Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I fell foul of the peg police earlier this year. We were packing up to leave when the gestapo came along and gave me a 15 minute lecture as to why I was the wrong side of the peg, I had reversed onto the pitch with the peg by the nearside corner of the MH. That was wrong! Had I had a caravan and reversed so that the peg was by the offside of the Caravan that would have been OK. Then I could have put the car alongside the caravan, with the effect that the peg would have been near the nearside of the car - in the same position as my MH was with relation to the peg. So van or car, what's the difference? still a 3 metre gap or whatever it is supposed to be.

I looked through all the printed matter I have from the CC and nowhere does it say where to park in relation to the peg. "My wife told you when you booked in" said gestapo man - well she didn't.

Have to admit that the site was nice and clean, as were the facilities.

Dave
Strange that as every clubsite handout that is given to you on arrival usually has a picture,of how,you are required to park on your pitch and all other information about the site .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've used both Clubs sites on and off for the last 40 years or so first as tugalonger then as MHer. I've met the odd Jobsworth Warden but they only stick in the mind because they were very much the exception. I can't see any issue with the peg system - it maintains the recommended spacing & you can choose whether to drive in or reverse in. No pegs would only work if everyone employed some common sense .....................

I do agree about toilet cleaning though - it would be better done mid-afternoon.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
... I have driven over a peg in the past.. reversed a trailer wheel onto it..
Anyone been to Teversal C&CC site.. immaculate with possibly the best toilet and shower facilities and awesome dog walking (another of our requirements)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree , i use many club and private sites with no issues. .I reckon @Jim started this contentious thread because hits were low on forum and his bank balance was suffering .lol.

:LOL: sorry did i miss something then, I was in the counting house.. ;) We've already had 53,000 page views on the forum today along with and 1035 new posts so this little thread in inconsequential really.:) I'm sure the vast majority of CC users are satisfied customers or they would not be so successful. That doesn't make my observations any less valid, just in a tiny minority :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
:LOL: sorry did i miss something then, I was in the counting house.. ;) We've already had 53,000 page views on the forum today along with and 1035 new posts so this little thread in inconsequential really.:) I'm sure the vast majority of CC users are satisfied customers or they would not be so successful. That doesn't make my observations any less valid, just in a tiny minority :)
Oh,oh! I could be on the naughty step very soon .haha

Reactions: Jim

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
... I have driven over a peg in the past.. reversed a trailer wheel onto it..
Anyone been to Teversal C&CC site.. immaculate with possibly the best toilet and shower facilities and awesome dog walking (another of our requirements)
Brilliant site and unbelievable loos ..

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Personally I've never had a problem with the peg and like to follow the rules as it's less hassle than not, it would be mayhem without them as this thread proves really.

Watched a Tugger trying to reverse onto the peg earlier this year and it was just hilarious! He pulled in and out at least 24times and I'm not kidding at one time he was actually facing the wrong way on the one way system,the Warden got involved as it was the first pitch going into the site and on a Bank Holiday Friday and it was really busy and a backlog occurred, in the end even the Warden gave up and it finished up being parked as though abandoned.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Strange that as every clubsite handout that is given to you on arrival usually has a picture,of how,you are required to park on your pitch and all other information about the site .

I didn't receive any handouts, just told which number site to use.

Dave

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Strange that as every clubsite handout that is given to you on arrival

I was given one of those. I still have it. The warden had drawn 6 circles on it The first circle showed where we were. Another 4 circles showed vacant pitches. The last circle was around a little diagram about how I was to park, just in case this was not enough, he went on to explain the picture. :)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Which site,was that Dave..???

I think it is called Richmond Hargill, it is on the A66.

If I did wrong on there, and bearing in mind that we were about to leave, the warden could have briefly said what I had done wrong rather than a 15 minute lecture. I won't be going to his site again!

Dave

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I got band many years ago best thing that ever hapenf do I miss the cc you bet I don't
Willdbill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We're in wales might go check out the funster cl it will be at last fifteen years since I have Ben on one that's if @Jim site is open
Bill

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was given one of those. I still have it. The warden had drawn 6 circles on it The first circle showed where we were. Another 4 circles showed vacant pitches. The last circle was around a little diagram about how I was to park, just in case this was not enough, he went on to explain the picture. :)
So you shouldn't have had any problem then Jim ,great efficiency on behalf of that much maligned club ..haha

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think it is called Richmond Hargill, it is on the A66.

If I did wrong on there, and bearing in mind that we were about to leave, the warden could have briefly said what I had done wrong rather than a 15 minute lecture. I won't be going to his site again!

Dave
That's interesting as I shall be going there next year as part of my northern tour..stopped at the c&cc site at Barnard castle this year . Very good with some lovely walks ,if that's your thing ..

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
My mental picture of 'Norman' is a skinny guy, with a pullover on (CC issue of course), trousers at half mast, and the obligatory 'know it all' combination of a white beard, glasses and a baseball cap.

Craig
Oi ! you've just described me,
old-man-mooning.gif
(apart from the half mast trousers):rofl:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have just had this on a temporary holiday site we have just arrived on, :rolleyes: he says if you park this side of the road you face the road if your on the other side of the road you face the road with the peg in the middle of your motorhome. o_O
We say our doors on the other side, that does not matter. :eek: Well it does if they smoke, have a cat or a dog that does not like our dog. :whistle:
So we fill with water and he said I see you have a awning on your motorhome Park with the peg on the drivers side. :rolleyes: :mad:
Yes still door to door but pi$$ing with rain so no problem today. :LOL:

Never had this problem with the last THS ;) because a funster is running it @CherryPirate nice to meet you. (y) Bob and Janie.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Speaking as I find, ccc sites have in the main been warmer at reception and less regimented about parking. Most have seen some facility improvements in recent years. But the more relaxed management can lead to some being slow or even not bothering to keep rowdier campers in check.

But then if you like being told, what, when where, how and well regimented then cc sites are just fine.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have just had this on a temporary holiday site we have just arrived on, :rolleyes: he says if you park this side of the road you face the road if your on the other side of the road you face the road with the peg in the middle of your motorhome. o_O
We say our doors on the other side, that does not matter. :eek: Well it does if they smoke, have a cat or a dog that does not like our dog. :whistle:
So we fill with water and he said I see you have a awning on your motorhome Park with the peg on the drivers side. :rolleyes: :mad:
Yes still door to door but pi$$ing with rain so no problem today. :LOL:

Never had this problem with the last THS ;) because a funster is running it @CherryPirate nice to meet you. (y) Bob and Janie.

What is their infatuation with neat rows of vans at the expense of the owners enjoyment. Just turn it round and enjoy watching 'Norman' go apoplectic :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Cc sites I think are just missing the barbed wire.
Lookout tower and work makes you free over the gate

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I met Norman on my last stay on site, he was on toilet inspection that day :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
We'll be staying on a small CC site in October simply because it is within staggering distance of a wedding venue . I'm worried about this peg thing. Do I need to take my own peg? Is there a regulation peg size, girth etc? What if I run over the peg? Is there a peg-resistance movement and how do I join? (n)

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
What winds me up is the modern toilet blocks with acres of space in the entrances and around the was basins but the showers and the dressing areas are still tiny .Im sure that the people who design these toilet blocks have never used them.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Try te
What winds me up is the modern toilet blocks with acres of space in the entrances and around the was basins but the showers and the dressing areas are still tiny .Im sure that the people who design these toilet blocks have never used them.
Teversal ,super loos and so well thought out .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Have to say our experience of Caravan Club sites is excellent, we have never found the toilet block not to be clean, showers are a good size, water alway hot, you can`t blame the wardens for a blocked drainage channel it`s the careless buggers that use them.

You can park either way round it`s not a club rule to reverse onto a pitch, the marker peg is there to keep the required distance between units, you just know that some selfish idiot will park his unit as close to the side of the pitch as he can so he can then put the awning out, then surround the pitch with wind breakers, someone mentioned Lychett Manor, we`ve seen all those little domain builders down at the bottom of the site, the guy cutting the grass had to ask them to take down the wind breaks so he could cut the grass, some had them right up to the next pitch.

We recently arrived at Exeter racecourse, the site there is split between two areas, the main site was full and the alternative pitches don`t have a toilet block which is quite a distance from the main site.
The warden said your only here for one night and we don`t have a booking for the disabled pitch which is close to the Loos you can have that if you want.

Yes the wardens had a terrible reputation for being little hitlers but that is definitely changing.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I usually just say, well OK but I will have to put the Toad on the grass then?, As my awning will be on the side facing "next door".!. UK supplied and fitted with a RH hab door!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back