LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Had a terrible shock when I went to my motorhome today to check on it .... I didn't know where to turn...

OK.... maybe it wasn't as bad as that but I DID FIND MOUSE POO IN CUPBOARDS AND ON BED AND ON KITCHEN FLOOR and IN THE LOCKER FROM OUTSIDE WHICH GIVES ACCESS TO MY MATTRESS UNDERNEATH. I have put poison sachets down .... but now live in dread of walking in and finding maggots everywhere!!! iT IS a pain going to the storage unit but will as often as needed ... do I need to go everyday from now on to look for a dead mouse or will I still be ok only going once a week.... don't normally use poison but they are also in my engine this time and just totally freaked me out. :(

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Joy, can you set some traps as with poison they will crawl away and smell when dead. At present I have six traps in the van and a sonic scarer yet they still come in and I still catch them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It takes quite a lot of poison and time to kill them....it is very slow acting.
You may need a few dishes before you find dead ones.

Another problem is they possibly won't die in the open and you will never find them.

Spring traps and glue mats will ensure you can find the dead ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy, can you set some traps as with poison they will crawl away and smell when dead. At present I have six traps in the van and a sonic scarer yet they still come in and I still catch them.
I don't know if I could do that... but thank you. It makes sense. This is the first time I have even considered killing them ... it goes against everything that I believe in but I just am financially not able to handle any destruction they may do... ... I don't think I would be able to cope with seeing a little mouse in a trap cut in half and knowing I did it .. a dead one is going to be bad enough ... plus trying to pick up two halves is a bit daunting too. Thank you anyway .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Don't worry Joy, the mouse will die, there probably aren't any flies around to lay eggs. If they did the maggots would turn to flies that would die with no food - so you will end up with a dried up mouse and lots of dead flies - and no smell............

:xThumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It takes quite a lot of poison and time to kill them....it is very slow acting.
You may need a few dishes before you find dead ones.

Another problem is they possibly won't die in the open and you will never find them.

Spring traps and glue mats will ensure you can find the dead ones.
Hi John, I wouldn't ever use glue mats, but do see the sense in traps but see what I have written about.... Can you tell me will the dead ones just rot away if they are hidden in the tubes or pipes or whatever? What do I look for ? Will they smell? Sorry if silly question. :(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't worry Joy, the mouse will die, there probably aren't any flies around to lay eggs. If they did the maggots would turn to flies that would die with no food - so you will end up with a dried up mouse and lots of dead flies - and no smell............

:xThumb:
Thank you Vic. That is reassuring.. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's extremely unlikely a spring trap will even break skin never mind cutting in half.

The idea, though more often not, is to break their neck....instant death.
Mostly they just get a bit of body trapped...
Legs etc

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's extremely unlikely a spring trap will even break skin never mind cutting in half.
Legs etc

I once found one caught by the very end of its nose - dead with just a droplet of blood from its mouth - there now Joy will be upset

:(

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I don't know if I could do that... but thank you. It makes sense. This is the first time I have even considered killing them ... it goes against everything that I believe in but I just am financially not able to handle any destruction they may do... ... I don't think I would be able to cope with seeing a little mouse in a trap cut in half and knowing I did it .. a dead one is going to be bad enough ... plus trying to pick up two halves is a bit daunting too. Thank you anyway .

you could use a humane trap
i forgot and left one in the garage

when i found it , it had a few skeletons in it
normally i stored it open
dont like killing animals nedlessley
if i caught a mouse i would take it a good distance from
home to let it go

upside is put enough food and water in it you can let them go
in neighboring garden and no dead smelly mices
:welc::blush:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You could use just traps and then release them far, far away. Personally. If the van is in storage, surely they need to know there is a problem? And help you sort it?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
you could use a humane trap
i forgot and left one in the garage

when i found it , it had a few skeletons in it
normally i stored it open
dont like killing animals nedlessley
if i caught a mouse i would take it a good distance from
home to let it go

upside is put enough food and water in it you can let them go
in neighboring garden and no dead smelly mices
:welc::blush:
Hi Tofo, I always leave humane traps in the van but they have only ever caught one mouse for me which I released. They have totally ignored the humane traps this time and chewed in the engine, luckily just the lining, and chewed in the cupboard just plastic container .. don't know what they done on the bed other than poo and wee on the top cover ... :(.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You could use just traps and then release them far, far away. Personally. If the van is in storage, surely they need to know there is a problem? And help you sort it?
Hi Cat, the farmer knows he has a problem with mice and rats and uses all kinds of stuff. The compound is surrounded by woods so there are mice and whathaveyou in abundance which come in out of the cold. :(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I once found one caught by the very end of its nose - dead with just a droplet of blood from its mouth - there now Joy will be upset

:(
Yes. I am.. :( Confirmed that I can't use traps. :(

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Legs etc
OMG ... It's going worse!!!! :( Poor little legless mice running round. :(

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I can only go on our experience when we had rats in the garden a few years ago (we always have mice kicking around as we back onto fields).....we got the council in who put poison down. The rats didn't touch it but we saw lots of mice poisoned and it wasn't a quick way to go. It was worrying as the dogs went after the mice who made regular, staggering appearances as well.
Not nice but think traps would be better Joy?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
As pappajohn remarked, dead mice hardly smell and u will not probably find em, It seems you are lucky, your mice are proably in comfort in the barn and come around your van site seeing and grabing something to eat whilst passing.(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
it goes against everything that I believe in but I just am financially not able to handle any destruction they may do... ... I don't think I would be able to cope with seeing a little mouse in a trap

Joy.....please, put it that way; do you want a bill going between 1000 to 2000 euros and even more if not lucky?
Believe me, the day you find out out what they've done to your van, you'll forget about being a little mouse with a nice little black nose and pinkie little ears . When you'll see your van going on a trailer because you thought about the poor little buggers...it'll be too late!
So just put things to kill! The van or the mice!

Amicalement

Frankie:xThumb:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
upload_2014-12-21_17-11-22.jpeg

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy.....please, put it that way; do you want a bill going between 1000 to 2000 euros and even more if not lucky?
Believe me, the day you find out out what they've done to your van, you'll forget about being a little mouse with a nice little black nose and pinkie little ears . When you'll see your van going on a trailer because you thought about the poor little buggers...it'll be too late!
So just put things to kill! The van or the mice!

Amicalement

Frankie:xThumb:
Hi Frankie, I have put poison down for the first time, just not sure what the next step is and what to expect when I open a cupboard door ... dead mouse, or maggots or what... Yuk.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Yes. I am.. :( Confirmed that I can't use traps. :(
Joy I don't like the idea of killing them either but don't want them causing loads of costly damage. So if you are going to kill them ...isn't it kinder for it to be quick in a trap than a slow death from poison? Plus you can dispose of the body. If you use a humane trap you need to go and check regularly otherwise they will be trapped and just starve to death! If you trap one and set it free surely he is free to just come back again? We have 6 traps down, a sonic repellent and bounce sheets everywhere. We go and check twice a week. Bit of a pain but dont want dead mice lying around for too long. Have caught total of 6 but thankfully none over past 3 weeks. Good luck whatever you decide.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
As PPJ told you, poison takes a few days to kill. It's the whole point , getting as many as possible without them being suspicious (mind you mice are far less clever and bright than rats, but they chew even more!). So killing traps are the best. At least they don't suffer. I have used special traps to release them and the first time I've used it the captured mouse died within a few hours in stress. Not very nice! I found it even more difficult you see.
So considering I don't like to make animals suffer, even if little b******, I think killing traps are the best . These ones won't come back, and you can spot where they died straight away!

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( Is there nothing that just sends them to sleep, please? :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Joy, buy some Broken Link Removed and bait them by squashing sultanas into the bait cups. That makes it difficult for the mice to get the bait out before the trap goes off. The position of the bait cup also means that it is a quick, humane, kill that the mouse will not feel, so no trapped limbs or noses. They are also easier to release the dead mouse and to set than the traditional Little Nipper traps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back