Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (3 Viewers)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
No it isn’t me, but the victron guy has a point. Apart of the fact they spent R&D and sell them, it is true, in complex systems diy cables don’t work well or can cause other issues with equipment. On 900 quid solar chargers I do use victron cables. On a small system in the van, I did had a go and made 3 diy cables that proved to be a success.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
This is not working out for me, I can monitor ok but the process is pulling out more power than my 2 SP can put back in now.
The Rasberry, stepdown power module and permanently on MiFi are pulling .5 Amps, does that sound right?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Yes that’s low. My all monitoring and wifi, eats 12-20w constant. No issue for me with 400ah LFP and 600w solar on the roof.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My Pi for the Victron plus PSU, powered USB hub and MiFi draws about 1.3 amps.
Not too worried here either as we have a 280ah lithium and 410 watts on the roof.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I only have 160w of solar, I was optomistic in the extreem
I was going to add a Pi and some other random ESP microcontrollers. But my battery already drains dead in less than 2 weeks. I've got 180w of solar, but where I'm parked, it's in shadow all the time at this time of year, so never gets more than a few Ah per day.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Mine was just about keeping up until I added the pi along with the necessary kit to run it.
Still the days are getting longer and at least the storage site is only 5 mins from me and I can put it on EHU.

OP
OP
S
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I'm the same at this time of year, we had less than usual sunlight this December as well. I've been bringing the van home every 9-10 days for a top up, which is probably better for it than standing unmoved for a long period.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

For those interested Victron officially released the 2.80 version of the Venus OS yesterday.

Full change log - compared to v2.73

Main new features:

• Add support for the wireless Ruuvi temperature sensors, which also measure humidity and air pressure. Data is available in the GUI, as well as on VRM. The Ruuvi sensors are available for sale via www.ruuvi.com, Victron is not stocking them. Note that while the sensor itself also reports movement aka acceleration data, that information is not available within Venus OS.
  • Add DC load monitoring, and production. Details below.
  • Add AC load monitoring. Details below.
  • Add preliminary support for the new Multi RS. Note that this is incomplete.
AC Load monitoring details:

• All energy meter types can now be configured to a new "role": AC Load monitor. This is done in the menu where you also choose between Grid, PV Inverter and Generator. With AC Load monitor selected, the load will be shown in the Device list. Note that we still need to work on VRM for this (add it to the Advanced page, and perhaps elsewhere as well), and also note that measured loads are not used in any calculations.
DC Load monitoring details:

• SmartShunts and BMV-712s can now be configured to be a DC Energy Meter, rather than a Battery Monitor. Two things happen when one or more SmartShunts are configured as such: (1) the power shown in the DC system box is the sum of powers reported by all SmartShunts configured as such. Allowing multiple meters is done to accommodate for example a catamaran, then you can measure the DC Systems on Port side and on Starboard side. Use the Custom name setting to give each of the meters configured as DC System their own name. (2) the DC System Current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to Multis, Quattros and Solar Chargers. Which in more detail mains that for example when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the Multis & Solar Chargers is 75A. A valued improved for systems with significant DC loads such as Yachts, Coaches and RVs.

Notes and limitations: (A) instead of a SmartShunt, also a BMV-712 can be used. (B) Setting it to be a DC System is done in the settings of the BMV/SmartShunt itself. (C) The NMEA2000-out feature does not support these new types, for example when using a SmartShunt to measure output of an alternator, that data is not made available on NMEA2000.
DVCC and managed batteries, connected by CAN-Bus:

• Force DVCC settings for Pylontech batteries as per documentation (DVCC on, SVS and STS both off). This is now the same as already in place for various other battery makes.
  • Detect- and for good settings for- BMZ ESS Batteries: DVCC=ON, SVS=Off, STS=Off
  • Force-enable SVS for the Lynx Smart BMS
  • Add custom name support: user and installer can configure a name for the battery. This name is stored on the GX device.
  • Only use the selected battery monitor; affects systems that have a managed battery and a BMV (or similar) Victron battery monitor installed.
  • Fix bug: Shared Temperature Sense did not work between an temperature sensor attached to the GX device and VE.Can devices. Bug in Venus since v2.40.
  • Automatically switch to charging if a grid connection is available and a managed battery requests charge. Currently only Pylontech and some BYD batteries support a charge request indication
  • Stop solar chargers when the BMS is disconnected in an ESS system. Solar chargers will show error #67 – No BMS.
ESS:

• Change the "Total of all phases" mode to be symmetrical: all phases are adjusted to convert the same amount of power from, as well as to, DC. In the past, this option primarily avoided passing power through the DC-bus to avoid inefficiency, but didn't take full advantage of the billing arrangement to use all the available power when there is a shortfall on another phase. Now it divides the work equally across the phases, thereby making the full inverter capacity available, and with no impact on billing. More detailed text on the Community v2.80~16 beta announcement, and soon in the manual.
VRM Portal:

• Add information to show detailed Generator information (running/not running, last run, why its running, and more) on the VRM Portal Dashboard, when enabling the Detailed view.
  • Add information to show detailed information about AC input (grid/shore) as well as AC Loads. Includes frequency and other information.
Inverter RS:

• complete the support for the Inverter RS. Includes DVCC, control by managed batteries, SOC sync and Extra battery current, showing its error code.
  • remove support when connected on VE.Direct. From v2.80 onwards, the only working connection for an Inverter RS to a GX device is on a VE.Can network.
MultiPlus-II 2x120V:

• Show output current & power on the second leg, as well as transmit that to VRM for logging and visualisation on the dashboard.
HTML5 Marine MFD App:

• Fix Garmin MFD issue that appeared in a certain start-up sequence, this issue most likely existed in the design since the beginning.
  • Show the inverter/charger widget even when the AC Inputs are configured to Generator or Not available.
  • Fix fault description for non-VE.Bus chargers
  • Fix on/off state buttons for non-VE.Bus chargers
  • Add lock button that helps prevent accidental button presses like "Start generator" or "Multi Off".
  • Add Dutch, Chinese, French, German and Italian to thelanguages.
  • Add a placeholder & message in case no data is present.
  • Add 3A button to the input limit selector.
  • Hide 3rd phase in case of a split-phase system.
  • Fix keyboard buttons not working in Remote Console.
Various:

• Reduce GX device CPU load for many system types.
  • NMEA2000-out: fix Solar sender DC instance storage to non-volatile memory. This never worked right, until now.
  • Update recognition of Fimer grid-tie PV Inverters: Fimer recently acquired ABB and is now updating the names and recognition strings in the code.
  • Increase the maximum possible power value for starting a generator, was 100kW now 1MW. Thank you Jens-Uwe P for reporting.
  • Tank inputs on Cerbo GX and Venus GX: increase max tank resistance to 300 Ohm, thank you Alex Muir for asking.
  • Improve WiFi recovery from Failure status.
  • Improve ET340 in combination with Zigbee link, when installed in a lossy/noisy environment.
  • Fix connection issue with FzSonick batteries, using the RS485-USB cable. Issue was introduced in v2.73.
  • Support exfat filesystem, for large removable media (sdcards, usb sticks). Note that this is not for the raspberrypis, since (only they) still ship with a version of Linux that does not support exfat.
  • Remove transmission of load averages to VRM. Those values, visible on the diagnostics page on VRM, are not used, confusing, and the D-Bus RTT time is a much better indicator of (over-)load of a GX device, hence remove them.
User interface (CCGX, GX Touch, Remote console):

• Add eject button to the offline firmware update menu.
  • Fix issue that caused the overview to change when switching off the Multi in a system configured for ESS
  • Fix an issue where the grid meter reading disappeared from the gui when the Multi is off
  • Slightly renamed a few VE.Bus errors and error 8 & 11 detailed status codes to be less ambiguous. And VE.Bus error 15.
  • Wifi menu: ask for confirmation before forgetting/disconnecting from a network, as well as before disabling the Access Point; to prevent accidental locking oneselves out, especially when remote.
  • In the WiFi connection menu, give so-called hidden WiFi networks a name (their mac address), so that they no longer appear as empty rows in the menu.
  • Fix missing "Recharge" text in ESS BatteryLife state field. It said "Uknown" since Venus OS v2.20.
Bluetooth:

• Fix Bluetooth pincodes starting with a 0; this was broken since the first release of BLE functionality in Venus OS.
  • Implement keep-alive functionality: improves robustness with certain phones by avoiding Venus OS thinking its still connected and then remaining connected while its not.
  • Fix GX device not being visible on other phones while already connected to one. Now it is visible in the 2nd phone, but then with an explanation that to connect, the other phone needs to actually disconnect first. This is now on par with how other Victron products work with Bluetooth.
  • Improve compatibility with USB-bluetooth dongles, relevant for CCGX and Venus GX.
Developers, ModbusTCP, Node-RED, MQTT:

• Removed the Pv/Current path aka register from our internal databus. D-Bus. Going forward, to use that, you need to calculate it by dividing the power by the voltage. Affects all APIs, including Modbus-TCP.
  • Fix the definition for Modbus-TCP register 2710 (DVCC override charge voltage). Since the mistake rendered it largely useless, and this is a fairly new register, no new register is allocated.
  • Change the rootfs to be default read-only. Careful, this is quite the change in case you're modifying your rootfs. The reason behind this is quality and robustness. Every boot is now the same, instead of an initial boot possibly being different from the second or the third. And less writes to the storage, which reduces the wear, and more advantages. The downside is obviously that its a bit more hassle in case you want to modify the software. To learn how, read this commit.
  • Change the used Open Embedded release from Zeus to Dunfell. More details about OE releases are here. Dunfell is relatively recent LTS (long term support) version. The expectation is to be able to stay at Dunfell for quite some time to come.
  • Change the used Python version from v2.7 to v3.. This was something we needed to do anyway, and sort of a requirement that comes with switching over to Dunfell. For those that wrote their own code this does mean work. See also this post on community.
  • Enable https support for php

OP
OP
S
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I keeping thinking about trying out a Ruuvi temperature sensor with Venus OS and the RPi4, hopefully I'm correct in that it will work via bluetooth. However I've not yet managed to source a UK supplier, they can be ordered direct from Ruuvi, but last time I looked I needed to order 4 to get free delivery (delivery cost of a single sensor was prohibitive) Expensive way of keeping an eye on the fridge internal temperature but it's another toy!

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a big release, I may have to pay you a visit Paul. Will give you a nudge later on. If any interes for ruuvi group buy, I’m in. If you buy 4 is free delivery, saving 30 something euros.

steveh57, maybe we can group buy the ruuvi if some other wants some?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Expensive way of keeping an eye on the fridge internal temperature but it's another toy!

I'm using Sonoff Zigbee temperature/humidity sensors in the fridge and freezer via an Echo Dot and I just ask Alexa what the fridge or freezer temperatures are. (y)
I also use Sonoff Zigbee temperature/humidity sensors for van internal and external temperatures and use Sonoff Zigbee door/window sensors via a Sonoff Zigbee relay to fire a sounder for window alarms.

OP
OP
S
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
That’s a big release, I may have to pay you a visit Paul. Will give you a nudge later on. If any interes for ruuvi group buy, I’m in. If you buy 4 is free delivery, saving 30 something euros.

steveh57, maybe we can group buy the ruuvi if some other wants some?
I would be interested in one!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Raul Is this you on Victron's site about DIY VE Direct cables? them not happy bunnies.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/48562/vedirect-diy-cable.html

I agree with the engineer on this. I have installed literally 1,000s of network cables. I used to make my own to custom lengths but I lost so much time from faulty ones that seemed ok at the start.
It is a big false economy and there is a pretty good chance you will regret it.

I got very good at making Cat5 cables up but it only takes one failure to undo the savings.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I agree with the engineer on this. I have installed literally 1,000s of network cables. I used to make my own to custom lengths but I lost so much time from faulty ones that seemed ok at the start.
It is a big false economy and there is a pretty good chance you will regret it.

I got very good at making Cat5 cables up but it only takes one failure to undo the savings.

The choice was to pay at least £27 each for a Victron VE.Direct USB cable or make my own for less than a fiver each, I needed 3 cables.
Nearly £100 or less than £15, hey, guess what, I made my own, and they are hardly taxing the brain cells to make. :smiley:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The choice was to pay at least £27 each for a Victron VE.Direct USB cable or make my own for less than a fiver each, I needed 3 cables.
Nearly £100 or less than £15, hey, guess what, I made my own, and they are hardly taxing the brain cells to make. :smiley:
It's a choice :)

Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Here's my Victron setup integrated into Home Assistant. The grey lines on the charts are are the previous days use and solar input. Bottom left some additional stuff with a Netgear M2 Router.
IMG_8523.jpg

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Slightly off topic (as using a Cerbo GX), but I get to wire this lot up next week:

View attachment 566137

Ignore the EHU charger, but it's likely there will be another two MPPT 100/30's (change in solar config). Think this is the most Victron I've ever fitted to a van. Should be fun :giggle:
Hey Dave,
Just a few comments if I may on the above kit ....
Why do you have a SBS unit there? This is not needed if you have a Cerbo and you enable STS and SVS in Venus OS (the Temp info comes from the Temp Sensor supplied with the Multiplus and the Voltage info from the SmartShunt
Do you really need the Mk3 Dongle? When you have a Cerbo, you can connect the Multiplus directly via a simple Cat 5 Network cable. The only reason you really need the device is if you are connecting to a RPi (no VE.Bus port) or you don't have a Venus OS system so need it for Configuring the Multiplus (VE.Config can be run via VRM and now Firmware upgrades can as well. I've not used my MK3 Dongle for goodness knows how long!)
Battery Master? Just a comment that it is not compatible with Lithium Batteries (I am making an assumption here that anyone investing in so much blue kit is likely also to be investing in a Lithium Battery installation?)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Battery Master? Just a comment that it is not compatible with Lithium Batteries (I am making an assumption here that anyone investing in so much blue kit is likely also to be investing in a Lithium Battery installation?)
That hasn’t been the advice I’ve received. Our Battery Master, fitted long before we had lithium batteries fitted, works perfectly in keeping the starter battery topped up.

OP
OP
S
May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
That hasn’t been the advice I’ve received. Our Battery Master, fitted long before we had lithium batteries fitted, works perfectly in keeping the starter battery topped up.
Must admit that's what I'm using, I wonder why Hoovie suggests it's not compatible?

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Must admit that's what I'm using, I wonder why Hoovie suggests it's not compatible?
What you want from a Trickle Charger is to send some charge to the Starter Battery when you are charging the Leisure Battery. Indeed, this is a quote about the Battery Master from the MHF store ... "The Battery Master keeps your engine battery safely topped up, whenever you have surplus power from a hook-up, a solar panel or generator"
However, the Battery Master will send charge to the Starter when a Lithium Battery is being charged or not, as the voltage threshold is too low for Lithium I.e. the Difference between the Lithium Battery voltage and Starter Battery voltage is generally >0.5V even when no charging happening.
So yes, it will trickle charge the Starter when you have Lithium, but it is just on all the time and not a controlled device that only operates when the van is on charge.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey Dave,
Just a few comments if I may on the above kit ....
Why do you have a SBS unit there? This is not needed if you have a Cerbo and you enable STS and SVS in Venus OS (the Temp info comes from the Temp Sensor supplied with the Multiplus and the Voltage info from the SmartShunt
Do you really need the Mk3 Dongle? When you have a Cerbo, you can connect the Multiplus directly via a simple Cat 5 Network cable. The only reason you really need the device is if you are connecting to a RPi (no VE.Bus port) or you don't have a Venus OS system so need it for Configuring the Multiplus (VE.Config can be run via VRM and now Firmware upgrades can as well. I've not used my MK3 Dongle for goodness knows how long!)
Hey,

The SBS is just to monitor the starter battery. Nice cheap easy way that I have in my own van (y)

The dongle is because I need extra USB ports, the Multiplus is connected via a Cat 5.

Battery Master (the VanBitz version) works great with LiFePO4. I have one in my own van as it has always suffered from a periodic parasitic draw. It solved the problem (y)

The Battery Master kicks in when the starter battery gets too low, compared to the LB (0.6v from memory?). This is ideal with LiFePO4 as the resting voltage is 13.2v, so it keeps the SB at around 12.6v.

And yep, the above kit is getting LiFePO4. All being paired with a 460Ah Roamer Gen2 (great bit of kit).

Hope that helps,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back