MICE .. NEW QUESTION ...... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Joy, this is horrible for you and I KNOW how you feel and what you are going through. We have twice had a problem with mice in our home. ( not this one). Bait is the best thing, it makes them thirsty so they leave your van in search of water. This means that you shouldn't actually find any. Because they dehydrate any you may find should be Dessicated. Good luck. I have a great guy who deals with this sort of thing for me. Depends on distance I suppose. I live near Grantham.......he is reasonable.

Deleted User
try putting some peppermint tea bags around, they hate the smell.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
try putting some peppermint tea bags around, they hate the smell.
Thanks Daisychain, and welcome by the way.... this is sort of an add-on thread as to what happens next now that I have put the poison down ... dead bodies or maggots sort of thing ... there have been endless threads on how to keep them away. The peppermint being just one of them... my van smells like an advert for toothpaste :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I can vouch for the good old rentokill traps, also "the big cheese" traps are impregnated with the smell of cheese.. Both do the job !! As Yodelli says Its them or your van !!
Mice breed SO fast that I would advise getting at least 5 traps. You could also set some outside the van (( by each wheel )) Did you get the sonic Dooberryferkin from "KEMO"
that I mentioned ?? I don't want to sound sexist here, but can't you get a man friend to do all the "nasty business" for you ?? I do sympathise with you, bite the bullet and declare war on the little devils !! A lots of us love and protect nature, but it belongs in the countryside and not inside our spaces !! Very good luck with the meeces !!
PS. One consolation, Rats don't usually go where there are mice !!
Mitch. :xThumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
:( Is there nothing that just sends them to sleep, please? :(

mouse-moonlight-blue-ansmann-lullaby-nightlights-babies-plush-toy-[2]-17653-p.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never ever found a dead mouse in a trap that was anything but a dead mouse .. as in no claret, no nothing, just a dead rodent.
A decent spring trap is most certainly the most humane way to deal with the blighters

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, this is a bit nuts .. in fact might sound batchy but.. ( and does require hookup )
Do you know anyone in the electronics field ?

There is a thing in microwave ovens called a Klystron .. It is what produces the microwave.

You can get quite decent sized ones that take a lot of stick.
They are available from a lot of places
Mount it on a plate in a corner.
Leave the van and turn the power on
Leave for 24 hours
I absolutely guarantee there will be not so much as a microbe left alive !

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Joy get some moth balls mice cant stand the smell of them a fellow funster told us a few years ago,cant remember who it was we never had mice in the van ,but a few people in our road have pigeons Sue hates mice,we did it as a precaution

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The mice that get trapped in the foot wells of my MH die of 'natural' causes - I don't need to put bait or traps down. I suspect the cold gets them long before starvation or thirst sets in, and hypothermia's not the worst way to go. They choose to go down there, I don't push them.

That said, I've put bait down in trays this winter to hasten the process. Those little B&Q type boxes with hole in the ends and bait inside aren't always ideal - the bait is so fast-acting that the mouse actually dies in the box and the others can't share in its feast of doom.

Any creature that can potentially kill me gets no mercy - mosquitos, wasps, rats & mice are all on my hit list.

..and Great White Sharks too, but so far I've not seen any round our MH storage site.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I don't want to sound sexist here, but can't you get a man friend to do all the "nasty business" for you ??

hurump I do all the disposing, Terry is scared of mice and birds, I had to empty the traps when they had killed and let a bird out of the conservatory as Terry did a runner. lol wuss..

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy get some moth balls mice cant stand the smell of them a fellow funster told us a few years ago,cant remember who it was we never had mice in the van ,but a few people in our road have pigeons Sue hates mice,we did it as a precaution
Hi Dave, that is what I have always used and you are right ... no trace of mice or rats.. BUT THIS YEAR when I went to buy some .. they have been taken off the mnarket as they are dangerous and contain something carcinogenic... Apparently they are now trying to manufacture some ... but not achieved it yet ... that don't contain the banned substance.... Question is though Will they still be as efficient? :(

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
MOVAN.. Go to :- WWW. pest-stop.co.uk or phone 029 2088 7005.
They do a plastic mouse trap with no fiddly spring or lever and a little pop-up baited lever when you "cock" it... To get rid of the dead mouse you just open the jaws and drop it in the dustbin.. Recock it and re-use.. And they cost pennys !!!
Good luck gal..
Mitch.. :xThumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The mice that get trapped in the foot wells of my MH die of 'natural' causes - I don't need to put bait or traps down. I suspect the cold gets them long before starvation or thirst sets in, and hypothermia's not the worst way to go. They choose to go down there, I don't push them.

That said, I've put bait down in trays this winter to hasten the process. Those little B&Q type boxes with hole in the ends and bait inside aren't always ideal - the bait is so fast-acting that the mouse actually dies in the box and the others can't share in its feast of doom.

Any creature that can potentially kill me gets no mercy - mosquitos, wasps, rats & mice are all on my hit list.

..and Great White Sharks too, but so far I've not seen any round our MH storage site.
And watch for crocodiles too.. Sneaky buggers they are

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rats and mice contain a dangerous substance called Urine. The problem is they don't contain if for very long and like to spray it around your habitation area. Google Leptospirosis if you have any ethical qualms about killing the little buggers stone dead.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Joy, I think you can get mothballs on the internet, get plenty and put them on the ground around the M/H, especially round the wheels, this should deter them from going in. Also you MUST put some traps as suggested inside the van in case any do get in, bait them with chocolate, that works well. Once you have disposed one or two you won't feel as bad, honestly, been there, done that.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Clue! Graham is in HUMANS, which I do believe is men and women, although ?????:xdoh:summon the dead cat thread????

And just to enlighten a Acklem Resident MILES!!! from the oggin, :xdoh:Who unfortunately !is customed!!! to eating Carrots! and produces Kharki Pasties:xsad: , ONE!!! (y) GETS!!!(y) WET!!! (y)SWIMMING IN THE (y)'oggin!!! So do the nobby clarks! of the white pointer varity!:xsurprised:

Reactions: GJH

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I found that the blade of my shovel humanely dealt with the three I found camped out ready to move into my new garage.

I've posted it before Joy, watch till the end please.........it's funny really it is.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Little Barstewards, I'd put down glue mats then take the week off just to watch them starve to death, looking up at me with their cute little noses, knowing if they could speak they'd say "put me out of my misery Popeye, don't just leave us here glued to the spot we've got young-uns to feed!"

I'd say tough sh luck, you picked on the wrong funster, you should have gone up north to Joys van, she'd have fed yer young-uns and cleaned your little feet up and let you go out in the country-side........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back