how long do you keep yours... (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We started camping about 20 years ago, since then we have been on a constant run of changes, we had 2 or 3 tents then 2 or 3 folding campers and then 3 caravans until we've finally ended up with our first MH, it seems every couple of years we're changing/ upgrading so I just wondered if we're not on our own, do most people change every couple of years or do you keep things for ages, I can see in a couple of years time we'll be changing the current MH, not sure where this cycle will end, a private jet maybe..

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I think for most of us there's always another van that "looks like it might be a better option" but as we get older the urge to change/upgrade/downsize or whatever, gets less and we tend to be more content with what we have - and what we have is often the last of a long line of changes.
There are of course those who get it right first time and remain happy with their lot.
For me, the van I now have is a model I've been searching for for (?) years but had never seen one for sale at the right price, until recently. I have to admit though, it's number 9 - but that is in 40 years travelling so not too bad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never understand people changing their vans unless their needs have changed.

I run my vans until they die or in the case of the Wagon (aka The Black Beast) re-registering is too expensive.

Hardly a week goes by with someone asking me if I will sell my 1987 Hymer 660S...

I tell them I will sell it to them for €25,000.00.

(Of course I wouldn't really sell it as I couldn't find a better replacement at that price.)

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never understand people changing their vans unless their needs have changed.

likewise..
over the years have had many, but only ever changed due to circumstances... family getting bigger then smaller .. full time or part time.. etc

the latest one will probably see us out..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Four in the last 12 months. The outfit am running at the minute was almost sold the day I bought it, as a matter of fact there was interest in it before I had transhiped the stuff out of the previous one. But I do value my life a little more than that:whistle:.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
likewise..
over the years have had many, but only ever changed due to circumstances... family getting bigger then smaller .. full time or part time.. etc
Me too. I put so much effort into sorting out niggles & modifying where I think its appropriate that I never want to start again.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
likewise..

the latest one will probably see us out..
This....

First van, only two of us, then two kids, sold when No.2 was six months old.
Second van, four of us, kept until No.2 was five
Now on van three (with bunks), think it's good for the next few years.
Maybe rear singles for van four (depends on how kids/teenagers are turning out)
Hopefully, van five will be long term touring for the two of us - bit of a way off so not thinking too much about it yet...

We're also not ones to change for the sake of it !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Currently on our 10th, def the last ( said that at least 5 times)
Like Bertie , still with first wife !!!
not sure how she puts up with me.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've lost count of how many I've had. Changes were usually prompted by a change of circumstances. When my boys were young I ran a 7 berth mh because I needed it.
When I was between wives I bought a 3 berth Dethleffs which was ideal for me, when remarried we realised we needed more space with a low level bed and a separate shower, hence current mh. I plan to keep this for as long as I can keep a licence to drive it (C+E)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Like the OP we've been camping for many years and started off with a little A Frame when we were on our own. As kids came along we moved on to a series of Frame tents then on to a small trailer tent which was a bit small for us with 2 growing kids who were by now 5 & 8 so bought a bigger trailer tent.

We then moved on to caravans and probably had about 4 before we got the layout right for us. Kept the last one for several years and then decided it was too big for just the 2 of us and went back to a folding camper.

Didn't keep that long as it was freezing when we used it in September for our holidays and ended up in a hotel for the last couple of nights! Went straight back to another caravan. Kept that a few years and then decided on a MH as we wanted to tour more rather than just staying on campsites.

We're on our 3rd one now but each change was for a particular reason. Our current van we're really happy with and not planning on changing it. We'll keep this one at least until we know whether Joe will be able to still drive it once he reaches 70. If we have to go back to 3.5 ton then we've decided we'll go back to a caravan.

Denise

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Only ever owned one........... still got it :rolleyes: :whistle:

I must be a bit boring too,, only ever had the one,, same as wives. :confused:

Snap,
Only had the one, only really doing any touring in the past couple years.... Goodness knows what will happen in the future.... maybe another, maybe a complete change in direction.
Time tends to steer us in a direction we never expect.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Three motorhomes in twenty years but a long gap in between numbers two and the current one due to family circumstances.

Still have the same Drake though and he's a keeper.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've still got the orange Vango Force 10 ridge tent I first used 40 years ago. I haven't slept in it for over a decade but it would still do the job. I also still have the lightweight tent I used when backpacking the Pembs Coast Path in 1987.

Truth be told, the only camping kit we ever got rid of was our Conway Oxford Trailer Tent, a cheapo dome tent, and (eventually) the 1975 VW Kombi which we owned for 7 years between the Trailer Tent and the MH.

Our first MH (which we bought new) is 10 years old this year with just less than 50,000 on the clock, so barring any serious leaks it's still got some life left in it. I see no reason to change while it's running properly. I have a similar attitude with cars - we had a Nissan Sunny Estate for 12 years and a Megane soft top for 10 years. My Dad used to change his car every 18 months.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Surely Motorhomes are much the same as 'other stuff' ?

I've known people who changed their entire living room - including furniture, carpets and décor - every 12 to 18 months. Batty. One of them whilst visiting a mutual friend, spied a piece of Lladro and fell in love with it. So she went out and bought every piece of it she could find.

It doesn't look the same at all when there are 20 pieces plonked on every flat surface in a room!

Anyway, I guess cars and motorhomes or caravans or tents, are just the same. People either treat them as disposable like tights - ladder them, sling them away - or expensive possessions, made to be used - but looked after - so they continue to be used for the foreseeable future. Like OUR 3 piece suite, carpet and ornaments etc.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bought our Mizar 7 years ago. Got it right first time. If the kids still came with us , I think we'd have kept her a lot longer.
She's now for sale , waiting for another family.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...pclass-2006-30k-on-clock.105202/#post-1366204
Ralphs wanted a pvc since day one. Impossible for what we wanted with 3 kids . Now there's just us Two the time was right for him to buy a brand new xlwb van and build it to our exact requirements. While we still had a healthy income to do it right. We plan on keeping Pug indefinately. He will become what everyone calls the old sheds , a classic !

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Sounds to me like most of us have the same ideas, just varies according to circumstances.

We have had 4 and the last for coming up 8 years and no plans to change it. One of the main factors is that you personalise it to fit, then don't want the hassle of doing it all again. Or am I getting old. :-(

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds to me like most of us have the same ideas, just varies according to circumstances.

We have had 4 and the last for coming up 8 years and no plans to change it. One of the main factors is that you personalise it to fit, then don't want the hassle of doing it all again. Or am I getting old. :-(

You're right, seems like we're oddballs, I think having caravans previously has helped us get the layout right so there's no reason for us to change other than getting the 'i wants', never say never but I can't see us getting a fixed bed model, we had them as caravans and to us it's just dead space so fingers crossed we'll have many years with the current one

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I should 'fes up' and add that the one I bought and still have is because we have only been MH'ing for two years now :rolleyes:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like Hilldweller we have had ours 8 years and 44k miles and no thoughts of changing it yet, haven't seen another we like. On top of that have nearly sorted out all the niggles I have found over the years and customised it to our liking, though we my go for new carpets soon as ours have nearly worn out and even I think they are a little scruffy now.

Bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
5 years and still not fallen out of love with it!
In fact we have never seen another model on the market which fulfills all our requirements like ours does.
I think we will say the same in 5 years time too!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
1st one about 9 months. This one was new about 8-9 months ago and will be staying a long time. There's nothing we want or need to change about it so we won't. As long as it stays dry and mechanically sound no reason why it shouldn't be a 15+ year job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back