How many Euros per day for France (1 Viewer)

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
Must have a look at Revolut!
We mostly use either Santander or Nationwide credit cards. Neither make any charge for use and their exchange rate seems OK. In addition we take a few Euros in cash.
How much cash each person needs is very personal and varies from person to person and from using tolls to avoiding them: eating out or eating in: booze bills etc.
For long runs when trying to get to good weather I confess that we use tolls to get south. After that short runs is not only cheaper but better fun as well.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Just an update on Euro's per day, we are currently in France and recording every spend to see if I can consider retirement. Seven days in we are running at €92 per day, that includes 100 miles to Dover, the ferry, fuel, dog jabs, food and drink a few tolls. We have only stayed in aires, approximately half have been free, those on the west coast seem to have a cost with 8-11 € being the norm.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We went down to Portugal last year. Most of the time on free aires. Or in cheap sites. We did not eat out much. And we took quite a lot of food with us. We went for about 7 weeks and we spent About £2,300 . I think we did well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just an update on Euro's per day, we are currently in France and recording every spend to see if I can consider retirement. Seven days in we are running at €92 per day, that includes 100 miles to Dover, the ferry, fuel, dog jabs, food and drink a few tolls. We have only stayed in aires, approximately half have been free, those on the west coast seem to have a cost with 8-11 € being the norm.

Spendthrift:D

clf86ha

Free Member
Oct 4, 2012
Hartlepool, Norh East
Funster No
MH
Autcruise Starspirit
Exp
since April 2014
I can only get 2 weeks off at a time and I budget €100 per day all in, so includes channel crossing, diesel, eating out/in, sites/aires, attractions, vet bill, laundry, misc purchases etc. I generally average 2000 miles per trip and come back with money without doing without at all, so a £2000 budget is well and truly healthy.

I could stretch the same budget to a longer sustained trip and still feel relaxed and enjoy it.

Pete n Bex

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass,Avantgarde
Exp
Since 1990
We've come to France having spent 2.5 months in Spain, this will be our last visit to France its way too expensive between €11-€15 for 2 pints! We eat in all the time,as to be quite honest you get used to eating good food in Spain & can enjoy yourself without worrying how much your being ripped off & also in the supermarkets the food is much dearer so it'll be Au Revoir France!!

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Each to his own seems to be the answer! Best advice is do whatever you feel comfortable with. There are many options. We us a pretty-paid card and add Euros on through the year when exchange rate peaks. However you need to be watching the exchange rate constantly to recognise what appears to be a good deal. €1.17 was recently on offer. Last year pre Brexit €1.25 so everything is relative. We draw out the cash on holiday. For credit card transactions we use our Halifax Clarity Card. And we take cash as well. There's no hard and fast rule regarding Aires v Campsites. One saves you money, the other may offer nicer views and facilities. Your choice. You don't have to eat out all the time yet you are on holiday so it's not a crime!! Good luck with YOUR choice.

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Each to his own seems to be the answer! Best advice is do whatever you feel comfortable with. There are many options. We us a pretty-paid card and add Euros on through the year when exchange rate peaks. However you need to be watching the exchange rate constantly to recognise what appears to be a good deal. €1.17 was recently on offer. Last year pre Brexit €1.25 so everything is relative. We draw out the cash on holiday. For credit card transactions we use our Halifax Clarity Card. And we take cash as well. There's no hard and fast rule regarding Aires v Campsites. One saves you money, the other may offer nicer views and facilities. Your choice. You don't have to eat out all the time yet you are on holiday so it's not a crime!! Good luck with YOUR choice.

We decided to get £500 in cash (not a bad exchange rate at 1.16 Tesco on line plus tesco clubcard points on credit card and no charge for using tesco credit card)
Have just applied for a Creations everyday credit card (slightly lower interest than the Halifax clarity)
Am very hopeful that we wont need to spend any where near the originl £2000 mentioned, actually looking forward to seeing how much we can do the trip for.
Thanks all for the advice

Deleted User
We've come to France having spent 2.5 months in Spain, this will be our last visit to France its way too expensive between €11-€15 for 2 pints! We eat in all the time,as to be quite honest you get used to eating good food in Spain & can enjoy yourself without worrying how much your being ripped off & also in the supermarkets the food is much dearer so it'll be Au Revoir France!!

Don't ever drink beer in French bars, way too expensive for me, wine only on the rare occasions we venture into bars, watch the locals.

Good value meals can be had for €11 upwards at many restaurants especially lunchtime Formules including wine even in the expensive area that we are in.

We spend 7 months of the year in Portugal and whilst things are definitely more expensive in France not all food is and we do not spend that much more here than in Portugal.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A friend was broken into and everything taken including passports, they had gassed them so they had no idea. I'm not sure where the aire was though
Whey hey! A gassing suggestion.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We decided to get £500 in cash (not a bad exchange rate at 1.16 Tesco on line plus tesco clubcard points on credit card and no charge for using tesco credit card)
Have just applied for a Creations everyday credit card (slightly lower interest than the Halifax clarity)
Am very hopeful that we wont need to spend any where near the originl £2000 mentioned, actually looking forward to seeing how much we can do the trip for.
Thanks all for the advice
We're currently in Eastern France after crossing last week. Up to now, we've spent around €150 and that includes €38 in Aires. (think the rest is in wine/beer).

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sounds like you've got yourselves organised! Good deal at Tesco, so will check that out. You can only do your best and keep an open mind. Looks like your doing both! Happy holiday.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you can afford it just spend whatever you need to have a good time, no pockets in shrouds and all that(y)
Don't want to tarnish my miserly reputation on here , but that's exactly right , you are on holiday, just get a good credit card, ( Halifax clarity) and spend as if you are at home , you may find it isn't as much as you think (y):)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you can afford it just spend whatever you need to have a good time, no pockets in shrouds and all that(y)
So they say but knowing my luck, there will be and everyone else will have taken their cash with them.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We are back from our 16 day bimble around France, 1900 miles, ferries, Aires, sites, fuel, food and drinks and perhaps half a dozen meals out and it works out at 92€ per day. So you can enjoy a fine old time at something less than 100€ per day, however if you were on a budget didn't eat out, kept away from the popular aires that are charging up to 12€ per night you could holiday in France quite a bit cheaper.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
So they say but knowing my luck, there will be and everyone else will have taken their cash with them.
Then just borrow off them and tell them you'll pay them back with lots of interest, no problems, cos in the spirit world it's all bullshit anyway

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
yes of course we intend to have a great holiday and will spend on what we want,it's just nice to know that my original budget was ok and that we probably wont need to spend that amount

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
yes of course we intend to have a great holiday and will spend on what we want,it's just nice to know that my original budget was ok and that we probably wont need to spend that amount
Well in all fairness, your plans may possibly alter once you get into France. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that as a budget but I'm here for 6 weeks and I think after a few trips you'll change things and what you buy (and waste) your money on. So, initially I have around €1250, I also have Sterling as a back up and Halifax Clarity for fuel plus access to NBS.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Great go and have FUN. You will learn what to do, and what not to. Just as we all have. Just go for it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We are back from our 16 day bimble around France, 1900 miles, ferries, Aires, sites, fuel, food and drinks and perhaps half a dozen meals out and it works out at 92€ per day. So you can enjoy a fine old time at something less than 100€ per day, however if you were on a budget didn't eat out, kept away from the popular aires that are charging up to 12€ per night you could holiday in France quite a bit cheaper.
If I spend at that rate, it's going to be near €4,000 and I'm hoping for €1,500 max and at @Diane1969 rate, it'd be around €5,500 so we'll see how it goes and will keep you updated

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

€11 is about £9.40 so £4.70 a pint. Not at all unusual in many parts of the UK

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Far less for a bottle of wine @ €2.00 for 75 cl.

I know. I tend to drink wine abroad as well, usually find out what the locals drink and have that.

I don't really like the sort of beer you tend to find. Too cold and too fizzy for me. You can find decent ones here and there but not often.

I've done the €2 or less wine challenge in the supermarkets as well. Some of them have actually been quite good. (y)

We were sat in a pub in London the other week. There were 7 or 8 beers/lagers/Guinness on. One of them was £4.80, all the rest were over a fiver, ranging up to £5.90 I think for the dearest.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I know. I tend to drink wine abroad as well, usually find out what the locals drink and have that.

I don't really like the sort of beer you tend to find. Too cold and too fizzy for me. You can find decent ones here and there but not often.

I've done the €2 or less wine challenge in the supermarkets as well. Some of them have actually been quite good. (y)
Had this last night
DSC_0059.JPG

I've got some different ones but they were €1.99 so expecting not as good but last year had a few over €8.00 and the cheap ones taste better. Perhaps it's me being a tight wad (or maybe a sommelier) .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back