to smash a window and climb in. If they got disturbed they would have to climb back out, not exactly a fast exit.

I haven't fitted any further security on this van other than a safe as I didn't expect to keep it this long. However my next van will be fitted with tracker, remote immobiliser alarm system which I bought off Amazon for £18 (now £20). Don't let the price fool you.
It is a tracker, it allows you to remotely disable the vehicle. GPS Fence. SMS remote control, remote mic monitoring plus loads and loads more.

It is a cracking good little bit of technology. http://amzn.to/1t5mAKf

If money was no object. I would fit the deadlocks again, and get a @eddievanbitz alarm system with remote immobiliser and one of his effing loud alarms.

A combination of deadlocks, tracker and alarm and I think you are set.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Based on computer security, I long ago came to the conclusion that nothing is 100% secure. You always have to balance security against convenience.
The only secure computer is one in a sealed steal box with no keyboard/mouse or other io ports and not connected to the internet and even that only goes so far.

The same applies to vans. If they are determined to have it away they will do so no matter what steps you take. So you have to balance what makes it harder for them without making it too inconvenient for you. As I do with servers, I wanted security in multiple layers so it requires the thief to breach multiple layers of defence to get away with my van.

None of this is much help to you @bigfoot and you do have my deepest sympathies, I can imagine it must be heartbreaking :(

On my van my first steps were physical. I fitted good quality deadlocks to all the doors on my van. You can even see the cockups I made :(
https://www.fulltiming.info/self-build-motorhome/fitting-deadlocks

Thieves wouldn't waste time trying to pick these to get into my van. It would make it unsaleable as it stood. Thieves like a quick way to escape and the only way into my van due to these is to smash a window and climb in. If they got disturbed they would have to climb back out, not exactly a fast exit.

I haven't fitted any further security on this van other than a safe as I didn't expect to keep it this long. However my next van will be fitted with tracker, remote immobiliser alarm system which I bought off Amazon for £18 (now £20). Don't let the price fool you.
It is a tracker, it allows you to remotely disable the vehicle. GPS Fence. SMS remote control, remote mic monitoring plus loads and loads more.

It is a cracking good little bit of technology. http://amzn.to/1t5mAKf

If money was no object. I would fit the deadlocks again, and get a @eddievanbitz alarm system with remote immobiliser and one of his effing loud alarms.

A combination of deadlocks, tracker and alarm and I think you are set.

Just ordered one - thanks.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
hope it all ends well for you @bigfoot , im a bit miffed about how easy it is to pick one of those cylindrical locks ,i had additional locks fitted on my MH and they have the same type of key slots that the one in the video has ,could have saved myself a few quid.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No doubt professionally fitted alarms / immobilisers / etc are best for prevention & deterrence of theft & of course a decent tracker can assist in locating the vehicle once it's gone.

As I've stated on here before simply pulling the OBD port fuse & physically moving the OBD port can be a very effective free D.I.Y. method of preventing the vehicle being started by unauthorised access to the OBD port, as it takes lot's of time to overcome & one thing these thieving scumbags generally don't have is the time.

We use the above methodology & Diskloks & clutch locks on our cars & the MH.

It also does the interior light on a Transit so a degree of rewiring is required if you simply pull the fuse.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry that Ford vehicles have this issue but pleased that the Merc is a little safer from being driven away. Getting inside it though, that is a different matter, although I have taken a number of precautions that I hope will deter a scrote.

Different technique used for Sprinters, which involves the thief replacing a few components on the vehicle with those from a "donor" vehicle. I won't go into details but if you look up Sprinters on various van security websites you'll find anti-theft equipment for sale designed to prevent or at least delay the method. Sprinters are still fairly high up the list of most stolen light commercial vehicles.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Different technique used for Sprinters, which involves the thief replacing a few components on the vehicle with those from a "donor" vehicle. I won't go into details but if you look up Sprinters on various van security websites you'll find anti-theft equipment for sale designed to prevent or at least delay the method. Sprinters are still fairly high up the list of most stolen light commercial vehicles.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of the donor vehicle technique.

billy&val

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
swansea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
very sorry for you even if you get it back you wont feel the same about the van if only these low down scum bags could know how something like this can make you feel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back