What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (9 Viewers)

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Well I would not call it fixed but the cylinder head gasket went on the way back from salt fleet gale
So I followed Wildman’s advice and put sum kseel well blow me apart from all the rusty water stains under the bonnet you wouldn’t think it had happened watt the hell is that stuff probably gummed up the work’s but seem to have worked Frome stemming traction engine to purring petrol will give it would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it my shelf a good run today to try it out on to eBay
Made complicated plywood beam affair to fix monitor (our TV) to van side. Mayya doesn’t like it. To be fair I can see why. So now it lies on the van floor where it annoys the dog. And Mayya. And even me if I’m honest. So maybe ‘fixed’ isn’t an accurate description. Will ditch it before we get the Chunnel home. All in all, not my finest hour.

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Can I ask which one you bought?

I have a 2019 Peugeot Boxer and the one video I watched of someone fitting one looked a bit of a mare - more incredibly footery, rather than technically difficult!
I bought mine off ebay but the item isnt there now but this is like all the others on ebay.
There are some videos on youtube. Took me about 1 1/2 hours but I’m 78 so slower than I used to be. Bit fiddly but doable.
IMG_3425.png

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I fitted this one,
£36.00. Again, a bit fiddly. There is a useful video/tutorial to watch and it's worth repeated viewings. Wait till it warms up a bit though as the plastic clips are less brittle then, and the glue on the inner door rainwater seal membrane. I'd say, order a small pack of the fir tree fittings for the outer card as well before hand, as that way you'll never ever need them.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fixed exhaust heat shiled which was making a noise in the wind & annoying me.
fitted switch to newly fabricated nylon plates .ired one up for the external roof bar lights .
started to fit cupboard gas door supports.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I, at last, got around to fitting the Ablemail battery maintainer that Lenny HB suggested as I was getting regular low cab battery alarms from my Victron SmartShunt. Now the cab battery is being kept at nearer to 12.6 volts than below the 12.5 volts that used to trigger the alarms. Very easy to fit when you have a B2B charger in the system! One wire in the cab battery port, one wire in the leisure battery port and one to the earth port!

Next planning a couple of USB and USB C charging ports on each side of the bedroom.

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
hi, j8snl , could you give details of the mobile guy please, looks amazing!
Hi BillandHelen Absolutely, his name is Lewis Russell at LR Auto Care. He's in Falkirk but is mobile (y)

Now had him back to do my car as well. Another excellent job.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
New circuit board for the NordElectrica NE183-mate control panel on our Ace Siena. The screen packed up on the old one so I opted for the new improved model from Apuljack Electronics. That's £170 I won't see gain but it does what it says on the tin and the service was excellent.

I also fitted a Fiamma Rainguard which likewise does what it says on the tin - i.e. stops those irritating drips coming down between the awning and the bodywork - particularly above the habitation door just as you are getting in/out. Very straightforward fit and the only problem was ending up with about a metre more of the rain guard than I need. Note to self, measure it next time . . . .

fullsizeoutput_ec9.jpeg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Fixed the kitchen sink tap switch wire again.
Why they use such stiff wire is beyond me, so I’ve changed wires for slightly thinner more flex able stuff, soldered as close to switch as I could.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Fixed the windscreen washers which had been reduced to a dribble by a failed non return diaphragm. Now like a hose!

Secondly having front valance repair and new paintwork front and back. We are in Morocco wish me luck!

IMG_5627.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Just glued another drawer front back on, not bad for 9 months old M/H !!.
We are a few miles from Benidorm still trying to find Lpg Spanish connection for filler for Gasit underslung tank system, anyone know of motorhome suppliers in Benidorm ?

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Just glued another drawer front back on, not bad for 9 months old M/H !!.
We are a few miles from Benidorm still trying to find Lpg Spanish connection for filler for Gasit underslung tank system, anyone know of motorhome suppliers in Benidorm ?
Quite a few Repsol garages have them behind the counter for use.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's if you can get Repsol to sell you autogas now. We were refused earlier in the year, manager said it was no longer allowed! Plenty of other places though.

Doesn't the shop across the road from El Raco site have one?

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Finally got the rear quarter plastic welded after last years 'Italian Job' reversing up an incline and grounded out.

New panel about 260 Euros plus vat and delivery.
Body shop repair quoted £180 plus vat and can't do it for weeks.
Motorbike repairer next door did the plastic welding for £30 and got it painted locally for £50.
20240319_103651.jpg
20240319_110040.jpg
20240319_105744.jpg
20240319_125929.jpg

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Only hit two trees today, one leaving a site and one arriving on one.
Not inspected the damage yet a one is on the roof (cash of tree too low or van too high) the other i can see and it don't look too bad.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The cheapie bike cover shredded in the gales last night. I new it was on the way out so had spare with me
At £2.60 each . I have 12 gave 2 away so down to 9 checked when I bought it and it was 1 year ago so at that rate I have 9 more years left.
I was going to buy from Taylormade at over £200
They keep bike dry clean and are very light. They are not made as a rack cover so I cut a whole in the back and deck tape it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
New oil filter & oil. new air filter,diesel filter ,cab filter. new lower wishbone ball joint rubbers as the old were starting to split. checked front & rear brake pads both around 70%. Finally clay barred the drivers side panels .
Fixed the windscreen washers which had been reduced to a dribble by a failed non return diaphragm. Now like a hose!

Secondly having front valance repair and new paintwork front and back. We are in Morocco wish me luck!

View attachment 869845

View attachment 869846
How did it turn out?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Only hit two trees today, one leaving a site and one arriving on one.
Not inspected the damage yet a one is on the roof (cash of tree too low or van too high) the other i can see and it don't look too bad.
Last time i scraped the roof with a tree, I ripped off the chimney cowl. Easily replaced, but worth checking through the large roof vent if you can, as it can let a fair bit of rain in otherwise. Done this twice now, only the second time I stopped immediately and retrieved the cowl from the roof before I lost it.
IMG_3217.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Full engine service, oil and air filters, 750ml Synthetic Slick 50, Mobil 1 oil, new diesel filter housing and filter. Repair exhaust split at chrome tailpipe.
Clean and pressure wash gear selector assembly, strip, clean, derust main selector shaft, then copperslip selector shaft mechanism and reassemble.
Adjust/tighten auxiliary alternator belt.
Grease rear Al-Ko Chassis torsion bars.
Check leisure batteries.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
IMG_20240324_104109.jpg

Had a trial run and fitted the cabbunks. Obviously they come out for travelling, as I know how it all goes together and have made the necessary changes to the legs/feet to suit our particular motorhome, it takes less than five minutes to set up once in site!
really pleased with the help from cabbunk themselves !

looking forward to 'gramping' - camping with the grandchildren!!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Citric acid descale of both fresh and waste water tanks. Decanted fresh into the kettle and it’s sparkly clean and shiny too. Ready for off next Tuesday 👍🏻

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Changed batteries.in smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm. Should have left alone had to order new carbon monoxide alarm as it kept bleeping. As far as I know it was the original

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Changed batteries.in smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm. Should have left alone had to order new carbon monoxide alarm as it kept bleeping. As far as I know it was the original
Some carbon monoxide alarms are designed to bleep after 10 years to make sure you replace them. I have a Kidde one that says it will let me know when it is 10 years old and needs replacing. Perhaps the date on the smoke alarm also needs checking?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Some carbon monoxide alarms are designed to bleep after 10 years to make sure you replace them. I have a Kidde one that says it will let me know when it is 10 years old and needs replacing. Perhaps the date on the smoke alarm also needs checking?
Smoke alarm works fine . I check it everytime I cook sausages :rofl:
I have order a 10 year kiddie for like for like it was £40 to £60
I took it for granted that it worked. But had no way of checking
Its 1 more thing off the age relayed replacement list

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Where you off to Eddie…
Heading to see mum in care home, so a few nights at The Fancott Arms, then heading to Yorkshire for 10 days, so a bit of FLT and see what trouble I can stay out off 😅

Thanks for asking buddy, hope you’re well mate 👍🏻

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Heading to see mum in care home, so a few nights at The Fancott Arms, then heading to Yorkshire for 10 days, so a bit of FLT and see what trouble I can stay out off 😅

Thanks for asking buddy, hope you’re well mate 👍🏻

Have a good trip.. let’s hope the weather picks up a bit, enjoy 🍻

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Since we bought or van two years ago we’ve been merrily driving around with the gas on as the previous owners had given us a hand over guide which said we were fitted with a crash sensor ,no! On finally realising that was not the case I’ve fitted a Truma duo sensor

The yellow gas isolator is for an outside gas point I fitted at the same time👍

Happy days
IMG_0943.jpeg

I also fitted an essential bit of kit

IMG_0944.jpeg

With thanks to PaulandChrissy

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I was given the ultimate, 'Go ahead' by Mrs Emmit today.

I was given permission to drill holes in the body of her beloved motorhome!

Not one, but two holes and they weren't tiny either. 50mm no less.
IMG_20240326_171403.jpg

What you can't see is that beyond the hole, bolted to the chassis, are two Al-Ko drop down support legs.

Talk about squeeky bum time, measuring, remeasuring and measuring again to get the hole to line up with the winder.

The black surround is a 50mm open gromett.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back