What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (3 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not fixed, but today I changed the air filter, 2 minute job, and then the £"&%+*X ing pollen filter. It's the one buried under the mid console. There's just no easy way of getting at it, whichever position you have the seats in, or working through both the cab doors I managed about 47 round the cab trips till the job was done.
Fuel and oil filters to go, but there both relatively easy to do.
Mike.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I hung one of these in a little muslin bag inside the van to keep rodents away.

Smells terrible to me. Hope it deters the furry b'stards.

IMG_20240114_135444977_HDR.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I have no idea if you could do this but is it possible to use the old panel as a template / mould to have a new one made?
It’s possible to use the original to make a mold which, suitably fared, can then be used to replicate the original. I’ve done it in glass fibre but not in plastic!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Started sorting out the various problems that caused our early return. Already booked in to sort the clutch so next job, batteries. No 1 totally dead, wouldn't hold any charge at all but fortunately No 2 appears to be okay. It's on a discharge check now so hopefully only going to need one. Probably didn't help that fluid levels were well below the plates - memo to self, check battery levels regularly in future. Added cab battery levels check to list!

Fridge out tomorrow.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I'm told dab Peppermint oil in cupboards and around van rodents don't like it, anybody knows whether ot works ?
These smell like peppermint mixed with other foul smelling stuff.

I was recommended this stuff to spray under the bonnet and found the airholes in the floor. From what I can see they have wire mesh but the sods get in.

IMG_20240124_204012527_HDR.jpg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
These smell like peppermint mixed with other foul smelling stuff.

I was recommended this stuff to spray under the bonnet and found the airholes in the floor. From what I can see they have wire mesh but the sods get in.

View attachment 858453
Yes my father said they can get through a hole the size of a pencil

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Sat in the van surrounded by peppermint smelling stuff and decided to fire up the gas heating. When we got our first moho the dealer said to turn on the gas and then make sure that a hob burner would light before trying the heating or the fridge.

Yep that worked. Fired up the heating. Took a while to hear the "whumph" and it fired up. Then the fridge. After repeated "click clicking" it fired up. Had a happy few minutes watching the meter for my leisure battery go from 12.5 to 11.9 before I turned off the heating. I was surprised how quickly it heated up. Once the fan was off the meter crawled back to 12.1. The weak sun had gone and so there was bugger all solar.

All ready for tomorrow and a drive over the Scotney (book parking in advance) and/or Sissinghurst (no booking required) NT places to give the 175 a drive out!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Update: Battery 2 looks okay so replacement for battery 1 ordered, delivery tomorrow.
Fridge now working; don't know what I did but took it out, checked fuses, connections etc, re-installed and now all working properly!

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Today I fitted the Mirror Guards to the new short arm mirrors. Very tight fit even with plenty of washing up liquid as instructed on the rubber trims. Not as flush despite plenty of brute force to squeeze them into place. Fingers crossed the sticky tape works...

Also drained the fresh water and the Whale heater again....

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fixed the Vanbitz alarm today……… It had sounded a couple of times with no obvious cause, so phoned Ash at Vanbitz and confirmed that no rodent activity detected so advised exactly how to slightly reduce the sensitivity (not saying how). A bit awkward to reach but job done 👍 Thanks AshVanBitz

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's the bathroom light replaced and the wooden bed surround that had split repaired.
Goes into the garage tomorrow to sort out the clutch - hoping it's not the slave cylinder (they don't think so, fingers crossed.)

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I’m 3 and a half weeks into a five week tour around the North Island of New Zealand. It has been one problem after another.
We started the trip with an appointment to get our satellite dish repaired for the third time in two years. They assured us they’d fixed it, but one week later it’s refusing to go up again. We’ll have to wait until we return to Wellington to catch the ferry before they can look at it for the fifth time. Meanwhile, we can live without watching NZ TV ‘cos it’s rubbish.
The list of problems goes like this:
Remis blind breaks and we’re sold a complete replacement as they won’t sell parts.
Shower door falls off after going over a pot hole. Fixed.
Second Remis blind breaks on opposite side. Search of the internet results in finding the small part needed to repair it. Ordered from the UK at a fraction of the cost of the first blind.
Fridge not working on gas. Put it down to extreme heat outside, but decide to get the gas jets cleaned anyway. It’s working now.
The power panel stops working. No lights, can't light gas, run water, flush toilet etc. Auto electrician sells us two new batteries ‘cos they’re both dead, but when we check the power panel it’s still not working. Turns out it’s a burnt out circuit board. Fixed now.
To cap it all off we had a very close shave with a driver in a flat cap who suddenly did an emergency stop for no apparent reason.
Please - I don’t want any comments about our choice of motorhome or how we could have avoided the problems we’ve had, or advice on how to fix these problems. I just want to get home and relax.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I’m 3 and a half weeks into a five week tour around the North Island of New Zealand. It has been one problem after another.
We started the trip with an appointment to get our satellite dish repaired for the third time in two years. They assured us they’d fixed it, but one week later it’s refusing to go up again. We’ll have to wait until we return to Wellington to catch the ferry before they can look at it for the fifth time. Meanwhile, we can live without watching NZ TV ‘cos it’s rubbish.
The list of problems goes like this:
Remis blind breaks and we’re sold a complete replacement as they won’t sell parts.
Shower door falls off after going over a pot hole. Fixed.
Second Remis blind breaks on opposite side. Search of the internet results in finding the small part needed to repair it. Ordered from the UK at a fraction of the cost of the first blind.
Fridge not working on gas. Put it down to extreme heat outside, but decide to get the gas jets cleaned anyway. It’s working now.
The power panel stops working. No lights, can't light gas, run water, flush toilet etc. Auto electrician sells us two new batteries ‘cos they’re both dead, but when we check the power panel it’s still not working. Turns out it’s a burnt out circuit board. Fixed now.
To cap it all off we had a very close shave with a driver in a flat cap who suddenly did an emergency stop for no apparent reason.
Please - I don’t want any comments about our choice of motorhome or how we could have avoided the problems we’ve had, or advice on how to fix these problems. I just want to get home and relax.
Looking the bright side the pics you post pare amazing 👏
Keep your chin up.its 0wet cold and misserable here

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's the bathroom light replaced and the wooden bed surround that had split repaired.
Goes into the garage tomorrow to sort out the clutch - hoping it's not the slave cylinder (they don't think so, fingers crossed.)
Ah , naughty words in profusion. Master cylinder replaced but it's now actually worse so checking local commercial garages to get clutch/slave cylinder replaced. Not going to be cheap!

But at least we got it home so the choice is now mine rather than some random unknown back street garage in Spain.

Oct 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 728eb
Not exactly fixed, but I did buy a new set of wheels and tyres! We needed new tyres and I wanted something with a bit more tread/grip on sites as the Michellins that were on the motorhome were like slicks on grass or the slightest bit of mud and as we are up-plating the motorhome we needed wheels that would meet the requirements of the new weight.........next stop, air assist on the back!

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I have fitted a Fiammia 500 storage box to bike rack, bought from a guy who advertised it on here , as a warning just be careful when buying secondhand things not all is how it was told !!

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Just checked the fridge as it wasn't lighting on Gas.... so decided to remove the gas valve to clean it all up....undid the right hand nut .....and...... it wasn't exactly as tight as you'd expect.....so I nipped it back up plus 1/4 turn and as if by magic it lit straight away..... just wondering how it got "loose" as clearly air was getting it and was "starving" the burner...... oh well every day is a school day

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Fridge door bottom rail in plastic had broken near travel catch, allowing spring to drop and stop door opening.
IMG_2969.jpeg

Searched web for replacement but being 23 year old fridge, couldn’t find part, so bought some aluminium angle and made new rail, had to copy and transfer shape from good end.
Now got travel catch that works
1706961853890.jpeg

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Hymer re TW want £400+ for a replacement electric grey water tank dump valve, (lengthy delivery from Germany which will incur additional import duty costs) and it’s a real bugger to fit apparently. Sargent do one that fits so I am told
IMG_2784.jpeg
for £80 ish, job for the summer not this weather. So gone manumatic 🤪🤪🤪 less than a tenner on fleabay delivered and a doddle to fit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back