Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (2 Viewers)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
What Bluetooth features does the current Venus OS for RPi offer? I've not tried Venus OS on a Pi for a couple of years now and I recall the last build I used didn't support the RPi Bluetooth at all, although I think that has changed?

The Cerbo bluetooth is very limited use. A great shame Victron didn't manage to allow the Devices bluetooth to connect to the Cerbo GX. Maybe someone managed to sort that on the RPi build?

I'm using the Bluetooth on my RasPi running the Venus OS to communicate with my Mopeka LPG, fresh and grey waste level sensors.
The fresh water sensor is about 3 metres from the RasPi and the Bluetooth connection is stable.

1678715235579.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Paul, I think you have the B+, and Bluetooth it’s quite good on that one.
Lenny, if you have spare usb on the RPi, you could use a usb Bluetooth dongle. What screen do you have? There is a updated git hub install for hdmi screen last time I looked.
Again will need putty and ssh the script.

Do setup helper first link here

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm running a RasPi 4 model B in the van Raul.
I have it give me my data from the JK - BMS as you can see on the bottom line of my screenshot in my post above.
Here it's displaying the cell voltages.

1678718843300.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, if you have spare usb on the RPi, you could use a usb Bluetooth dongle. What screen do you have? There is a updated git hub install for hdmi screen last time I looked.
Again will need putty and ssh the script.

Do setup helper first link here
Don't have a screen yet I just wanted to try it through my desktop screen.
Just playing at the moment but when new van eventually arrives if there is somewhere suitable to mount a screen I'll get a touch screen.
I've got some ancient Bluetooth dongles about but drivers might be a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Don't have a screen yet I just wanted to try it through my desktop screen.
Just playing at the moment but when new van eventually arrives if there is somewhere suitable to mount a screen I'll get a touch screen.
I've got some ancient Bluetooth dongles about but drivers might be a problem.
You can still run setup helper headless, without a screen.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I'm running a RasPi 4 model B in the van Raul.
I have it give me my data from the JK - BMS as you can see on the bottom line of my screenshot in my post above.
Here it's displaying the cell voltages.

View attachment 726402
Oh nice the RPI4 is even better than 3+.
Hopefully by next week I get a CAN interface that’s made for JK to work with GX devices. It gives the JK external control, and can throttle down the chargers via DVCC. By the way, that’s a perfect balance on those cells. My 16s, packs are close to 2-4mv, but still time to balance. So far one cycle. 👍

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I'm using the Bluetooth on my RasPi running the Venus OS to communicate with my Mopeka LPG, fresh and grey waste level sensors.
The fresh water sensor is about 3 metres from the RasPi and the Bluetooth connection is stable.

View attachment 726366
Interesting :) would you know if that is a RPi add-on for the LPG or work on 'standard' Venus OS (I run OS Large on a Cerbo GX).

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting :) would you know if that is a RPi add-on for the LPG or work on 'standard' Venus OS (I run OS Large on a Cerbo GX).
The Mopeka Pro sensors are setup via the I/O menu of Venus OS and is available in both the standard and the OS Large versions from version 2.90 on.
You can also setup and use the Ruvvitag sensors in the same menu.
You then setup the parameter of each of your sensors to suit your installation via the Gui Mods menus

1678726121647.png

1678726133646.png

1678726875325.png

1678727020874.png

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Tearing my hair out with this Raspberry.
Took it out to the van to plug in my BMV700, then found out you need an internet connection to be able to do anything, I thought you could just connect via Bluetooth.
After I plugged it back into my network it had seen the BMV700.

Then the hair tearing started, because the wifi didn't appear to work that well I thought I'd try a la later OS, it wouldn't reboot after that. several hours and various OS versions later it booted. Only thing I can assume is that the file was not copying correctly to the card.

After that I have no wireless the tab was there but no networks, I tried enabling wifi via shell, it told me it was enabled. A few more hours & reinstalls and it works but Wifi range is now only a couple of feet. So Irisked changing OS it worked now on 2.93 but wifi range still only a couple of feet.

Just came back to it after a few days I can see the wifi networks but it won't connect and because it doesn't connect it doesn't remember the password, anyway many reboots it connects.
Then I try connecting to another network, loads of attempts and it finally connects.

I was powering it from a power block and wifi connected to my phone so I've just taken it out to the van.
In shock now it all worked, I risked turning off the hotspot and turned it back on and it reconnected.
The wifi range is so short it's unusable, move the phone 3 foot away and it drops the connection & and doesn't reconnect unless I turn the hotspot off & on.

At least I have it working I don't understand why the first time I got the wifi working I had a range of a couple of meters and now only a couple of feet even with the same OS I first used.
Is the flaky wifi a product of it being a 3B rather than a 3B+ or a 4?

Disappointed that you can only monitor via the VRM portal on the net. Poor wifi performance I can get around as when I get the new van I'll get a better Mifi/router with Eithernet ports & hardwire it. For monitoring at home looks like my best option would be to put a mesh node in the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny HB the RasPi 3B only has 2.4Ghz WiFi which will be seen but will not connect if you are using a 5Ghz WiFi network.
I have a TP Link mesh which broadcasts both so it maybe it sees the 5g and says sod that.
I bought this one to play around with as they are like gold dust at the moment with main suppliers quoting November delivery for a 3B+ or a 4.

We are off on Monday when we get back in May I'll have another play and see if it's more reliable if I turn off the 5G.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Took it out to the van to plug in my BMV700, then found out you need an internet connection to be able to do anything, I thought you could just connect via Bluetooth.

Then the hair tearing started, because the wifi didn't appear to work that well I thought I'd try a la later OS, it wouldn't reboot after that. several hours and various OS versions later it booted. Only thing I can assume is that the file was not copying correctly to the card.

After that I have no wireless the tab was there but no networks, I tried enabling wifi via shell, it told me it was enabled. A few more hours & reinstalls and it works but Wifi range is now only a couple of feet. So Irisked changing OS it worked now on 2.93 but wifi range still only a couple of feet.

Just came back to it after a few days I can see the wifi networks but it won't connect and because it doesn't connect it doesn't remember the password, anyway many reboots it connects.
Then I try connecting to another network, loads of attempts and it finally connects.

I was powering it from a power block and wifi connected to my phone so I've just taken it out to the van.
In shock now it all worked, I risked turning off the hotspot and turned it back on and it reconnected.
The wifi range is so short it's unusable, move the phone 3 foot away and it drops the connection & and doesn't reconnect unless I turn the hotspot off & on.

At least I have it working I don't understand why the first time I got the wifi working I had a range of a couple of meters and now only a couple of feet even with the same OS I first used.

Disappointed that you can only monitor via the VRM portal on the net. Poor wifi performance I can get around as when I get the new van I'll get a better Mifi/router with Eithernet ports & hardwire it. For monitoring at home looks like my best option would be to put a mesh node in the van.
Lenny I use a 3B and it connects to my house WiFi no problem, if you go into remote console, io, Bluetooth sensors, is continuous scanning enable if it is this can affect the WiFi signal.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

Not used the RPi on the Venus OS for quite a while and things may have changed, but a lot of the above does sound familiar

OK. What kind of Monitoring are you looking at? The historical VRM graphs and the like .... yes, only available via the Internet going to the VRM.victronenergy.com portal as they are generated using data logged and transmitted to the VRM system.
The "point in time" monitoring that is available from the Control Panel you can access via the local router Intranet and don't need a network. For example, I can connect to the Control Panel on my dashboard 'infotainment' system without going to the internet, but just putting in the local IP address.
e.g.
1679593155807.png

I set the IP Address to be manual rather than dynamic so easier to save a link to access directly
And of course the graphical screen, which would be like the 'traditional' screen a Victron user would look at if they had one of the original CCGX systems
1679593291539.png

And in fact, you probably don't even need the IP address at all (this may depend on your router possibly?). You can connect your phone/tablet/pc to the router in the van and type in "venus.local" to connect.
1679593617877.png

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I have a TP Link mesh which broadcasts both so it maybe it sees the 5g and says sod that.
I bought this one to play around with as they are like gold dust at the moment with main suppliers quoting November delivery for a 3B+ or a 4.

We are off on Monday when we get back in May I'll have another play and see if it's more reliable if I turn off the 5G.
Forgot to mention but if you can connect to the 3B with Bluetooth in victron connect app if you hit the cog in the top right you can connect and scan for networks there as well.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have mine hard wired to the router on the ethernet port, rather than using wan.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not used the RPi on the Venus OS for quite a while and things may have changed, but a lot of the above does sound familiar

OK. What kind of Monitoring are you looking at? The historical VRM graphs and the like .... yes, only available via the Internet going to the VRM.victronenergy.com portal as they are generated using data logged and transmitted to the VRM system.
The "point in time" monitoring that is available from the Control Panel you can access via the local router Intranet and don't need a network. For example, I can connect to the Control Panel on my dashboard 'infotainment' system without going to the internet, but just putting in the local IP address.
e.g.
View attachment 730779
I set the IP Address to be manual rather than dynamic so easier to save a link to access directly
And of course the graphical screen, which would be like the 'traditional' screen a Victron user would look at if they had one of the original CCGX systems
View attachment 730781

And in fact, you probably don't even need the IP address at all (this may depend on your router possibly?). You can connect your phone/tablet/pc to the router in the van and type in "venus.local" to connect.
View attachment 730787
That's easy enough to do, I thought you could connect via Bluetooth and see all the devices and data that way.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Lenny, you are using a hub to connect to the RPI via LAN or WAN. Bluetooth is not for this type of comms. It’s to add other bits to the RPI to send their data via Bluetooth, to the RPI. Not as a access point for you to connect to it.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Yes Lenny ive been told i'm a fool for trying to use bluetooth to connect an arduino to other bluetooth devices (eg mopeka and my battery BMS) in a dammed site less polite way than Raul. I can read the stuff on my phone i can talk arduino to phone just cant find the info to pair and unpair devices on arduino and the format that other devices (eg mopeka) pump it out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, you are using a hub to connect to the RPI via LAN or WAN. Bluetooth is not for this type of comms. It’s to add other bits to the RPI to send their data via Bluetooth, to the RPI. Not as a access point for you to connect to it.
OK then am I right in thinking that if I add a touch screen the RPI sends the data to VRM portal & then it gets sent back to the RPI before you can see it on the screen & there is no way of using the RPI as a stand alone device?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
OK then am I right in thinking that if I add a touch screen the RPI sends the data to VRM portal & then it gets sent back to the RPI before you can see it on the screen & there is no way of using the RPI as a stand alone device?

If the RPI is setup to send data to the Victron portal for using the VRM, then the data sent to the VRM can be one way to the VRM or two way and if two ways then you can then control a certain amount of the Venus OS functions remotely via the internet using the remote console within the VRM .

With a touchscreen you can operate the RPI as a stand-alone unit and control all of the Venus OS functions and input menu values via the tochscreen and there is no requirement to connect to the VRM via internet, Bluetooth or WiFi, in fact as a stand-alone, you do not need to have the Bluetooth or WiFi activated on the RPI.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With a touchscreen you can operate the RPI as a stand-alone unit and control all of the Venus OS functions and input menu values via the tochscreen and there is no requirement to connect to the VRM via internet, Bluetooth or WiFi, in fact as a stand-alone, you do not need to have the Bluetooth or WiFi activated on the RPI.
Brillant just what I want, thanks Paul.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not got a clue yet I will have to wait until I get the van and see what space is available, a 7" would be nice, a 4" a bit small but depends on space and getting all the cables through.

I use the RPI official 7" touchscreen which the RPI mounts on the back of and is fitted into a DesignSparks case which is an all-in-one neat option that you might consider Lenny.
If this looks like it would work for you, then give me a yell when you get back as I have a few of the 7" screens and cases knocking around.
You could just use the RPI mounted on the screen and inset it into a panel or cupboard back.

1679828583431.png

There is a back that fits in the case if required.
1679828598711.png

1679828612795.png

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Where is the best place to obtain these items/information please?

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Really interested in doing something in the van, and following what Lenny HB is up to! Old interests being stirred up!:unsure: Just what can a RPi be used for in the van, would be good to be able to go to central information point - Google is slowly wasting so much of my time. I used to design and build life test rigs, with logic motion control , and data loggers. Now looking for something nice and simple to ignite the brain again!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back