Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Gutted for you, please keep us all posted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Jesus ! How easy. I guess nothing will deter a determined Pro tea leaf, but a chancer would be put off.
Phil

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the are techniques to pick these locks which don't involve this tool; you would be disappointed to know how easy they are to pick. I am about to junk my crook locks and bike locks using this type of lock - you won't find many items sold with them in shops now because they are so easy to pick.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thieving Bastards, why bother working for a living ? Just thieve.
I use an old fashioned "Crooklock" on mine.
How do these Bastards do it ?
Phil

No doubt professionally fitted alarms / immobilisers / etc are best for prevention & deterrence of theft & of course a decent tracker can assist in locating the vehicle once it's gone.

As I've stated on here before simply pulling the OBD port fuse & physically moving the OBD port can be a very effective free D.I.Y. method of preventing the vehicle being started by unauthorised access to the OBD port, as it takes lot's of time to overcome & one thing these thieving scumbags generally don't have is the time.

We use the above methodology & Diskloks & clutch locks on our cars & the MH.

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
Sorry to hear of your demise, good luck in getting it back!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sorry to hear these b'stards have swiped your van, you must be gutted. There seem to be no consequences for such thieving scum these days even if caught, therefore no deterrent.

If the van has been reported stolen and the tracker has activated, should the police not be on top of this already? Not having had a tracker, I don't know the operational parameters, but presumably it should help the law track down the vehicle location? Unless the vehicle is subsequently hidden in some manner of cloaking device or the tracker is discovered and disabled of course.

Do any trackers allow the vehicle owner to track the vehicle directly, in addition to the tracker company/police etc?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I assume you mean using a Biro. I wondered about this so tried it, yes, just as easy as using a key.

The very same. Maybe appropriate to share this just in case peeps think that their expensive E-bikes etc. are safe with D-Locks with cylinder locks or their vehicles are safe using a cyclinder lock crook-lock ...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The very same. Maybe appropriate to share this just in case peeps think that their expensive E-bikes etc. are safe with D-Locks with cylinder locks or their vehicles are safe using a cyclinder lock crook-lock ...

Does this problem apply to all locks or just the cheaper, non rated ones?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Does this problem apply to all locks or just the cheaper, non rated ones?

I believe that it is all cylinder type locks - like this:

hardened-manganese-steel-bike-lock-chain.jpg

The video posted above is 9 years old - part of the reason why so many people were complaining that even companies such as Kryptonite continued to use the locks that were very expensive and promised high security but could be picked in less than a minute.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But, unfortunately, even the "new, improved" locks can be picked - if you have the right equipment:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The very same. Maybe appropriate to share this just in case peeps

The method I saw and used was to heat the Biro so it created an indented key shape. I used it on my daughter's bicycle U-lock, she was horrified when she saw how easy it was.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Sorry to hear you vans been nicked,i hope you get it back soon all in good order

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
PLEASE STOP POSTING HOW EASY IT IS TO PICK LOCKS WITH A VIDEO AS WELL.

We can stop - but that won't stop scrotes seeing the videos on Youtube and if we stopped, how many people would be aware of the ease in which these locks are picked? Maybe some peeps might save some heart-break / pain / loss by buying a better lock that the ones that they are using now.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@RowleyBirkinQC we have smartrack tracker. Kids often log on to website (we give them password) and they can see exactly where we are when set of for long winter trips. If we are away from home in the car we can also check our van is still parked where it should be. Is this what you mean?

Won't stop them nicking it but may help recover it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
better to show people how weak the so called security devices are. The thieves know all about the weaknesses and more tricks than would cross an honest persons mind
much like the pathetically weak digital safes which can be opened in seconds

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

P.s. If you are inclined, type something like "Pick RV lock" into Youtube - the first two videos may show you how insecure an RV habitation door is. The others will show you how to pick a padlock, Yale lock, Fuel lock etc

My conclusion is: Very few locks are secure but the better the lock, the longer it will take to get in. Alarms and dogs may be a deterrent. Once inside, the thief will look for easily disposable valuables so anything of value - cash, jewelry etc. should be hidden. Technological devices should have remote tracking apps installed and vehicles installed with some form of reliable immobiliser and tracker.

All items of value should be photographed (ideally with receipts) and kept hidden. A copy of these images along with other valuable electronic documents should be kept off site - at a friend or family member's house in the event of fire / theft / flood in your own property. Make sure that the hard drive / usb drive is encrypted and that someone else knows the password just in case you are not the one that needs to access the insurance / financial / last will and testament details.

Make sure that the insurance covers the replacement costs, that the insurance is up to date and renewed on time and that you stop carrying 15 iPads, 20 iPods and 50 iPhones when sleeping in French Aires.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
better to show people how weak the so called security devices are. The thieves know all about the weaknesses and more tricks than would cross an honest persons mind

Like this?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Or this?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Or this for your hotel safe?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I broke in and "hotwired" a 1999 motorhome for MMM in under 20 seconds for an article!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back