How many Euros per day for France (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We went for three week last year spent abut £2000 pounds we only spent 25 euros on airs.
And went on a camp site for two nights 30 euros per night with a Poole
the rest was free airs and free parking.
We had a grate time think it worked out abut £71 pounds a day
bill

Deleted User
Au contraire, you can load them up on days when the exchange rate is better, as we have done this week.

You obviously have a greater foresight than I if you know when the exchange rate is better, ever thought of a career as a currency trader:)

It is also possible to withdraw currency on a debit card when you estimate that the exchange rate has peaked.

BTW I use the Revolut app for most of my currency transfers.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As it cost me around £200 in fuel to get to Calais and back it puts exchange rates a little more into perspective. I shall be dumping the cash card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As it cost me around £200 in fuel to get to Calais and back it puts exchange rates a little more into perspective. I shall be dumping the cash card.
When you're spending that to just get to Calais you can understand why people fly abroad and tour in the uk, based on costs not on what they enjoy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Absolutely, the odd % here and there doesn't make a tenner in a month and with clarity you always know you are getting the best deal at the time(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When you're spending that to just get to Calais you can understand why people fly abroad and tour in the uk, based on costs not on what they enjoy.
Not quite true, although we fly to Spain and Portugal the £300 to get to France is soon recouped in free Aires as opposed to £20 a night British sites.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
A friend was broken into and everything taken including passports, they had gassed them so they had no idea. I'm not sure where the aire was though
How original a third party story of a gas attack that took place on an aire in an unknown location .Do you happen to know how much and what they lost?ie 2x rolex and 2k in cash is about the norm

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I have to confess I'm sitting in my son's house in Paris having flown over for a week, air fare was a little more than the fuel but we save three days. We will be back over in June with the van for a few weeks, anyone used Huttopia at Versailles?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One thing that is nice about Revolut is you get real time exchange rate and can what the rate flicking up and down then click exchange when you get the rate you are happy with. For a few hundered Euro of holiday money doesn't make much odds but makes you feel good.
We paid the difference for the van between trade in value only 10k Euro but by monitoring the rate over a couple of weeks and exchanging on the peaks saved over about 140 quid.

Deleted User
Revolut tells you the rate and updates constantly....

It is still a matter of luck, or judgement? as to when is the best time to convert, might go up or down a few hours or the next day, some you win some you lose!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not quite true, although we fly to Spain and Portugal the £300 to get to France is soon recouped in free Aires as opposed to £20 a night British sites.
We are site dwellers so slightly different for us, but the Aires do balance it up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
£133/day !!!!! I don't spend that /month running a house.:D2
That is true, there's no need to really spend more than you do at home apart from diesel and tolls, and you are not spending it at home so really no different than staying at home(y)
Plus the fact you aren't useing electric and stuff at home, so you are quids in.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
The Nationwide Flex Plus Debit card allows cash withdrawals abroad with no commission fees and a decent exchange rate and the Nationwide Select Credit Card allows purchases abroad with no commission fees and a decent exchange rate.
Using the credit card for tolls, when we use them, is quick and easy at the automatic machines.

Deleted User
The Nationwide Flex Plus Debit card allows cash withdrawals abroad with no commission fees and a decent exchange rate and the Nationwide Select Credit Card allows purchases abroad with no commission fees and a decent exchange rate.
Using the credit card for tolls, when we use them, is quick and easy at the automatic machines.

Which isn't free, I do know that it has other benefits.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have not read all the posts.

We spend quite a lot of time in France.

Generally we find it about the same price as Poland, so a bit cheaper than UK.

We use Aires or wild camp, so if you want to use sites you have to add those fees. As for cost of water etc. on Aires that comes out of the savings on wine/beer etc.

We do not use Tolls so add those

Cost of meals out is your choice - so difficult to advise. Routiers are not expensive.

There is the cost of diesel for any of us moving around

What I am saying is that for the sort of household expenditure one has at home there is little difference - just add the extras of meals, fuel etc.

Geoff

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Revolut tells you the rate and updates constantly....
In order to determine whether the rate they're showing is "better" I'd need to know what it will be after I do the deal. All the current rate tells me is whether I'll do better than a previous, worse rate. What I'm getting at is that unless you have insider knowledge, you won't know whether doing the deal NOW is "better" than waiting.

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
How original a third party story of a gas attack that took place on an aire in an unknown location .Do you happen to know how much and what they lost?ie 2x rolex and 2k in cash is about the norm
why the attitude with me, I was asked and have already said sorry to have posted it, I didn't want this being a post about that either

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In order to determine whether the rate they're showing is "better" I'd need to know what it will be after I do the deal. All the current rate tells me is whether I'll do better than a previous, worse rate. What I'm getting at is that unless you have insider knowledge, you won't know whether doing the deal NOW is "better" than waiting.

I knew you where going to ask that as I time travel to the future quite regularly and therefore that's why I get the best rate at the time I want my money....(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
None.........if you have a debit and credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee and gives the full interbank rate.

No UK credit or debit card available from anyone anywhere gives the interbank rate.

They all, every single one of them, use the Visa or MasterCard day rate. This is always at least 2% worse than the interbank rate and given that it is updated no more every 24 hours, and not at all over the weekend, over the course of a normal day it can vary by quite a bit more because the interbank rate updates every 90 seconds.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What are the advantages of a pre-loaded card?

You can choose when to convert your pounds into Euros or whatever currency you need.

Keep an eye on the rates and exchange a decent chunk of money at the right time and you can make quite a few quid. If you don't spend it still keep an eye on the rates and convert it back at the right time and you can make even more. I've still got some Euros on my Revolut card that I bought a year or so ago when they were at 1.40 plus.

With a credit or debit card you're stuck with whatever the Visa or MasterCard day rate is on the day that the transaction is processed.

Deleted User
No UK credit or debit card available from anyone anywhere gives the interbank rate.

They all, every single one of them, use the Visa or MasterCard day rate. This is always at least 2% worse than the interbank rate and given that it is updated no more every 24 hours, and not at all over the weekend, over the course of a normal day it can vary by quite a bit more because the interbank rate updates every 90 seconds.

That's why I use Revolut.

You can choose when to convert your pounds into Euros or whatever currency you need.

Keep an eye on the rates and exchange a decent chunk of money at the right time and you can make quite a few quid. If you don't spend it still keep an eye on the rates and convert it back at the right time and you can make even more. I've still got some Euros on my Revolut card that I bought a year or so ago when they were at 1.40 plus.

With a credit or debit card you're stuck with whatever the Visa or MasterCard day rate is on the day that the transaction is processed.

And sometimes that can be better than the rate obtained previously to top up the pre loaded card.

Unless you have the gift of second sight currency speculation is a gamble, yours paid off but what are you going to do when you have used those euro's? I had a wodge of euro's from selling a caravan in Portugal a few years ago but long gone now as I mainly use euro's so take what I can get and Revolut is definitely the best way for me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And sometimes that can be better than the rate obtained previously to top up the pre loaded card.

It could in which case I would be taking advantage and buying more Euros. I'd still be getting a better rate than anyone using a credit card.

Unless you have the gift of second sight currency speculation is a gamble, yours paid off but what are you going to do when you have used those euro's?

Of course it is but as long as you have basic understanding and don't go stupid you won't lose.

When the ones I have are spent I'll just buy more. (y) The rate's been pretty stable for the last few months so I wouldn't worry a great deal, if I needed them now I'd just buy them. I keep an eye on it most days so if it spikes hopefully I'll spot it and grab some (y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
The rate's been pretty stable for the last few months so I wouldn't worry a great deal, if I needed them now I'd just buy them. (y)

OK so what is a bracket of the recent rates and which way are they headed

No I haven't looked recently last I saw 10 days ago was between 1.15 and 1.18€ per £1 depending on amount bought

AND
We will stick to our Santander Debits for Spain (no bank charge if used in a Santander machine )
and Nationwide Debit for France

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK so what is a bracket of the recent rates and which way are they headed

No I haven't looked recently last I saw 10 days ago was between 1.15 and 1.18€ per £1 depending on amount bought

That recent range is more or less right. They've not really deviated from that for months. Traditionally I'd say that's a little low so I'd say they'll climb a bit at some point. When will that be? Who can say?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That recent range is more or less right. They've not really deviated from that for months. Traditionally I'd say that's a little low so I'd say they'll climb a bit at some point. When will that be? Who can say?

Agree on that we have had up to 1.5€ in the past but not expecting anywhere near that this summer (of Discontent)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
How much you spend is only relevant to what you do. Took the family to lunch on Saturday in St Germaine en Lay, €140 for four adults, a child and a toddler, not fancy either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back