Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
OK then am I right in thinking that if I add a touch screen the RPI sends the data to VRM portal & then it gets sent back to the RPI before you can see it on the screen & there is no way of using the RPI as a stand alone device?
I just use my Raspi without a screen use the widgets on my phone for info and the phone as a screen or the Moho TV with a firestick to connect to the vrm or the house TV if wanted can control inverter mppt etc from anywhere.

Screenshot_2023-03-26-13-05-44-460_com.miui.home.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-26-13-21-28-386_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just use my Raspi without a screen use the widgets on my phone for info and the phone as a screen or the Moho TV with a firestick to connect to the vrm or the house TV if wanted can control inverter mppt etc from anywhere.

View attachment 731750

View attachment 731754
Looks good but does mean having a network connection to the RPI.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I use the RPI official 7" touchscreen which the RPI mounts on the back of and is fitted into a DesignSparks case which is an all-in-one neat option that you might consider Lenny.
If this looks like it would work for you, then give me a yell when you get back as I have a few of the 7" screens and cases knocking around.
You could just use the RPI mounted on the screen and inset it into a panel or cupboard back.

View attachment 731722

There is a back that fits in the case if required.
View attachment 731723

View attachment 731724
That looks good thanks for the offer I'll be in touch bit busy at the moment loading the van, off tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I finally found out why the screen will not work with setup helper add on packages. If you install setup helper via stick, blind install, most function will load and work fine, like gui mods etc...
But if you want the screen set up, it won’t work, at least didn’t for me. It keeps coming with the message I posted before here. Screen setup needs to be run from command line. That’s what actually confused me. In fact, if you install setup helper entirely not just screen set up), via ssh from command line instead, then you pick your active packages as you wish, it does install and works, the pesky screen setup. I got my screen back, updated the Venus to 2.94 and gui to 7.4 I think. No more looking for a phone to turn the inverter on/off.
The advantage of having a screen in place, it’s when your LAN is down or don’t have one in the van.
So for anyone struggling getting the screen working, any 7” wont need any calibration, works if you run setup helper from command line, then pick you screen setup in the package manager. Blind install works I think if you run headless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
This is interesting for those making up their own converter cables or running of USB ports on the RPI, this USB-UART Converter with 4 separate and isolated ports allows you to connect 4 VE.Direct Victron devices to one USB ports. Is anyone using one?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This is interesting for those making up their own converter cables or running of USB ports on the RPI, this USB-UART Converter with 4 separate and isolated ports allows you to connect 4 VE.Direct Victron devices to one USB ports. Is anyone using one?

I follow Andy's channel and I bought and fitted one of these USB to Uart converters after watch this video at the end of last year.
I had been running my Victron devices to my Raspberry Pi on homemade Ve.Direct cables via a USB hub which worked but could be a bit clunky at times.
The USB to Uart converter has worked faultlessly since fitting.
I have one cable run to the USB to Uart converter which is about 4 metres and runs alongside several other cables including AC cables, so I have run this in a shielded cable just in case it was likely to pick up any interference.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I had not updated the Venus OS on my Raspberry Pi for a few months, so updated it to the latest beta version v3.20~5 a few days ago.
I have found it the screen to respond a lot faster now as does the remote console on the VRM, plus you can now choose to display in either light or dark mode. (y)

1695714624089.png

1695714641113.png

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Two on Tour That's good to hear, I think this will be right up Lenny HB strasse when he finally get his new van, he is bound to need copious amounts of ports with all the kit he will be fitting.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Two on Tour That's good to hear, I think this will be right up Lenny HB strasse when he finally get his new van, he is bound to need copious amounts of ports with all the kit he will be fitting.
I flogged him a nice new Raspberry Pi and 7" screen with a case a few months back, so hopefully the new van will give him the impetus to get on and do something with it. :wink: :giggle:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Two on Tour Is the 3.2 image BETA as I can only see 3.10 on Victron's list. Also did you have to use the SD card or just an update from the Venus OS options?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Two on Tour Is the 3.2 image BETA as I can only see 3.10 on Victron's list. Also did you have to use the SD card or just an update from the Venus OS options?
Yes v3.20 is only available for beta testing, here's the link to the beta testing website folder. If you are running a Ras Pi 4, the go up a level to the "parent Directory" and select the Ras Pi 4 folder.

https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/testing/images/raspberrypi2/

I normally download the latest beta image and flash it to an SD card using Belena Etcher. I keep the last version I was running on the SD card that was in the Pi in case I need to go back a step if there are problems with the latest beta release.
You can normally only get the latest stable release by using the firmware updating from the online updating option.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
You can use vrm then remote console to update to 3.20 easily just follow these steps:

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
On a slightly different note could anyone shed any light on this new feature victron have introduced I cant seem to find it on 3.1?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You can use vrm then remote console to update to 3.20 easily just follow these steps:

View attachment 814537

If that's your system in the video and it's giving you the option, then I don't see why not.
v3.10 was released as a stable version earlier this month, but I know that further testing has thrown up some bugs and Victron were talking of releasing v3.11 as a fix, but the bugs present in v3.10 may not affect your system.

Personally, I like to keep a copy of the last Venus OS that I have been running on an SD card just in case there is a problem with the current beta I'm using or in case the current SD card in the Pi becomes corrupted, then I can simply pop in the spare SD card and I can be up and running again in a few minutes.
As I'm viewing the Mopeka sensors on the Pi, I have to set the sensor parameters each time I install a new version of Venus OS, and the other thing is because I'm running the Ras Pi 7" display, I have to go into the Venus OS code to flip the display and set the screen resolution, so a back version on an SD card can save me a load of balls ache if we are on the road.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
If that's your system in the video and it's giving you the option, then I don't see why not.
v3.10 was released as a stable version earlier this month, but I know that further testing has thrown up some bugs and Victron were talking of releasing v3.11 as a fix, but the bugs present in v3.10 may not affect your system.

Personally, I like to keep a copy of the last Venus OS that I have been running on an SD card just in case there is a problem with the current beta I'm using or in case the current SD card in the Pi becomes corrupted, then I can simply pop in the spare SD card and I can be up and running again in a few minutes.
As I'm viewing the Mopeka sensors on the Pi, I have to set the sensor parameters each time I install a new version of Venus OS, and the other thing is because I'm running the Ras Pi 7" display, I have to go into the Venus OS code to flip the display and set the screen resolution, so a back version on an SD card can save me a load of balls ache if we are on the road.
It stores a copy of your previous version so you can go back to it when ever you want in a few simple steps.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
On a slightly different note could anyone shed any light on this new feature victron have introduced I cant seem to find it on 3.1?

That's a new one on me Dave, would have been handy if Victon had given some detail on menu options to access this in the video. :doh:
A question on the Victron community space may give the answer.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That's a new one on me Dave, would have been handy if Victon had given some detail on menu options to access this in the video. :doh:
A question on the Victron community space may give the answer.
Just came across it yesterday but like you say very little info on it.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
For you, yes, but it drops all the display coding and Mopeka settings when I tested it as did the backup and restore option in the Package Manager.
I will let you know soon just busy updating to 3.2 but I am sure it kept the mopeka settings when I went from 3 to 3.1.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
For you, yes, but it drops all the display coding and Mopeka settings when I tested it as did the backup and restore option in the Package Manager.
Yeah you're right Paul updated to 3.2 lost mopeka settings now gone back to 3.1 official and the mopeka is showing.

Screenshot_20230926_134305_Edge.jpg

Screenshot_20230926_134319_Edge.jpg

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I can't update from 2.66 on the remote console as it says no newer version available, so I will flash another Sd card and keep the old one as back up like Paul.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019

I have been invited for the webinar when this was launched. You had to be loged into victron professional to access it and take part.
Unfortunately I missed it, didnt had the time then.
I will re visit this at some point, as I am really interested, it suposed to allow off grid with grid assist only, without installing ESS, and avoiding feed in.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I can't update from 2.66 on the remote console as it says no newer version available, so I will flash another Sd card and keep the old one as back up like Paul.
Yeah you need to do a fresh install if your version is below 2.9 I think but after that it's fine.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I have been invited for the webinar when this was launched. You had to be loged into victron professional to access it and take part.
Unfortunately I missed it, didnt had the time then.
I will re visit this at some point, as I am really interested, it suposed to allow off grid with grid assist only, without installing ESS, and avoiding feed in.
Found this write up its called sustain mode 👍🏻

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
This could work with ignore AC and a flag.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Trying to use a Raspberry pi is like going back to msdos but with even worse syntex. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back