What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (5 Viewers)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Can I confess that I always remove the undertray from my vehicles except the one on the timing belt side, the reason.

IF I have a oil or fuel leak on the engine, I like to know about it and get too it IMMEDIATELY!

Sometime ago, a friend of mine had his favourite VW go up in flames because, we think, a small oil or fuel leak had been dripping and being adsorbed by all the crud on top of the tray and somehow, we think the hot exhaust?, set it alight.
It didn't help it being a Petrol vehicle.

He couldn't get the extinguisher to it, because of flames from the top & metal tray at the bottom, so just left it to burn until the Fire Service arrived.

Total write-off and he was devastated!
Perhaps I should add, that I think that most modern undertrays are plastic, so might melt away, this was on a T25 Westfalia and made of metal.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Wouldn't call it a fix but been on the todo list for a while now. We got the motorhome Ceramic Coated and it's really came up amazing like a glass finish. Got a mobile guy who came highly recommended (central Scotland), does lots of caravans and motorhomes, took him more or less 7 hours to do the whole vehicle including roof with a 7 year protection.
hi, j8snl , could you give details of the mobile guy please, looks amazing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
Managed to get the panel open on my habitation doors and even got the door open. Still scratching my head on what's preventing it working or why they've made it so complicated.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Perhaps I should add, that I think that most modern undertrays are plastic, so might melt away, this was on a T25 Westfalia and made of metal.
I would not remove an under tray it's there for a reason being to stop foreign objects hitting the alternator, the timing belt case and stuff entering behind a not very well sealed timing belt case , dust dirt is like an abrasive that will wear the timing belt.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would not remove an under tray it's there for a reason being to stop foreign objects hitting the alternator, the timing belt case and stuff entering behind a not very well sealed timing belt case , dust dirt is like an abrasive that will wear the timing belt.
Every one to there own BUT in 60+yrs of involvement in Transport, from Farm machinery, Ship, Ribs, motorbikes, cars, HGV & Coaches.
For the first 30yrs undertrays were never heard of, and the last 30+yrs of never having one on any of my private vehicles.
I have never had a problem but I have seen 3 examples of undertrays causing problems.

Two were engines that have had a leak and not been seen until after causing lubrication problems and one, the fire I described earlier.
(How often do you drop your undertray for inspection?)

As I wrote earlier, it's up to the individual what they choose.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
More of an attempted fix than a full on fix. Tried to revive dead starter motor by knocking the hell out it with a hammer. It nearly came to life at one point but then died altogether.
Managed a bump start and then drove the 160 miles back from Kirkubright to Blackburn making sure not to stall it. Even put diesel in half way back.
Getting towards 2 grand spent on this vehicle already this year and we are only in February 🙄

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
More of an attempted fix than a full on fix. Tried to revive dead starter motor by knocking the hell out it with a hammer. It nearly came to life at one point but then died altogether.
Managed a bump start and then drove the 160 miles back from Kirkubright to Blackburn making sure not to stall it. Even put diesel in half way back.
Getting towards 2 grand spent on this vehicle already this year and we are only in February 🙄
If you replace the 'knocking the hell out of it's with a gentle tap, you might get a better response?

At least that's what I tell my partner when she has a go at me! 😄

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Put 3M tape on the screen scuttle to stop water entering the engine bay. Scuttle was replaced by dealer under warranty a few weeks back but still leaking. Not giving them another go as the 3M tape seems to have sorted it. A bit pissed off that they didnt check it before giving it back.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Every one to there own BUT in 60+yrs of involvement in Transport, from Farm machinery, Ship, Ribs, motorbikes, cars, HGV & Coaches.
For the first 30yrs undertrays were never heard of, and the last 30+yrs of never having one on any of my private vehicles.
I have never had a problem but I have seen 3 examples of undertrays causing problems.

Two were engines that have had a leak and not been seen until after causing lubrication problems and one, the fire I described earlier.
(How often do you drop your undertray for inspection?)

As I wrote earlier, it's up to the individual what they choose.
If you type in on your computer, "why are under trays fitted on vehicles" you may be all surprised why they are fitted, even after 45 years in the motor trade I/ we can all learn something!!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If you type in on your computer, "why are under trays fitted on vehicles" you may be all surprised why they are fitted, even after 45 years in the motor trade I/ we can all learn something!!
That's true but, I find so much rubbish is written on the internet, it's sometimes hard to sort the fact from fiction.
I'll carry on doing my own thing but not stop anyone else doing theirs. 🤔

May 25, 2019
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt elddis
Exp
Since 2017
Major leaking triple water valve after it was given ok from repairers , who were meant to repair the water inlet too…. Guess what that doesn’t work either 😡🤬😡 what have we learnt? Always check absolutely everything is fully functioning before leaving given it is 40 miles away 🥴 . First job tomorrow? Phoning them to get it properly fixed before the weekend when it is next to be used.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Major leaking triple water valve after it was given ok from repairers , who were meant to repair the water inlet too…. Guess what that doesn’t work either 😡🤬😡 what have we learnt? Always check absolutely everything is fully functioning before leaving given it is 40 miles away 🥴 . First job tomorrow? Phoning them to get it properly fixed before the weekend when it is next to be used.
I would be tempted to drive up there tonight and park blocking their gate! 😡

Oct 26, 2020
Redcar yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elldis 185
Exp
DAMP.... my 12 month old Kontiki came back damp from its habitation check, there is a thread on it on here but its now came back from SWIFT and is bone dry. This was a very stressful experience I dont want to go through again.
Great to hear you've got the kontiki fixed
Did they explain in any detail how the water ingress happened or offer any apologies for stress caused?

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
Great to hear you've got the kontiki fixed
Did they explain in any detail how the water ingress happened or offer any apologies for stress caused?
Received an apology, which is more than I got from the dealer. Customer care were really nice. HOWEVER, you would expect an engineer's report or some supporting data, the SWIFT do not provide anything, even a damp report. I explained my annual habitation failed on damp, I need a report to show it's been repaired, but they would not supply it. It arrived back at my dealers for collection, and they took some readings and reissued a damp report showing it's now dry and a footnote stating it had received a factory repair.

Oct 26, 2020
Redcar yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elldis 185
Exp
Received an apology, which is more than I got from the dealer. Customer care were really nice. HOWEVER, you would expect an engineer's report or some supporting data, the SWIFT do not provide anything, even a damp report. I explained my annual habitation failed on damp, I need a report to show it's been repaired, but they would not supply it. It arrived back at my dealers for collection, and they took some readings and reissued a damp report showing it's now dry and a footnote stating it had received a factory repair.
Its as if they don't want to admit any liability
I guess dealer was kimberly at darlington?
Hope it's the last time it has to go back

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Washed and treated paintwork, flushed water system,replaced wardrobe light with led bulb,a lot brighter and stays cool compared to the old filament festoon bulb that used to get very hot when the wardrobe door wasn’t closed fully

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
I fitted a Prickstop plate to the drivers door on my Fiat Ducato. Straightforward job except for the fragility of plastic trim clips.
Can I ask which one you bought?

I have a 2019 Peugeot Boxer and the one video I watched of someone fitting one looked a bit of a mare - more incredibly footery, rather than technically difficult!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back