Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Everyone seams to post coordinates whats the deal ?

I cant find a way of making them useful so why ? Ive tried & even searched on the net & tried putting them in my sat nav & nothing.

Am I missing something here.......................?

Whats wrong with a good ol fashioned postcode or cross road & Town :mad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm on the fence with this one Rob, personally I still much prefer road name and use my eyes, but when in a tight spot or difficult access a coordinate does really work

problem I have is some come as minutes and seconds some are decimal, we could have ended up on the wrong side of France earlier this week

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Afraid you must be doing something wrong as they are very much more accurate than postcodes especially at this side of the channel.. Using French postcodes will see you gong around in circles all day long, just in passing which sat.nav. are you using

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Agree that coordinates are brill in Europe and make finding some of the sites so so much easier - take you right to the spot! Easy to put into our TomTom Go.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In the UK a postcode can mean a handful of properties, however in Europe it's a whole town

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Never had to put any in as with Archies Campsites you have all the sites you will ever need. Same with Aires as you can download them from various websites.

Mike

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Co ordinates take you to the exact spot whereas a postcode can be a few hundred yards away and in a populated area it can be a pain.
In my Garmin there are three options of co ordinate input which is simple, like me :rolleyes:
It's also handy with Google Earth as where you hold the cursor the correct co ordinates are displayed at the bottom of the screen (y)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm on the fence with this one Rob, personally I still much prefer road name and use my eyes, but when in a tight spot or difficult access a coordinate does really work

problem I have is some come as minutes and seconds some are decimal, we could have ended up on the wrong side of France earlier this week

The Sat Navs we use allow you to choose either decimal entries or minutes and seconds entries.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I was given a handfull of coordinates when we went to cornwall & i spent a good week trying to figure them out
Google earth woudnt take them
google dont recognise them
they were useless in the sat nav
in the end i stck the name in & just zoomed in on google earth & took a chance to find pra sands

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Co-ordinates by far and away the best option. Try using postcodes in the back of beyond!
Copy and paste this into Google Maps and it should bring up a location close to Skegness - 53.123456 0.123456
If your Sat Nav needs the data in degrees \ minutes \ seconds there are many websites that will convert these for you, eg Link Removed
You should also see it in this format when you paste into Google Maps. -
53°07'24.4"N 0°07'24.4"E

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As said, entered correctly, they get you to the exact spot. Some uk directions state do not use postcode.
Also, they dont use postcodes in Morocco lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A post code in England can refer to a large area, and in more rural areas it can be a long way from where you need to be. A Sat Nav will direct you to the centre of this area, hence why they ask for a house number as well.
I always check on google maps to see where the post code refers to, and if needed, get the co-ordinates and use them instead.
In Europe, I always use the co-ordinates, I have found this is the only way to get an accurate location. On my TomTom co-ordinates are entered by going into the "navigate to" menu, and then select "lat long". We do also use google maps whilst abroad, but some of the locations on Google maps are just plain wrong.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We utilise decimal, especially for planning where maps allow you to zoom in and see what an area has to offer

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Co-ordinates for me every time
Trying to find an aires without them is impossible ..

TomTom will auto work out what type of co-ordinates you are using ( decimal or minutes / seconds ) but Garmin and a few others you have to select what you are using

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was given a handfull of coordinates when we went to cornwall & i spent a good week trying to figure them out
Google earth woudnt take them
google dont recognise them
they were useless in the sat nav
in the end i stck the name in & just zoomed in on google earth & took a chance to find pra sands
If you want to get to the bottom of this can you post one of the coordinates you were given? Coordinates really are a very good way of defining a location.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also, to get decimal and degs/mins/secs from Google maps, right click the location and select "What's here" a little popup should appear showing the Lat/Long in both formats.
The reverse, in the map search enter a set of co-ordinates, eg "37.152637, -7.888638" and hit return, the map will jump to that location (my example is the town square in Sao Bras De Alportel, Portugal)

[edited to correct coordinate format]

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Afraid you must be doing something wrong as they are very much more accurate than postcodes especially at this side of the channel.. Using French postcodes will see you gong around in circles all day long, just in passing which sat.nav. are you using
That is indeed true Alan :) Our post code covers several villages !!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
:wub:
Whats wrong with a good ol fashioned postcode

Good Old Fashioned Post Codes were first thought up in the UK in 1959 and came in to general use around 1970- 1974.

Coordinates have been in use for many hundreds of years and the Greenwich meridian has been official since 1884, now that is "Good Old Fashioned" or reliable.......

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It took me a while to get into using co-ordinates with the sat-nav etc. The first problem I had was that the old budget TomTom I had didn't accept GPS co-ords, which had me completely foxed. So a new model was acquired and then it all became relatively straightforward. And as others have said, they are of course very accurate for getting you to a specific destination.

One other thing, I always take great care to double check my 'inputing' of the figures - it's easy to get a digit wrong, which would result in being completely mis-directed.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Mike

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Everyone seams to post coordinates whats the deal ?

I cant find a way of making them useful so why ? Ive tried & even searched on the net & tried putting them in my sat nav & nothing.

Am I missing something here.......................?

Whats wrong with a good ol fashioned postcode or cross road & Town :mad:
My wife, (the navigator), uses the 'Pin-Prick' system of co-ordination. She sees on the map where she wants to go, sticks a pin into it, then instructs the prick next to her which way to drive. :)
Surprisingly, it works very well, but when we bought our £500 Sat Nav, she used that instead of a map. Now it leaks gooey stuff down the screen, and dosent seem to work very well. :(

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Strandard in a small village in Spain, MH won't start. Phone ADAC they ask where are you.

Problem 1: I don't know how to pronounce the name of the village so they don't know where I am.

Look on sat nav or Google on PC or phone, give them co-ordinates "Oh we see where you are now", 20 mins later help arrives.

Promlem solved, and this is why co-ordinates are a vital part of travelling around Europe.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I have been trying to find a recent post on here about a word associated location system, it was a good idea; I tried it and it was spot on, I didn't book mark it so I "lost" it:(, does any one else know where it is?:)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Co-ordinates will pinpoint a destination, within a metre. There are different co-ordinate expressions, my Garmin can use any if i set it correctly. Are you using the correct setting on yours?

Craig

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Sorry Rs RoB I thought Tootles started this thread, I did think it un-usual for him:rolleyes: Here is another,module suckled grumpy(y)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Well can someone help me with this, I'm looking up a aire at oradour sur glane it's
N 45.935669
E1.024890
Or
N45.56.8
E1.1.29
The co-ordinates on my garmin 660 are
h ddd.ddddd
h ddd mm mmm
h ddd mm ss.s
None of those seem to match ???
Confused

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The top format in your post is h ddd.ddddd

Just select that format on the Garmin then input N 45.93567 , E 1.02489 (I have rounded the N value to 5 decimal places).

p.s. you ignore the 'h' as that is for hours and you are working in degrees only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back