Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all,

What is the preferred power source for motorhome audio? Currently I have basic stereo in cab running from starter battery.

I plan to upgrade stereo and possibly add an amp and speaker upgrade. Switch to select between power sources or wire to leisure battery and hope don't forget to turn off?

Anyone else upgraded audio - speakers / amp in MH?

Cheers

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
First thing I did to mine was to wire the cab radio to the leisure supply. At least then one has the means to monitor and/or charge the battery. Has caused me no issues over the last couple of years.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Got something very much the same as this below, all our music is played via a USB flash drive with hundreds of our fave road songs on it, also has the same mapping on the built in sat nav as the chinese models people on here rave about.
Amazon product ASIN B00GNBKB7W

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a Sony BT head unit and amp and a sub woofer which sits nicely under the passenger seat. Powered from the starter battery. We tend to use spotify a lot whilst on the move. No issues.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would be scared to turn my cab radio on for fear of flattening starter battery. Its an AT media centre so might not even work off battery. I dont know but rather than risk it I just listen to the radio channels on the tv.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have had mine fitted.I have a switch on dash that connects to leisure battery when van ignition is turned off it automatically uses cab battery when ignition is on.hope this helps

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We have no special audio, but I've rewired the cab radio/satnav, the 12v power sockets in the cab, the additional USB charging sockets I've fitted and the rear view cameras to the leisure battery via a spare terminal on the Elektrobloc. The objective is to be able to use all of these without risking the starter battery going flat.

(Why the rear view cameras? Because that's the only part of the van I can't see from inside) (y)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Ours has a switch on the dash which I assume connects to the leisure battery when the vehicle ignition is off but, I could be wrong. If it doesn't it will soon.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks all, think I will follow suit with main power source from the leisure battery, I do worry about turning it down, forgetting to turn it off and causing stress on the leisure battery hence the switch to select.

@Masman that set up sounds interesting - i guess with the auto selection of the Leisure battery you need to make sure its switched off though to avoid drain if leaving MH?

Looks nice I would love a double din unit @Toxic Clown ....currently only got a hole for single tho...the pioneer model I had been looking at seemed to be fitted to the majority of the new MH's for sale at the NEC .....just securing it is the issue.

@sdc77 - was hoping for DAB but think I will go just BT if going single DIN unit - also plan to use spotify and been busy filling the hudl with downloaded tracks ......good thing is since having motorhome I have found uses for a tablet, sat nav, audio, Sky go, iplayer papp. I have never quite managed to get to grips with losing a tactile keyboard until now .......What type of sub do you use is it flat style one along these lines?

upload_2015-10-29_13-18-46.jpeg

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Thanks all, think I will follow suit with main power source from the leisure battery, I do worry about turning it down, forgetting to turn it off and causing stress on the leisure battery hence the switch to select.

@Masman that set up sounds interesting - i guess with the auto selection of the Leisure battery you need to make sure its switched off though to avoid drain if leaving MH?

Looks nice I would love a double din unit @Toxic Clown ....currently only got a hole for single tho...the pioneer model I had been looking at seemed to be fitted to the majority of the new MH's for sale at the NEC .....just securing it is the issue.

@sdc77 - was hoping for DAB but think I will go just BT if going single DIN unit - also plan to use spotify and been busy filling the hudl with downloaded tracks ......good thing is since having motorhome I have found uses for a tablet, sat nav, audio, Sky go, iplayer papp. I have never quite managed to get to grips with losing a tactile keyboard until now .......What type of sub do you use is it flat style one along these lines?

View attachment 80866
Yes you are right.The switch does have a red light on it to remind you to turn it off.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

View attachment 80866
Hi yes similar to that. . Just fits in the space under the front pas seat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back