Caravan Club Sites

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We've not been on a club site for many, many years, but this month situations have seen to it that we've stopped on a couple. I remember that on Caravan Club sites you always got what you expected and were never surprised. With rare exception you got a mostly luke-warm reception, good wide and level pitches, robust electrics and if you'd been in one toilet block you'd been in them all. The always tidy sites made more so by the insistence on precisely how you park on your pitch with the dreaded peg designed to keep caravan, awning and car in their proper place.

So has anything changed in 25 years? Not a lot. The reception we found more clinically professional than welcoming. Pitches are still great, grass perfect and as well kept as any open golf green. Apart from that stupid peg that if I put my right rear side to, means that most of the useable pitch is on the dead side of the van. :rolleyes:

Lady Warden "Oh' you've ignored the peg"
    Me "you can move the peg if you like, but the van is settled now and isn't moving, it is in the middle of my pitch!
    Lady Warden "That's OK I just hope Norman doesn't spot you"

The toilet blocks the same one as in the early nineties? It seems so. Just when you need to use them on a lazy Sunday morning they are closed for cleaning, So you wait. Once in, at the back of your shower is a gutter where the dirty water from fellow showering campers comes into your cubicle in a grey foaming torrent, you watch in horror as a blockage further down the line sees their water lapping into your shower tray. When drying yourself off, with next doors shower water splashing off their floor, and onto your feet, you make a mental note to choose the uphill shower tomorrow and at about 4am.

One thing has changed The prices. One site £26 the other over £30. I think we'll be leaving it another quarter century. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 28
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Echoes my feelings of CC exactly:)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

That's why we rarely use them and stick to CL sites, we have stayed on a few CLs over the last few weeks in the Lakes ranging from £6 - £15 and all relaxed and in stunning locations. We thought about booking into Coniston park CC site this weekend and it was nearly £30 a night so will forget that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Confuses some of them when I ask which way they want me to park with an offside Hab door lol
    As a single person, I have paid as little as £9 a night with full clean facilities, and safe.
    And some wardens are very chatty :)
    And some sites are in great locations like York.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You can park either way around. The term reverse to the peg is generic stemming from caravans.
    The only reason I reverse in is because Jacs won't sleep with her head next to the road.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I believe that is so, as long as 'Norman' doesn't see you :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Last week in northern Italy I paid €26 for a small pitch for tent and bike. Though it did have indoor poor, sauna etc. It's about the third time I've been there, before in MH of course. Just a lovely place to stop. And for added bit of FUN they speak only German in the area.

http://www.saegemuehle.it/it/camping/camping/pagina-iniziale/

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes they like to play pass the buck.

9. boroboy

boroboy Funster

Norman must be a man to be obeyed, I have a mental picture of Norman looking like the Hulk

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Only stayed on them 3 or 4 times, bad experience every time no longer a member. Last time I cut some lovely furrows in their grass getting off a soggy pitch where they should never have put a Motorhome.

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I had him down as more of a

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Clarky

Clarky Funster

We have to travel down to Sussex for a family birthday BBQ in a couple of weeks time so have booked a pitch for 3 nights at the CC Fairlight site.
    £82.20 for the van and two adults.
    We earlier spent a month in France using aires and I estimate the total cost for the month, including many nights beside the Med, was about the same at €93.
    Is it any wonder we all go off to France as often as we can.

Richard.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    It's not just the CC sites tho is it ? We went to Lychett Manor 2 weeks ago for 2 nights, 3 days. The same regimented theme ran through that site too. Grass manicured. We have to reverse in next to the peg. Showers are limited to 1m 37.6sec and then they turn themselves off immediately as you are just getting all lathered up :rolleyes:

We too prefer the tranquility and the less fussy rules of some of the CL sites. They seem more friendly, are able to offer the services most CC or normal Campsites offer.. I think we'll just continue in this vein in the future..

14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

We
    were you tempted to say, " bugger Norman"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Who me? Never :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Just spent two nights at the Edinburgh site. Totally agree the the OP comments. Especially about the shower plus the fixed shower and me being 6ft 8 tall meant I nearly had to bend double to wet my hair.
    Reception was as close to rude as you can be without actually being rude. Pitches where ok but I fell foul of the peg and when I also refused to move (been in place for 2 hours!) I thought I was going to arrested!

Now at the Falkirk Wheel - lovely showers, toilets and not a peg in sight

Richard

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

My mental picture of 'Norman' is a skinny guy, with a pullover on (CC issue of course), trousers at half mast, and the obligatory 'know it all' combination of a white beard, glasses and a baseball cap.

Craig

18. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

This year so far I've been to about 14 different cc sites and I've just pulled in or reversed for the best view and once or twice gone on side ways and have never had anyone say anything to me.....:eek:

And I always thought I was approachable .....:confused:

(y)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe

Can't even get a price online for a 2 night stop, won't be getting my business.

20. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    We are booked on the C&CC site at Normans Bay beginning of September,2 nights Fri/Sat, £38.80 with oldies discount. I consider that a fair price for the facilities available

A private site in South Shields wanted almost that for one night and that was about 6 years ago.

We have stopped on this site before a few years ago with the 5'er, don't remember any pegs and the wardens were friendly and helpful.

• Informative Informative x 1