What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (7 Viewers)

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
The stupid pop up tap in the washroom of our 2.5 yr old Elddis- stopped popping up! It was in fact stuck down. It had corroded inside with a chemical reaction furring up the mechanism causing it to snap. A simple fix and £9.99 from Amazon for a new fitting. Just annoying though.

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995

What have you fixed on your motorhome this week?​

Daytime bulb - driver side - on my A-Class. Actually, I didn't fix it. I failed. Instead, I took the van down to Durley Garage (Wirral) this morning. The boss fitted a new bulb and waved away any thought of being payed. He told me that all I had to do was to wiggle my arm around like it says in the manual. Yeah yes! More like shoving a python under the bonnet.

Anyway, I'm smiling today.

Oct 24, 2021
Llanelli, UK
Funster No
MH
kontiki 6 berth
Exp
well i've had a productive week, fixed my broken speedo cable, bit of a faff finding the right one but all done now and in working order. also had an overheating issue, i flushed all the coolant (was looking a bit manky) flushed out the system and tested the fan switch as the cooling fan didn't seem to be activating, so i bought a new switch and filled up with fresh coolant, all back to working order.
also whilst i was uder the van near the gearbox doing the speedo cable i decided to drain gearbox and put fresh gear oil with some liqui moly. hopefully that will smooth out the stiff reverse gear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Fitted some new plastic under engine shields (x3) on my Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper. It was only recently I realised they were missing. I know they make jobs like oil changes more tedious but there must be benefits in that they keep dust and water spray off the engine. They might also keep the engine bay temperature at an appropriate level.

It makes me wonder why they were left off in the past. I don't think the previous owners did any of their own servicing so maybe a workshop forgot to refit them (there was one fitted under crank pulley and auxiliary belts) but the other two were missing.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
i assume that was the curved on at the front
Yes mate, tried all scrappers no joy even looked for a lager one, no joy found a firm in Radcliffe north Manc who sourced one over a grand cheaper than main Burstner dealers so gone with them and give them the job to fit.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Fitted some new plastic under engine shields (x3) on my Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper. It was only recently I realised they were missing. I know they make jobs like oil changes more tedious but there must be benefits in that they keep dust and water spray off the engine. They might also keep the engine bay temperature at an appropriate level.

It makes me wonder why they were left off in the past. I don't think the previous owners did any of their own servicing so maybe a workshop forgot to refit them (there was one fitted under crank pulley and auxiliary belts) but the other two were missing.
I've seen that too on many cars.... the FiL had me take a look at his Citroen... and the undershield was fitted with a mix of bolts in the cross member (not greased and collecting all the crud) and these plastic clips for the rear of the thing... or should I say there should have been.....some spanner at some point had used zip ties to hold it up..... needless to say I produced some proper plastic body fixings from my garage and fitted it properly....

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
New cab battery for me from Halfords with 5 year guarantee. The original supplied with the van from new lasted just over 10 years which is good going!

Also having to replace CTEK 25 Amp pro charger bought new in 2018 with only little use since which is disappointing that circuit boards are no longer produced for it or repaired.

Bought a small Ninja air fryer for 2 for the Motorhome yesterday as we have a Tec tower and the oven is too high.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I've seen that too on many cars.... the FiL had me take a look at his Citroen... and the undershield was fitted with a mix of bolts in the cross member (not greased and collecting all the crud) and these plastic clips for the rear of the thing... or should I say there should have been.....some spanner at some point had used zip ties to hold it up..... needless to say I produced some proper plastic body fixings from my garage and fitted it properly....
Can I confess that I always remove the undertray from my vehicles except the one on the timing belt side, the reason.

IF I have a oil or fuel leak on the engine, I like to know about it and get too it IMMEDIATELY!

Sometime ago, a friend of mine had his favourite VW go up in flames because, we think, a small oil or fuel leak had been dripping and being adsorbed by all the crud on top of the tray and somehow, we think the hot exhaust?, set it alight.
It didn't help it being a Petrol vehicle.

He couldn't get the extinguisher to it, because of flames from the top & metal tray at the bottom, so just left it to burn until the Fire Service arrived.

Total write-off and he was devastated!

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Can I confess that I always remove the undertray from my vehicles except the one on the timing belt side, the reason.

IF I have a oil or fuel leak on the engine, I like to know about it and get too it IMMEDIATELY!

Sometime ago, a friend of mine had his favourite VW go up in flames because, we think, a small oil or fuel leak had been dripping and being adsorbed by all the crud on top of the tray and somehow, we think the hot exhaust?, set it alight.
It didn't help it being a Petrol vehicle.

He couldn't get the extinguisher to it, because of flames from the top & metal tray at the bottom, so just left it to burn until the Fire Service arrived.

Total write-off and he was devastated!
Maybe that's the reason my van had the under tray under the belts but the other two were missing. You didn't own a 2010 Autosleeper did you? 😃

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Maybe that's the reason my van had the under tray under the belts but the other two were missing. You didn't own a 2010 Autosleeper did you? 😃
No, I prefer to stick to Westfalia's 😄

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
Been waiting for a dry day up here in wet Yorkshire to get under the van to try to solve the problem of the waste ta k tap not working, yesterday was it, just enough room after pumping up the air assist it's a hymer car PVC and it has always drained well but last time out after draining it would not close.
Anyway it has a big plastic nut holding the tap on at the tank , tried Stilsons as its the only thing I had big enough but couldn't get the angle ,resorted to a blunt cold chisel and a tap from a hammer moved it immediately unscrewed by hand and pulled apart and inside was a piece of push fit pipe about 6 inches long that had stopped the tap closing .
Removed it fastened all back up and works perfectly but where has the piece of pipe come from ?
Over to you all for theories

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Today I installed a Victron Cerbo GX in the motorhome. This I have so far wired to the Victron Smart Shunt but it can be connected to all your other viltron devices and to third party products for things like tank quantity displays.

The advantage of this is I have connected it to the Van Mifi so I can now see the state of things by viewing the Victron VRM portal from anywhere on my phone, iPad, computer etc.

I previously had Victron Connect only so could only check the state of things using bluetooth so it had to be done in or very close to the van.

So rather than have to go out in the wet in future I can just check on the batteries from inside the house and if necessary switch on the EHU to top up the batteries.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Changed my split charge relay for a Victron battery combiner. Today assisted a fellow funster changing his seized adblu pump then tested.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Repaired the rear quarter after a mishap

20240217_134150.jpg

20240217_134202.jpg

20240219_091128.jpg

20240219_091143.jpg

20240220_151645.jpg

20240220_151654.jpg

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
At least the coat hooks work :wink:
... actually completely failed to notice they were in the way of the overhead locker doors. Schoolboy error. 🙄 Refitted 3" lower, and have discovered there seems to be a world shortage of beige screw caps so I can't disguise the old holes without buying a huge pot of wood filler I don't really need.

On a brighter note, got a cancellation date on 13/3 at the dealer for the battery issues.

Meanwhile, have been puzzled about the relative lack of waste water in relation to the amount of fresh used. We drink a lot of tea and coffee, but not that much.
Just happened to be wandering around at the back of the van whilst Mrs W was in the shower, and noticed the waste dropping straight on to the ground. Should the biblical rain we're having ever stop I'll fix that.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Fitted a bluetooth engine battery monitor in 10minutes .. dead easy.
Two connections ..+ and - battery terminals.

Then fitted 12v heater pads to my 150ah Lithium ..That took up the rest of the day.

The need for heaters was because:
.. the only decent biggest -sized Lithium battery I could possibly fit in anywhere, did not have internal heating.

I was advised to run the heating at 10°C in cold weather to keep the battery at optimum charging temperature.

So with no 240v off grid or at a motorhome show with no electric hook up, it would mean having to use gas.

So sourced some 12v Falcon RV water heater pads with integrated thermostat and wired it up to the Lithium to self heat.

I added a small led switch to switch for On or Off , as needed.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Fitted FM and DAB signal amplifier booster, pull out radio , very easy to wire .. even for me who has no electrickery knowledge.
( Vecys Splitter 1 .. at Amazon £13 !)
Have gone from a pathetic 5 DAB stations to 75 odd and has 300% improved FM radio signal.

On my van the arials are in the wing mirrors.
Huge improvement for £13.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not fixed, not yet, but took advantage of the morning sunshine and washed the muck off from my 2 weeks running around Yorkshire. While cleaning, I noted that the chrome extension to the side exhaust pipe, was wobbling around, so will need to get the van up on the big ramps and get under it with some exhaust gum and repair kit. Watch this space 👍🏻

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not fixed, not yet, but took advantage of the morning sunshine and washed the muck off from my 2 weeks running around Yorkshire. While cleaning, I noted that the chrome extension to the side exhaust pipe, was wobbling around, so will need to get the van up on the big ramps and get under it with some exhaust gum and repair kit. Watch this space 👍🏻
Ramps are for wimps.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Mike.

Oct 5, 2021
Thame UK
Funster No
MH
boxer compass 140
Exp
A newbie solo
had a busy day today changed tyres from steel rims to a nice set off alloys . they have a load rateing 1740 so fine for my little compass aventgarde 140 they really change the look off the van very pleased . going to start fitting the air suspension tomorrow weather permiting .

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Put new gas struts on the rear lounge seating, so they pull up 50% further. Much easier access 👍

Also wired in the dashcam so comes on/goes off automatically with the ignition.

And most important - fixed a cup holder at dash level so I don't have to reach down for my coffee whilst driving! 🍵

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Just replaced the pressure relief/ dump valve on our whale water boiler. The existing one would not shut off completely after the boiler had got up to temperature, as they do dump a small amount of water due to expansion but then should shut off again.
This meant dropping the boiler, as it is fixed under the van. Then removing the end cover to gain access.
All appears well now, but time will tell 🤞

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
1) new seals to shower doors - simple
2) Garage door - locks and central locking stopped working. Quoted £320 plus parts and in my case around £90 travel costs & a full day lost so probably north of £500 all in. Took a couple of hours to work through, but dismantled, reassembled with some silicone grease added to the lock gears and all seems to work fine - in fact better than when it was new!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back