How many Euros per day for France (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning,

I'm just sorting out how much money to put on a pre paid travel card and am after some advice on how much is roughly needed per day?

We will be doing a mixture of eating out and cooking ourselves, possibly one meal out a day. More than likely staying on Acsi sites. And diesel for Van.

I'm thinking £2000 for a 15 day holiday, what do you think?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just come back from a 12 day trip and spent around £1200. Fuel - most of it, tolls - v expensive way to travel, eating out and shopping. Only spent Euro 33:00 on Aires though. The rest were free. Your figures should see you through, but hopefully your card will allow free and very easy top ups if required. Remember some cash as well.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Outch .... JJ and I usually go for at least 2 weeks away but 3 weeks more like with TWO motorhomes! We stay on sites every 2 or 3 days when filling up and dumping are a must. We're eating out frequently , at least once every 2 days but once a day more like. If not a meal out some nice treat, like a huge ice cream and believe me I like my food!.... We spent around 1000 euros MAXIMUM for us 2 diesel gas .... all included (Am I right @JJ ?)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We stick the fuel on the card and that was £320 for 3 weeks.
£500 in cash into euros was all we required for 3 weeks for 2 of us, and this included everything else from aires (which are free) to water (which is free if you look around) to LPG to food to beer and wine to visits to historic sites. We dont go for meals out as a salad and slab of meat sort us out. We dont use campsites or tolls

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
T
Morning,

I'm just sorting out how much money to put on a pre paid travel card and am after some advice on how much is roughly needed per day?

We will be doing a mixture of eating out and cooking ourselves, possibly one meal out a day. More than likely staying on Acsi sites. And diesel for Van.

That would last us a month in Spain,,BUSBY:D:D

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just come back from a 12 day trip and spent around £1200. Fuel - most of it, tolls - v expensive way to travel, eating out and shopping. Only spent Euro 33:00 on Aires though. The rest were free. Your figures should see you through, but hopefully your card will allow free and very easy top ups if required. Remember some cash as well.(y)
we might still use some Aires,just been hearing some bad things about them so will decide if we see a nice one.
we are planning on avoiding Toll roads and only use if absolutly neccesary. was thinking £500 cash and the rest on a pre paid card

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Outch .... JJ and I usually go for at least 2 weeks away but 3 weeks more like with TWO motorhomes! We stay on sites every 2 or 3 days when filling up and dumping are a must. We're eating out frequently , at least once every 2 days but once a day more like. If not a meal out some nice treat, like a huge ice cream and believe me I like my food!.... We spent around 1000 euros MAXIMUM for us 2 diesel gas .... all included (Am I right @JJ ?)
would be great if we could spend less than £2000, but dont want to leave ourselves short.

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
£500 in cash into euros was all we required for 3 weeks for 2 of us, and this included everything else from aires (which are free) to water (which is free if you look around) to LPG to food to beer and wine to visits to historic sites. We dont go for meals out as a salad and slab of meat sort us out. We dont use campsites or tolls
wow thats a fantastic price for a holiday, we do like to eat out though so dont think we could manage that

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
can i ask how far you went for £320?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Morning,

Personly I would put a grand on it and get a Halifax clarity credit card as backup, which is what we used to do but now kicked the prepaid into touch and only use the clarity, don't have to worry how much to put on it , get a month to pay it off, no money standing idle(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
wow thats a fantastic price for a holiday, we do like to eat out though so dont think we could manage that
I should have added that this included a few nights out in bars where (if youre lucky) you can pay as little as 4 euros for half a litre of wine in a bar, I would think then average we pay is 6-8 euros and the wine is reasonable. We buy cones for the ice cream and make them ourselves. And we just cook instead of (in our opinion) have someone cook it for you which is going to come to 50 euros for 2 of you per night.

For those of you wondering I do treat my wife. I just havent taken her out for a meal since the 80s!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
we might still use some Aires,just been hearing some bad things about them so will decide if we see a nice one.
we are planning on avoiding Toll roads and only use if absolutly neccesary. was thinking £500 cash and the rest on a pre paid card

When I first lived in Framce I confused the motorway Aires ( rest areas, usually with a toilet block and sometimes a couple of picnic tables) with Aires de Camping Cars in villages, next to rivers, lakes, overlooking the sea etc..
While I wouldn't want to linger in a motorway Aire ( mainly because I always thought the ground had a strong smell of urine) rural Aires, small town and village Aires are wonderful, never had a bad one. Usual security measures you'd take anywhere, even at home and you'll see some great places.
A preloaded card is safer than cash but split cash up in your van and hide in different laces, or a safe if you have one. €2000 will be more than enough for a really nice holiday.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
can i ask how far you went for £320?
vendee region from Calais. We got as far down as Royan via Rennes and averaged 26 mpg in a 2 litre diesel carrying a scooter

The scooter did 350 miles and cost me about £20 for that i should think.
LPG was more expensive this time owing to new van but i would reckon about £30 tops for the 3 weeks
Electric via solar and double battery.
We also ate Ostrich, pigeon, bambi, oysters, mussels, tuna, local honey (I have to say Ostrich is a lovely meat) and only paid for 2 aires total cost of 14 euros and we went into Bayeux tapestry and war museum (weather was good though so that helped)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry to go on and on about it, but with a Revolut Card and your smart phone, you can move pounds from your bank onto your card instantly, anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.

You wouldn't need to preload your card in Blighty at the the rate on the day when you did so.

Then, if you see the pound is strong at any particular moment, you can change some into Euros (or US dollars) there and then, at the interbank rate at that exact moment, if you want. (Or vice versa of course.)

Anyone who travels around should really check out Revolut.

https://revolut.com

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What bad things are you hearing? We only ever use aires and very little pus us off. Some aren't as good as others, but if you find yourself arriving at one you aren't keen on, another will be not too far away. We rarely pay for Aires and use Camperstop Europe and All the Aires books to chose our stops.
Avoiding toll roads is a good idea, apart from the cost saving, you see more of the country and can come across towns and villages that are well worth a visit. Of course, your journeys may be a bit longer, but, in my opinion, well worth it, unless you are time limited and you need to get to your destination quickly. We travel from Calais to mid Brittany regularly (400 miles each way), by not using toll roads, our journey time increases by an hour or so.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We average about £250 a week all in including fuel & ferries, eat out once or twice a week, rarely use sites, don't do toll roads. Don't spend much cash in France a couple of hundred Euro will last a few weeks put nearly everything on a NW CC, other countries require more cash.
Obviously 15 days would cost more per week as ferries & fuel would probably not be much different in total to a 6-8 week trip.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was always against pre paid cards don't like someone else having my money but as @JJ says the Revolut Card is a different beast & I'm fully converted.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am on "holiday" right now.

The only extra expense I incur is the diesel I use and the cost of the bacon and English sausages I buy at the Supermarket of Shame near Albufeira.

Oh, excuse me... forgive me... I have just splashed out €15 for four nights at Filipe and Rui's "campsite" in Silves. I am visiting friends there.

JJ :cool:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What bank accounts do you have as metro bank debit card is free to use and nationwide select ,metro bank,saga, Halifax clarity all have no extra charge credit cards to use in France

Joe

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Personly I would put a grand on it and get a Halifax clarity credit card as backup, which is what we used to do but now kicked the prepaid into touch and only use the clarity, don't have to worry how much to put on it , get a month to pay it off, no money standing idle(y)
I've looked at the clarity card but dont they charge interest from the day you use it until paid off or have I misunderstood? I know its fee free to use and draw money out on

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
What bank accounts do you have as metro bank debit card is free to use and nationwide select ,metro bank,saga, Halifax clarity all have no extra charge credit cards to use in France

Joe
my husband has Nationwide but not sure which one. hopefully it's select

OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
What bad things are you hearing? We only ever use aires and very little pus us off. Some aren't as good as others, but if you find yourself arriving at one you aren't keen on, another will be not too far away. We rarely pay for Aires and use Camperstop Europe and All the Aires books to chose our stops.
Avoiding toll roads is a good idea, apart from the cost saving, you see more of the country and can come across towns and villages that are well worth a visit. Of course, your journeys may be a bit longer, but, in my opinion, well worth it, unless you are time limited and you need to get to your destination quickly. We travel from Calais to mid Brittany regularly (400 miles each way), by not using toll roads, our journey time increases by an hour or so.

A friend was broken into and everything taken including passports, they had gassed them so they had no idea. I'm not sure where the aire was though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back