Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Thinking I might build one of these for my own van. Going to give it a refit later this year (again) and don't really want to spend a load on the Cerbo, unless there are clear benefits?

Could someone suggest what I should buy?
The Cerbo is basically a BeagleBone board (similar to but not the same as a Raspberry Pi) with a few I/Os added and some unused ports deleted from the design. It runs the Victron Venus OS, and has enough memory to run the Venus OS Large. You can get a small touchscreen, so the Cerbo can be installed near the Victron gear it is controlling. If you know what you are doing you can run it 'headless', controlled from a laptop, so no need for a screen.

The 'Large' version of the Venus OS is identical to the the standard version, but has additional functionality for further programming and tinkering. For example it has NodeRed, a kind of programming method that uses diagrams rather than reams of text. You may want this if you intend to experiment with sensors and control outputs.

A Raspberry Pi will run Venus OS, and some of them will run Venus OS Large. The Large version for the Raspberry Pi is available on the Victron website, in a different section. This section also tells you which of the Pis it has been tested on, so you know it works.

You don't mention the ColorControl GX control panel, but it's worth knowing that the CCGX won't run the 'Large' version of Venus OS.

The Arduino can't run Venus OS, but can interface with devices running Venus OS, so can be used to add functionality to an existing system.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thinking I might build one of these for my own van. Going to give it a refit later this year (again) and don't really want to spend a load on the Cerbo, unless there are clear benefits?

Could someone suggest what I should buy?

I have Victron chargers and inverter in my van already, and will add a smart shunt. I'll swap my water sensors to ones to suit at the same time.

PS - I ordered a few of the Ruvvi sensors, which have now arrived. Not tried them with a Cerbo yet as it's not installed yet (different van), but installed on my phone and they seem a good bit of kit.
This would be my take on the Cerbo GX vs Raspberry Pi running Venus OS ....

Connecting VE.Direct Devices (Smartshunt, MPPT, Phoenix Inverter): on a Cerbo, you need basic VE.Direct - VE.Direct cables; On a RPi you need to use VE.Direct - USB Dongles. The Dongles are a fair bit more expensive (about 3-4 times the price from memory).
Connecting VE.Bus Devices (bigger Inverters, Multipluses); On a Cerbo, you just use a basic Cat5 or Cat 6 cable (couple of quid); On an RPi you need to use a VE.Bus Mk3 Dongle - around £60.
Temp Sensors. Up to 4 Wired Temp Sensors on the Cerbo. None on RP. The Ruvvi's work by Bluetooth I think. Supported on Cerbo directly; Last I was aware the Bluetooth on the RPi is not enabled on the Venus OS.
The Cerbo has 4 Water Sensors which might suit you. RPi has no inputs
The Cerbo also has 4 Digital IO ports which are informational, plus 2 built-in Relays.

You could probably build/buy an IO Board for the RPi to support add-on inputs but you would have to keep an eye on the Venus OS and potentially fix any updates to keep supporting what you have added, whereas the Cerbo will work out the box with any updates.

I've use the RPi and the Cerbo GX (and the Venus GX for that matter) and I would recommend the Cerbo GX over the RPi for anyone who wants more than a very basic setup. If the advanced features and abilities that the Venus OS offers is of interest, for me I would say it is no contest unless the RPi is being bought as a hobby and challenge rather than a system solution.

The extra features of the Cerbo and using the "Large OS" option and enabling Node-Red can be a great advantage in many ways for advanced control as well. I have effectively converted my basic 240V Fridge/Freezer into a very efficient computer-controlled unit via a temp sensor, BMV Relay set to remote control & some programming within Node-Red running on the Cerbo GX. This has given me the ability to fine-tune the temperature ranges rather than relying on a basic bi-metallic strip and rotary dial as fitted on the typical Fridge.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks autorouter & Hoovie

I have a Cerbo GX & Screen here ready to install into a client van, along with tank sensors etc, so I think I'll make a decision once I've had a play with it all working.

I think fitting a Cerbo in my own van makes more sense tbh. It will give me a demo unit as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I knew you are the man. I have a issue with Ethernet on the house colour control GX. Lost all monitoring, changed router no joy. I got a WiFi usb, and had to pull one of the solar chargers to make space for the WiFi. A usb splitter crashes the WiFi adapter. All ve direct and usb’s are all taken. My GX is well over 7 years old so out of warranty. At the moment got the Has DC on to see the other charger input as negative. I guess the Ethernet module in the GX is goosed.
I’m going to set another inverter to AC in as generator, turned on by the relay with the generator assistant, only for heavy loads.
So I was thinking the gui mods for extra info will help.
Do you have a link for the latest release please? I’m running the latest 2,92 Venus os I think, on this GX. 🤝

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I’m not sure either if GUI mods are possible on Colour Control. Are they only for Venus, cerbo and Ras PI?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Kevin Windrem is active on the Modification Space area of the Victron Energy Community website, so your best is to ask Kevin directly Raul.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Kevin Windrem is active on the Modification Space area of the Victron Energy Community website, so your best is to ask Kevin directly Raul.

Hi Paul, I followed your advise and found Kevin’s fantastic work that he’s done for all of us. I downloaded the file, the blind update. That on usb, plunged on ANY GX or Rpi, reboot, then you get under the setting, the Package manager. It’s a must update if you run few bits on a system. Over there , I got the GUI, shut down button, generator start, and rpi pto display. All work beautifully, except the last. The Rpi package can not be done from this manager. It has to be run from the command line. As you guessed, on the van Pi I lost the display.

This is a snip from CCGX on lan
1E19EE93-4C4D-4885-9198-E40A66F2A992.png

I’ve done the package manager on the van’s Rpi, updated the OS to 3.08 then reverted to 2,92. I could not get the remote console on VRM with the OS 3.08, it must be a beta version, so I reverted to the newest official release. I’m gonna have a go with putty tomorrow to ssh the script for the screen. I have to learn this. If I run on to a brick wall, could I contact you please? Thank you. 🙏

This is the van snip
398BE85F-FC52-47FF-AAB3-C80CE3EF571A.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've been using Kevin's SetupHelper for a while now on the RasPi's for setting up GUiMods and the RasPi touch screens, but with the RasPi touch screens you do need to use Putty to terminal into the Pi's to rotate the screen and setup the screen res.
I'm running 3.08 and initially, the remote console on the VRM would lockup and then not reconnect, but for the last few days it's been fine.

Give me a yell if you need any help with modding the OS via Putty and ssh.

1669588161578.png

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
This thread will be a very interesting read for me :) Yesterday I installed a Raspberry Pi into my motor home.:

This is the hardware:
1 x 295W Smaller Size Perlight Black Plus Mono Percium Solar Panel
1 x 80W or 100W Unknown brand!
2 x Victron, smart solar charge controller with built-in Bluetooth 75/10 75/15 100/15 100/20
1 x Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12/30(3) 230V - BPC123044022
1 x Victron Smart Battery Sense Voltage and Temperature Sensor Long Range 10m
2 x Victron Energy VE.Direct to USB interface.
1 x Raspberry Pi 3b with latest VenusOS
It is working but I need to do some more reading to get it optimally configured.

1669980257023.png

This doesn't look like I have it configured properly!
1669980586911.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Looks ok to me, since you don’t have a inverter, a bmv etc. You don’t get the extra info. What you can do, under settings, look for “ has DC” and toggle it on.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
This thread will be a very interesting read for me :) Yesterday I installed a Raspberry Pi into my motor home.:

This is the hardware:
1 x 295W Smaller Size Perlight Black Plus Mono Percium Solar Panel
1 x 80W or 100W Unknown brand!
2 x Victron, smart solar charge controller with built-in Bluetooth 75/10 75/15 100/15 100/20
1 x Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12/30(3) 230V - BPC123044022
1 x Victron Smart Battery Sense Voltage and Temperature Sensor Long Range 10m
2 x Victron Energy VE.Direct to USB interface.
1 x Raspberry Pi 3b with latest VenusOS
It is working but I need to do some more reading to get it optimally configured.

View attachment 693296

This doesn't look like I have it configured properly!
View attachment 693301
With VRM you can keep a eye on things from the comfort of your own chair 😉

IMG_20221117_110516.jpg
IMG_20221117_110357.jpg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
For those of you who want to play with Home automation (could also be used within a MoHo) Home assist is also a great platform and can be used with Raspberry Pi

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Always interested to see what others have achieved with this sort of stuff. At 70 I'm still geeky 🤓

Let us know :)

.................. you can add your water tank and LPG levels on with the Mopeka Bluetooth sensors, plus keep an eye on their temperatures in the colder months. (y)

1670067400749.png

1670067410160.png

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My old mopeka has given up, what one do I need to buy Paul to show on VRM please?

It's the "Pro's", the round ones you need Dave.

I bought the Pro H2O water sensors from Paul pwilmo who bought a batch in from the States and may still have some available.

The Pro LPG sensor I bought via Amazon, here's the link.

Amazon product ASIN B08RR2HP1Z

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Paul, do you have a source where I can copy paste the content into putty for the touch screen please?
I managed to connect with putty to Rpi and calibrated the screen. I miss some data.
image.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I did does not install, it says it has to be installed from command line, hence I’m back to putty to ssh the data to the RPI.
In the package manager looks like this
201154F7-F42E-4439-AD81-5033E5FA73A7.png
F4306EDC-FA09-49A5-B877-E322B97DBF70.png
FC4D9DDF-E504-4040-AE32-3EEE1770A4B6.png

Note in the last photo, after I hit the proceed, I get that message, and only option ok, to acknowledge that needs to be run from command line.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Okay, this non installing of the Rpi display is new to me and I am not sure of the background as to why.

Okay another option and a good exercise for you is this.
Here's a link to the old manual scripts method of setting up the RasPi touchscreen which is still relevant on the later Vesus OS versions.
Use the scripts in conjunction with watching the very good the step by step instructions for install the scripts on Shawn Himmelberger's video.

Let me know how you get on. I'll have a look tomorrow if there is a workaround to Kevin's Setup Helper problem.

https://github.com/aaronsb/victronvenussupport/blob/master/venus_rpi_enablement.md

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I've got meself a Raspberry, they are like rocking horse s*it at the moment. Either silly prices or official suppliers quoting November.
It's only a 3B found it on ebay brand new but the older 3B with case and 16gb SD card. No bids on this one so I put in a bid in the last 30 secs and got it for8 £38.50 inc postage, 3B + are going for £70.

Unbelievably easy to get it up and running with Venus OS, just got to make up a serial lead and I can try it on my BMV700.

With the help of the video Paul Two on Tour put in the last post I got in as a superuser and got into it via consol.
Now do I need to install a packet manager to get HDMI output working and if so how?

I first installed Venus v2.72 Bluetooth didn't work on that although it's supposed so upgraded to 2.89, Bluetooth working now.
But Bluetooth range is diabolical only about 1½m the wireless is no better I can't even get a full strength signal within a couple of feet of one of my mesh hubs.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Now do I need to install a packet manager to get HDMI output working and if so how?

The packet manager only has the option to setup the official RasPi 7" touchscreen, not an HMDI screen.
Have a hunt on the Victron Community website for info on setting up HMDI. https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html
I only use the official RasPi 7" touchscreen, so I can't be much help.

PM me regarding a ve.direct to USB cable to connect your RasPi to your BMV700.

The WiFi never shows more than 3 bars even if you are sitting on top of it, but my MiFi on our van latches onto it okay.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've ordered a serial USB lead and some jst connectors so I'm OK for the serial lead so OK there, thanks.
More concerned about the Bluetooth range than the WiFi.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I've ordered a serial USB lead and some jst connectors so I'm OK for the serial lead so OK there, thanks.
More concerned about the Bluetooth range than the WiFi.
What Bluetooth features does the current Venus OS for RPi offer? I've not tried Venus OS on a Pi for a couple of years now and I recall the last build I used didn't support the RPi Bluetooth at all, although I think that has changed?

The Cerbo bluetooth is very limited use. A great shame Victron didn't manage to allow the Devices bluetooth to connect to the Cerbo GX. Maybe someone managed to sort that on the RPi build?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What Bluetooth features does the current Venus OS for RPi offer? I've not tried Venus OS on a Pi for a couple of years now and I recall the last build I used didn't support the RPi Bluetooth at all, although I think that has changed?
Not connected to anything yet to find out.
Here is a screen shot connected via Bluetooth.
1678717180391.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back