How many Euros per day for France (1 Viewer)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
To answer your original question, if Management gets anywhere near the shops, then €Zillions. :rofl:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We try and allocate £50 a day for food or eating out, treats and visiting museums etc. We do use aires and municipal sites so keep it cheap . Diesel is bought on credit card. Obviously some days we spend more but that is offset by low cost days.
Lunchtime Plat du jour menus often keep eating out cheaper.
Have a good time and enjoy !
Ok a cup of coffeee in a lovely cafe people watching may be more than back at home but it is your holidays!!

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
We try and allocate £50 a day for food or eating out, treats and visiting museums etc. We do use aires and municipal sites so keep it cheap . Diesel is bought on credit card. Obviously some days we spend more but that is offset by low cost days.
Lunchtime Plat du jour menus often keep eating out cheaper.
Have a good time and enjoy !
Ok a cup of coffeee in a lovely cafe people watching may be more than back at home but it is your holidays!!
Worth every penny, I love people watching. And I was going to be looking out for the Plat du jour menus.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've looked at the clarity card but dont they charge interest from the day you use it until paid off or have I misunderstood? I know its fee free to use and draw money out on
Clarity is a Credit Card - use it to buy stuff & pay the bill when you get back. It uses an excellent rate of exchange & charges no fees nor commission. Pretty much the cheapest way of spending abroad.
If you use it in a cash machine to take out cash - that's known as a "Cash Advance" and, yes you'll be charged interest from the day you withdraw money.
But in my experience, even those charges are less than traditional foreign exchange options - but I have no experience of these cash cards.
One option of minimising "interest" is to pay into your credit card via electronic banking on your phone, the approximate amount in £'s you've just withdrawn from the hole in the wall.
But TBH, the interest bill for me was never enough to bother.

Just to reiterate - if you use Halifax Clarity as a credit card to pay for stuff = no fees, no commission, no interest [if you pay off the statement in full], good exchange rate (y).
If you use it to withdraw cash from an ATM, you will pay interest on the 'Cash Advance'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Sorry to go on and on about it, but with a Revolut Card and your smart phone, you can move pounds from your bank onto your card instantly, anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.

Now it wouldn't be the same with out the Revoult option ! :D

While reading I was wondering where you were ! ... I really must re visit this ... our son has just got one of those Atom Bank accounts .... different of course form the Revoult, but high tech all the same

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Clarity is a Credit Card - use it to buy stuff & pay the bill when you get back. It uses an excellent rate of exchange & charges no fees nor commission. Pretty much the cheapest way of spending abroad.
If you use it in a cash machine to take out cash - that's known as a "Cash Advance" and, yes you'll be charged interest from the day you withdraw money.
But in my experience, even those charges are less than traditional foreign exchange options - but I have no experience of these cash cards.
One option of minimising "interest" is to pay into your credit card via electronic banking on your phone, the approximate amount in £'s you've just withdrawn from the hole in the wall.
But TBH, the interest bill for me was never enough to bother.

Just to reiterate - if you use Halifax Clarity as a credit card to pay for stuff = no fees, no commission, no interest [if you pay off the statement in full], good exchange rate (y).
If you use it to withdraw cash from an ATM, you will pay interest on the 'Cash Advance'.

Thanks thats very helpful

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A friend was broken into and everything taken including passports, they had gassed them so they had no idea. I'm not sure where the aire was though
Of course......................
I'd forgotten about the risks of being gassed on Aires.....
:doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
:france:Its the eating out that will probably cost the most - it's not cheap in restaurants in France - plat de jour and menu complet are the cheapest way.

We've just spent €49.50 for staying on Aires in the last month, 9 paying ones and 19 free, and hadn't searched out free ones or paid ones but just stayed on ones we came across in an area we'd not visited before.

Fuel depends on your starting point in the UK and your destination in France - and how far you move every day or so.

We have 230 miles each way to Eurotunnel from home and this time we visited the Dordogne.

We travelled about 800 miles from home to the Dordogne, and obviously a similar distance back, but didn't move far every day - we did a total of 2,191 miles in the 28 days.

We've possibly used about 400 litres of diesel (I haven't added it all up yet), cheapest €1.18 and dearest €1.34, so not far off £450 on fuel.

We took £1000 on the CC and had enough left over to buy a barrel load of wine, beer and spirits.

Some small purchases went on the CC and the Toll tag costs will come in a months time.

Hope this helps.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you have nationwide select it covers breakdown which can cover your mh in Europe (it covers 2 vehicles including motor homes up to 7.5 tonnes)

Joe
I've checked and it's just a flex account

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you have nationwide select it covers breakdown which can cover your mh in Europe (it covers 2 vehicles including motor homes up to 7.5 tonnes)

Joe
Select is a Credit Card and it does not have those benefits, it is the Flex Plus current account that does.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Diane1969 ,
We did 19 days touring last year, 1926miles diesel £301.21
Aires & c/site total 65 euros
we used just under 2 x 6kg of gas propane
Spending money 300 euro's
we spent a total including I.o.W. ferry + Tunnel + dog £36
£880 for 19days
Similar to @suavecarve ,we don't eat out as I prefer to bbq or cook in the van, mostly look for free aires +water , Pensioners on a tight budget (don't you know)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi @Diane1969 ,
We did 19 days touring last year, 1926miles diesel £301.21
Aires & c/site total 65 euros
we used just under 2 x 6kg of gas propane
Spending money 300 euro's
we spent a total including I.o.W. ferry + Tunnel + dog £36
£880 for 19days
Similar to @suavecarve ,we don't eat out as I prefer to bbq or cook in the van, mostly look for free aires +water , Pensioners on a tight budget (don't you know)
Don't spend it,,leave it to the kids comes to mind,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL::LOL:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Don't spend it,,leave it to the kids comes to mind,,@busby
Kid (only one + his wife & 2 granddaughters) will get our small bungalow & moho (how ever old) & anything else that's left ,which won't be a lot.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'm currently in Paris and beginning to question why I have a pre-loaded card. Went to get train tickets this morning and the Navigo ticket machine would not accept either the pre-loaded card or my credit card. It did accept both of my debit cards fortunately. What are the advantages of a pre-loaded card?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I'm currently in Paris and beginning to question why I have a pre-loaded card. Went to get train tickets this morning and the Navigo ticket machine would not accept either the pre-loaded card or my credit card. It did accept both of my debit cards fortunately. What are the advantages of a pre-loaded card?

Tried one once,,same as you i manage very well with debit and credit cards,,BUSBY,,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nothing!

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Au contraire, you can load them up on days when the exchange rate is better, as we have done this week.
I'd really like to know how you determine when the exchange rate is "better". Or is it a secret?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not wealthy but at my time of life i don't think or worry about exchange rates,,cost of fuel or food,,if i need it i will have it,,bit late when you retire to start being a tight arse,,,BUSBY:D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back