Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I usually just say, well OK but I will have to put the Toad on the grass then?, As my awning will be on the side facing "next door".!. UK supplied and fitted with a RH hab door!!.

Pete
Nothing in their rules stooping you from going onto pitch nose first.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What is their infatuation with neat rows of vans at the expense of the owners enjoyment. Just turn it round and enjoy watching 'Norman' go apoplectic :)

If we turn round we will be door to door with another Rapido. :doh::rofl: Bob.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have stayed on CC and C&CC sites for best part of 40 years, as well as others of course. I can't remember any occasions that have been bad. Yes, sometimes the regimented pitching can be annoying and yes the club loos can look the same but so what, they are clean and functional. Perhaps I don't have a negative attitude about using the club sites so I don't look for things to moan about. My opinion of course.......:think:

Well I have to say you are fortunate, like you we have been paid up members of CCC & CC, I can't say I'm known for having a negative attitude, but two years ago we were travelling Scotland pulled up at quite a remote CC site and asked if there was any room, we were told no there was not, no problem we said politely , we are CC. Members and have been for many years I wonder if we could top up a couple of containers of water, as we are in a remote part of Scotland and not sure where we would camp. No they said sorry you can't have any water, we are willing to pay for it, again no sorry we can't let you have water. With this kind of attitude to members sorry I won't be singing there praises any time soon, just a different opinion of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Well I have to say you are fortunate, like you we have been paid up members of CCC & CC, I can't say I'm known for having a negative attitude, but two years ago we were travelling Scotland pulled up at quite a remote CC site and asked if there was any room, we were told no there was not, no problem we said politely , we are CC. Members and have been for many years I wonder if we could top up a couple of containers of water, as we are in a remote part of Scotland and not sure where we would camp. No they said sorry you can't have any water, we are willing to pay for it, again no sorry we can't let you have water. With this kind of attitude to members sorry I won't be singing there praises any time soon, just a different opinion of course.

Hope you emailed the CEO about that . ..

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Hope you emailed the CEO about that . ..

In deed we did being Fully paid up members of CC we did not think it an unreasonable request, telephone calls and e mails were exchanged at a high level, but in the end they maintained that if you were not actually staying on a CC site you would. Not be allowed to have water, unlike CCC who have a policy for a certain payment you can top up with water empty waste, use the showers and washing machines.
You can guess which membership we cancelled and which we have stayed with.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
T

In deed we did being Fully paid up members of CC we did not think it an unreasonable request, telephone calls and e mails were exchanged at a high level, but in the end they maintained that if you were not actually staying on a CC site you would. Not be allowed to have water, unlike CCC who have a policy for a certain payment you can top up with water empty waste, use the showers and washing machines.
You can guess which membership we cancelled and which we have stayed with.
Thats a really bad way to look after members bo matter if long standing or just joined I don't blame you for not renewing membership. I do think though the C&CC are much more amenable. On several occasions last year I turned up at their sites unannounced and had no problem getting a space overnight ,I think they have always got the odd spot available in case someone turns up out of the blue .Unlike the CC club who are not so accommodating.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was told tail first so that we could drive away quicker if there was an emergency.
Pure fantasy.
Like quicker than hooking a car up and winding all the jacks up :LOL:
Stowing all the tugger parafinalia a good half hour :eek:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
X

Should have got on the phone to the cc office explained what hapend then handed the phone to them for them to be educated
Bill

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was told tail first so that we could drive away quicker if there was an emergency.

You're right. Always good practice to not "Nosey-Park" when wild camping/parking. Though on a site it's probably not quite as important. (y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
X

Should have got on the phone to the cc office explained what hapend then handed the phone to them for them to be educated
Bill

Bill you know me, we did that and a lot more, also told them I was a member of a couple of motorhome forums, this was told to them on the phone and by email to there head of customer service, made no difference still the Caravan Club Policy, no water even if you have none, can't get any, no water. Have to say when we went to Morocco we were never denied water,makes you wonder.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
That's,ridiculous as it doesn't matter which way your facing. In an emergency on a regulated campsite a motorhome can be driven off far,far quicker than any caravan combination ,and further to that argument there,is no rule that' says a car has to face outwards in case of an emergency ..sorry I don't buy that argument at all..Roy

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Carol, I think you should write a letter for the CC magazine telling your story about the water. As a member I am shocked by their refusal and am certainly considering changing to Cand CC. I think most CC members would also be surprised and shocked.
I doubt if they would print it though.....
Last year on the Cambridge CC site, there were 3 pitches available when we arrived in the rain. I will take that one I said, indicating one at random (only for one night). Oh no, you cannot do that was the response, you must walk to the pitch and check the route and your access first. Well, we only had a little VWT4 conversion so knew that there would be no access problems and we could see layout from the map. However we were not allowed to book in until we had made that walk around in the rain.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've never been made to walk around I always drive and on big sites have often driven around twice.
In fact my first port of call is the "motor caravan" service point.
Every warden without fail has asked one of us to return to the office to say which pitch we parked on.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Drive away quicker, how does that work, unplug EHU, take awning down, wind up steadies, etc etc.

Reversing in is not a club rule at all.

We were once told by a rather over anxious warden to reverse in, I said no thanks we`ll drive in, he said it was a club rule, I said oh please show me in the rule book were is says so.

He then said well as it`s his site it was his own personal rule, I pointed out it wasn`t his site but it was actually mine, he just worked for the people I and many others paid our contributions to.

He went on to say that he preferred reversing in so that if a caravan went on fire he could hook it up to his tractor and tow it safety.

I asked him with a huge grin on my face Are you insane, who in their right mind is going to hook a tractor up to a blazing caravan and then tow it through a campsite full of children playing, pedestrians and non burning units.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We've not been on a club site for many, many years, but this month situations have seen to it that we've stopped on a couple. I remember that on Caravan Club sites you always got what you expected and were never surprised. With rare exception you got a mostly luke-warm reception, good wide and level pitches, robust electrics and if you'd been in one toilet block you'd been in them all. The always tidy sites made more so by the insistence on precisely how you park on your pitch with the dreaded peg designed to keep caravan, awning and car in their proper place.

So has anything changed in 25 years? Not a lot. The reception we found more clinically professional than welcoming. Pitches are still great, grass perfect and as well kept as any open golf green. Apart from that stupid peg that if I put my right rear side to, means that most of the useable pitch is on the dead side of the van. :rolleyes:

Lady Warden "Oh' you've ignored the peg"
Me "you can move the peg if you like, but the van is settled now and isn't moving, it is in the middle of my pitch!
Lady Warden "That's OK I just hope Norman doesn't spot you"

The toilet blocks the same one as in the early nineties? It seems so. Just when you need to use them on a lazy Sunday morning they are closed for cleaning, So you wait. Once in, at the back of your shower is a gutter where the dirty water from fellow showering campers comes into your cubicle in a grey foaming torrent, you watch in horror as a blockage further down the line sees their water lapping into your shower tray. When drying yourself off, with next doors shower water splashing off their floor, and onto your feet, you make a mental note to choose the uphill shower tomorrow and at about 4am.

One thing has changed The prices. One site £26 the other over £30. I think we'll be leaving it another quarter century. :)

So does that mean your a cc member on the off chance you may use one,
or can non members use cc campsites?
We have never joined cc so would be interested to know!(y)

Likewise with CL sites,do you have to be a member to use them?

Deleted User
So does that mean your a cc member on the off chance you may use one,
or can non members use cc campsites?
We have never joined cc so would be interested to know!(y)

Likewise with CL sites,do you have to be a member to use them?

Some CC sites accept non members but at a higher rate, some don't.

In theory you have to be a member of the relevant club to use a CS or CL

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We have an LHD MH so do I drive or reverse onto the patch? Would it help or hinder if I pretended to be French?

I can see this could liven up our stay in a foreign country. :devil:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Some CC sites accept non members but at a higher rate, some don't.

In theory you have to be a member of the relevant club to use a CS or CL

Thanks for the answer,so its a case of ringing ahead first to ask.
At least I know now,as we mainly use the Motorhome in France
we have never used cc or cl campsites!(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi @Riverbankannie, I did think about it but the CC head office were so adamant that it's their policy and they are sticking with it, I like you thought it was not worth writing a letter, but I have let my view's know when a thread comes on about the Caravan Club.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
We have just had this on a temporary holiday site we have just arrived on, :rolleyes: he says if you park this side of the road you face the road if your on the other side of the road you face the road with the peg in the middle of your motorhome. o_O
We say our doors on the other side, that does not matter. :eek: Well it does if they smoke, have a cat or a dog that does not like our dog. :whistle:
So we fill with water and he said I see you have a awning on your motorhome Park with the peg on the drivers side. :rolleyes: :mad:
Yes still door to door but pi$$ing with rain so no problem today. :LOL:

Never had this problem with the last THS ;) because a funster is running it @CherryPirate nice to meet you. (y) Bob and Janie.

It was good to chat and talk about experiences and people we both know.... mentioning no names. Maybe see you again either before we close the THS at Ballard School, New Milton or next year or on our travels.

Thanks again

Colin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's what I do :rofl: (y) :rofl:
Believe me those wardens know exactly where that peg lives. It is only removable to facilitate grass cutting but there is a more permanent flush marker in the ground. You will be flogged and mentioned in despatches to the ivory tower

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Believe me those wardens know exactly where that peg lives. It is only removable to facilitate grass cutting but there is a more permanent flush marker in the ground. You will be flogged and mentioned in despatches to the ivory tower
Flogged:Eeek: can't wait :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back