Problems with oven and grill - help please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm having problems with my oven and grill cutting out. I've been back twice to the dealers and they say it's the fans - they replaced both the last time we took it in.

I tried to use the oven yesterday and it cut out again. It lights but after a while it cuts out and can't be relit. The same thing has happened again today. I've managed to relight it again and have left it on to see what happens. One thought I have is that it's cutting out when temperature is reached is that the way the oven regulates the temperature (by cutting out and reigniting). My feeling is that an oven wouldn't regulate the temperature in that way but am running out of ideas!

It's just clicked and cut out again. The fans are running and it's not reignited yet. This was exactly what's happened previously when we took it back to the dealers.

When we took it back to the dealers they seemed adamant it wasn't the thermostat. Has anyone ideas as to what might be causing it?

A trip up to the dealers isn't something we want to have to do as its up in Telford and we live on the south coast and we've been back for snags three times already! I'm wondering if it's the done thing to ask the dealers to nominate a repairer nearer to our home and they foot the bill? Has anyone done this?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
May I suggest you list what motorhome you have and what model cooker so that people can tell you how theirs operates as a comparison ??

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, of course.... Our MH is a Neisamnn and Bischoff Arto 76e and the oven is a Thetford OG72000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Thetford oven and the grill keeps cutting out. However, when I put a naked flame on the oven thermostat below, the grill will stay lite, indicating the grill thermostat is u.s. Changed the grill thermostat and it still will not stay on and yet both the oven and grill thermostat are connected to the same point. A complete and utter mystery to me and so no longer use the grill.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Is it worth having a word with Johns Cross Motorhomes to see if they can do anything for you under warranty. They are pretty switched on so may know the solution. Certainly cheaper to pay them a few quid than to drive miles to a dealer

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Is it worth having a word with Johns Cross Motorhomes to see if they can do anything for you under warranty. They are pretty switched on so may know the solution. Certainly cheaper to pay them a few quid than to drive miles to a dealer
Yes, it would be cheaper but the alarm was fitted by Travelworld so I think it will have to be dealt with by them. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks for the replies

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Im surprised that you ve got the Thetford as most Artos come with the Dometic techtower. Is your one of travelworld's conversions to a 3/4 fridge with oven and microwave above?

If its a Dometic, they reccomend that you run it with the door open for the first couple of minutes and then it will stay lit, cant remember why - flame failure device perhaps?

Jon

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Sounds like it could be the thermocouple, this normally keeps it lit unless faulty. Trip to dealer required, I'm afraid.
Cheers, Dave(y)

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
We had probs with our gas oven going out, turned out to be nothing wrong, but a combination of factors.

Oven needed a draught to to stay lit, so, if the roof vent was not open we had to open the the bottom door, (pan storage) to get the air through

Maybe experiment and note when the hab door is open /closed or roof vent open/closed etc to look for a pattern

We soon learnt that if it went out we would relight and then open the roof vent

Worth a try?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Im surprised that you ve got the Thetford as most Artos come with the Dometic techtower. Is your one of travelworld's conversions to a 3/4 fridge with oven and microwave above?

If its a Dometic, they reccomend that you run it with the door open for the first couple of minutes and then it will stay lit, cant remember why - flame failure device perhaps?

Jon
Hi Jon,

Yes, we have a full sized fridge but no separate freezer - the freezer's inside the fridge. Above the fridge is the oven and above the oven is the microwave. I liked it because I didn't like the oven being at the top of the tower as I'm fairly short and worried about getting hot dishes in and out of the oven above my head.

The fridge is Dometic and the microwave is Siemens.... I've just been out to double check :rolleyes: I've got the brand right and it is Thetford !

I'm going to check the open door method and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the hint

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back