Zenec ZE3726 (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2011
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 708
Exp
Since 2011
Hi just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with sat nav system. Travelling yesterday and satellite navigation system began to malfunction....it began bleeping and it looked as though someone was pressing the screen as it was just jumping from one section to another and we couldn’t reset the sat nav. We turned it off and after a while it seemed to cool down and was working perfectly. Journey back home....initially absolutely fine and after about 70 miles started to do exactly the same thing. Does anyone know what the problem could be and has anyone experienced something similar. The system is built into our motorhome.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As you are probably aware the Zenec systems that are on most modern Hymers are not very good, there are many better systems out there that cost half the price.

That said, the things I'd try are:

Switch it off.
As in switch it off at the mains, pull the fuse that powers it, and if you don't know which one that is, just pull mains fuses on the EBL.
You will need to put in the code to restart it, which for a Zenec is 1111 or 0000 (unless you have changed it)

Update the software
To do this, if you have not done it before involves setting up an account, paying £70, and then removing a chip in the facia of the unit and putting it in your laptop connected to wifi (Why in this day an age they could not do an update via bluetooth defeats me)
The advantage of a software update is you will also get a map update which is much better than the factory default one.

Ask on HOGS
Very useful Hymer Owner Group on facebook for all things technically Hymer related.

.... and before you look, no, Zenec do not have any dealers in the UK, the only UK outlet is in Skipton, so not that far from you (when compared to the rest of us) www.skiptoncarradio.com/

OP
OP
misterc
Aug 26, 2011
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 708
Exp
Since 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate your advice which we will take and get in touch with the outlet at Skipton most definitely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had one in our Hymer it never worked from new so was removed and sent back through Lowdhams took about 6months to return then worked fine, but as said not the best given the choice there are better units on the market much cheaper.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We had one in our Hymer it never worked from new so was removed and sent back through Lowdhams took about 6months to return then worked fine, but as said not the best given the choice there are better units on the market much cheaper.

Our 2018 Lowdhams supplied Hymer came with a Zenec unit, I could not believe how bad it was.
Even my 12 year old stick on the glass TomTom unit was better and faster (and substantially cheaper)

I found out the last software update on my Zenec unit was in 2015, despite the unit being installed in a 2018 vehicle!
I ended up rebooting it, which cured some of the issues and I then paid the £70 to update it, which has improved it considerably.

7 years of updates took quite a while to run, it's embarrassing that Hymer/Mercedes/Lowdhams are providing a critical item that is so out of date.
Imagine PC World were trying to sell HP Laptops with Windows XP loaded ! (Pay for the update after you have bought it!)

Bottom line is however, if the Zenec is knackered, then replace it with something else, I believe the Panasonic unit fits in the slot and is twice as good for half the price.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Our 2018 Lowdhams supplied Hymer came with a Zenec unit, I could not believe how bad it was.
Even my 12 year old stick on the glass TomTom unit was better and faster (and substantially cheaper)

I found out the last software update on my Zenec unit was in 2015, despite the unit being installed in a 2018 vehicle!
I ended up rebooting it, which cured some of the issues and I then paid the £70 to update it, which has improved it considerably.

7 years of updates took quite a while to run, it's embarrassing that Hymer/Mercedes/Lowdhams are providing a critical item that is so out of date.
Imagine PC World were trying to sell HP Laptops with Windows XP loaded ! (Pay for the update after you have bought it!)

Bottom line is however, if the Zenec is knackered, then replace it with something else, I believe the Panasonic unit fits in the slot and is twice as good for half the price.
When we collected our B898sl Hymer from them in 2017 on hand over the guy said we can not get the sat nav to work maybe you will have more luck! As you get one free update we tried but the unit was faulty from new it took almost 2 years to get it sorted 🤬🤬 in the end we emailed Hymer direct very poor service.☹️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
misterc
Aug 26, 2011
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 708
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you for all of your responses and advice which we will take on board. We bought our new Hymer in 2018 with this system installed and have not used it very much at all which is the sad thing about this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back