Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (3 Viewers)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Is there a way of doing a soft shut down on the RPI? Or doesn't it matter doing a hard shut down?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Gui mods adds a shut down button, if not re boot can be used as well for shut down, before you unplug the power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Right been back up the van and re-installed everything and it was working from the Victron Connect app and VRM, now the app has gone cranky with the message below. Doing a search and others have had it by no real answer.
Victron Connect App.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
MQTT needs to be off, unless you have devices connected to GX via MQTT.
I think its in services under settings.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Update I have restarted my phone and the Victron connect App is now working as it should. Don't know what's going on with it.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have been invited for the webinar when this was launched. You had to be loged into victron professional to access it and take part.
Unfortunately I missed it, didnt had the time then.
I will re visit this at some point, as I am really interested, it suposed to allow off grid with grid assist only, without installing ESS, and avoiding feed in.
Here is the YouTube video.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Update I have restarted my phone and the Victron connect App is now working as it should. Don't know what's going on with it.
Yeah my app does that if I come out of it then reselect it without a restart of victron connect are you running 3.1 with gui mods ?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Yeah my app does that if I come out of it then reselect it without a restart of victron connect are you running 3.1 with gui mods ?
Yes I did and it seems to have settled down, I think VRM got it's knickers in a twist due to the RPI update and it saw it as something different as they sent me an online validation token to confirm I was legit. All in all a good free service from Victron. I suppose there payback is all the info they are getting about all their devices.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use a Huawei E5573 MiFi with my set up and left it on charge constantly but was not really happy with it being on charge 24/7, so I installed a 12v timer so that the Mifi charging and RPI are only on for a set time. What I am finding is when the timer switches off the charging to the MiFi it shuts down completely so doesn't wake up when the timer kicks back in. Is this normal or is there a setting somewhere I can change. What are others using to get on the Internet for VRM?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I use a Huawei E5573 MiFi with my set up and left it on charge constantly but was not really happy with it being on charge 24/7, so I installed a 12v timer so that the Mifi charging and RPI are only on for a set time. What I am finding is when the timer switches off the charging to the MiFi it shuts down completely so doesn't wake up when the timer kicks back in. Is this normal or is there a setting somewhere I can change. What are others using to get on the Internet for VRM?
I just use the same as you but it's on 24/7 when away but just use home WiFi when on the drive.

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
I only connect to VRM when we are in the motorhome and touring (approx 6mths of the year). We are have a Teltonika RUT950 connected to a Poynting Mimo. When the motorhome is in storage there is no need to monitor it and the router gets used at home.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I just use the same as you but it's on 24/7 when away but just use home WiFi when on the drive.
I'm in storage so handy for me to keep any eye on things. I noticed my battery was bloated due to it being left on 24/7 and was concerned about about the potential fire risk, hence the timer. I found a few threads on the internet saying there is a way of running the unit without the battery so investigating that at the moment as there is nothing in settings on the unit.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Probably a stupid question but not familiar with the Victron OS on a Raspberry Pi, am i correct in thinking that whatever Victron device you want to monitor with the Raspberry Pi (ie BMV702 and 3 x MPPT controllers) you need to connect a cable to each of the Victron device's and then back to the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi or can you connect your Victron gear to the raspberry pi over Bluetooth like the Victron app does?
I know there is a screen or other ways of visually seeing the results but just wondering on the basics

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Probably a stupid question but not familiar with the Victron OS on a Raspberry Pi, am i correct in thinking that whatever Victron device you want to monitor with the Raspberry Pi (ie BMV702 and 3 x MPPT controllers) you need to connect a cable to each of the Victron device's and then back to the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi or can you connect your Victron gear to the raspberry pi over Bluetooth like the Victron app does?
I know there is a screen or other ways of visually seeing the results but just wondering on the basics
Yeah you need to use usb ports on the pi with ve direct to usb cables

• Informative
Reactions: zac
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Can you make it a bit more clear, what it doesnt turn back on? Is the charging to myfi resuming but the RPI does not re boot?
You dont turn off RPI by cutting the power, you will have problems with the SD card. The RPI should be propely shut down, in the menu or reboot and cut the power.
Separate the power from your myfi and RPI. I have the RPI 24/7 365, my router is powered separately of the RPI, as well 24/7 365. If i need to power off the router, the RPI remains functional and i can access it via local screen for inv on/off etc.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Can you make it a bit more clear, what it doesnt turn back on? Is the charging to myfi resuming but the RPI does not re boot?
You dont turn off RPI by cutting the power, you will have problems with the SD card. The RPI should be propely shut down, in the menu or reboot and cut the power.
Separate the power from your myfi and RPI. I have the RPI 24/7 365, my router is powered separately of the RPI, as well 24/7 365. If i need to power off the router, the RPI remains functional and i can access it via local screen for inv on/off etc.
It's the MiFi that doesn't switch back on, I have to press the button to start it again, which I can't do without going to the storage place.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Has any one successfully used a RasPi 2b for Cerbo-GX? I loaded it up with VenusOS yesterday and it is running fine or appears to be, but I don’t have anything to connect it to yet. Thought I would ask before I link it to the VRM as I am not sure if devices can easily be changed once linked.
I really want to keep my Pi3b for a HomeAssistant test bed. It doesn’t really have much to do to run just the one task with just a few devices, unlike with HomeAssistant which the 3b was running about 30 automations and about 150 devices before I migrated to a Thin Client PC machine.
I pick my Fogstar Batteries, Victron XS b2b and Victron 1200va inverter up from RogerIvy on Monday next. I already have a BMV-702 and a Votronic MPPT solar controller.
I presume I will lose blue tooth connectivity of the 702 as it has to be connected with cable rather than BlueTooth lead. Speaking of which is anybody successfully using DIY cables rather than the expensive Victron ones. I presume I will need three (shunt! B2B & Inverter) I presume Votronic doesn’t talk to the Cerbo-GX.
Any other thoughts or recommendations most welcome.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Has any one successfully used a RasPi 2b for Cerbo-GX? I loaded it up with VenusOS yesterday and it is running fine or appears to be, but I don’t have anything to connect it to yet. Thought I would ask before I link it to the VRM as I am not sure if devices can easily be changed once linked.
I really want to keep my Pi3b for a HomeAssistant test bed. It doesn’t really have much to do to run just the one task with just a few devices, unlike with HomeAssistant which the 3b was running about 30 automations and about 150 devices before I migrated to a Thin Client PC machine.
I pick my Fogstar Batteries, Victron XS b2b and Victron 1200va inverter up from RogerIvy on Monday next. I already have a BMV-702 and a Votronic MPPT solar controller.
I presume I will lose blue tooth connectivity of the 702 as it has to be connected with cable rather than BlueTooth lead. Speaking of which is anybody successfully using DIY cables rather than the expensive Victron ones. I presume I will need three (shunt! B2B & Inverter) I presume Votronic doesn’t talk to the Cerbo-GX.
Any other thoughts or recommendations most welcome.
Read through the thread Steve it will answer all your questions.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Oh, forgot to say, I don’t need wifi as the Pi will be in the tech cupboard with the router so a direct cable connection and an easy route to the battery cupboard with a USB cable where the shunt, B2B and Inverter will be.
Is there an easy way to access the VenusOS device on the network with a tablet like with HomeAssistant?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Providing you flashed the sd card with the relevant venus image for PI2, ot will work fine.
DIY cables work very well, I have 3 in my van since 2010-20. No faults.
Accessing the venus on LAN all you need to type in the browser is "venus.local" and you get full display and functionality. I use a Ipad and phone with success.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Providing you flashed the sd card with the relevant venus image for PI2, ot will work fine.
DIY cables work very well, I have 3 in my van since 2010-20. No faults.
Accessing the venus on LAN all you need to type in the browser is "venus.local" and you get full display and functionality. I use a Ipad and phone with success.
I am totally and utterly lost..😄😄 BUSBY.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have just been setting up a 4B in our van and made some cables from Pi Hut.
Ignored the colour coding and wired to the pin outs. All good but the smartshunt wasn't happy with the 5v feed so disconnected that and has worked fine since with that and the MPPT controller.
Also found some code to BT to the Fogstar battery, took a while to work out (I am not a programmer or familiar with code) but got there in the end. Been on test since for 5 days or so and all good. Fogstar doesn't give "time to go" anywhere on the Venus display but can live without that and you can't have the Fogstar and the Smart shunt on the screen display at the same time but it is available on VRM.
Works with my BT keyboard and hopefully will be good with some Ruuvi tags and a Mopeka LPG unit. I am concerned that the BT stack will lock out with the Fogstar constant code but will see when testing.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 17.09.39.png

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 17.11.20.png

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ignored the colour coding and wired to the pin outs. All good but the smartshunt wasn't happy with the 5v feed so disconnected that and has worked fine since with that and the MPPT controller.
Also found some code to BT to the Fogstar battery, took a while to work out (I am not a programmer or familiar with code) but got there in the end. Been on test since for 5 days or so and all good. Fogstar doesn't give "time to go" anywhere on the Venus display but can live without that and you can't have the Fogstar and the Smart shunt on the screen display at the same time but it is available on VRM.
Works with my BT keyboard and hopefully will be good with some Ruuvi tags and a Mopeka LPG unit. I am concerned that the BT stack will lock out with the Fogstar constant code but will see when testing.

View attachment 884096

View attachment 884097

20240406_120711.jpg

20240406_120057.jpg

20240405_184408.jpg

20240405_180148.jpg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

View attachment 884096

View attachment 884097

You must not connect the 5v on any of your DIY cables (the 5v supply is not needed) or your very likely kill your devices as some are 3v
You can only use the 5v on an Isolated USB to TTL UART FTDI like this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back