Zenec head unit. Poor screen. (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I like the sound on the new van. Although short of bass, it's the first mh we've been able to enjoy music travelling at speed. But the screen quality is atrocious. Too dim and indistinct to be of much use. I've tried the brightness at max (+10) but to no avail. Neither the sat nav nor any of the three cameras gives a bright or clear picture. I can see there is a car behind but no detail. We've just driven up the A1 with my wife having to read out the sat nav for me as I can't make out stuff like 1 mile to turnoff. Any body else find this?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our Zenec is in a 2014 van so probably a bit dated but I prefer my stand alone Sat Nav. to the Zenec version.

I can't stand the fact that the volume control resets to zero every time you turn it off.

Our screen is quite visible but on the return from a trip last week I went to plug in my iPhone for my own music as the radio reception is so poor and the whole unit just completely froze with a blank screen. It would not turn off. When I got home I had to look up the fuse number and remove it for a while and then it switched on normally again once it had shut down and restarted again.

On the list of something to replace in the future when I find an audio dealer I can trust to help select something good and knows how to instal it!

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Yes, my Garmin sat nav has a great screen but the Zenec is also there to view the reversing, rear view and waste water cameras.
If I look dead centre at the screen it's ok but as soon as you increase the viewing angle it goes quite poor. Of course you cant drive sitting in the centre of the cab.
Tried lots of settings but can't seem to resolve. Just hoping someone can point to either a setting I've missed or let me know they're all bad so I can stop wasting time trying to improve it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I can't stand the fact that the volume control resets to zero every time you turn it off.
There is setting for that on my Zenec - you can set it to a volume number - I think mine is on 6.
I like the sound on the new van. Although short of bass, it's the first mh we've been able to enjoy music travelling at speed. But the screen quality is atrocious. Too dim and indistinct to be of much use. I've tried the brightness at max (+10) but to no avail. Neither the sat nav nor any of the three cameras gives a bright or clear picture. I can see there is a car behind but no detail.
The best value I found was to replace the front speakers and add an amplified bass speaker - that improved the sound massively. As for screen quality I purchased a really good iPhone holder and angled it towards me so it can unlock using facial recognition. That way I can ask Siri to set routes using Google Maps and see what is on the screen. Doesn't help with the rear camera quality thou!

Amazon product ASIN B08DJ9M1HB

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
There is a setting on my Z-E4626 that allows you to switch between left hand drive and right hand drive. Just wondering if one side can see the screen clearly, if this function effects the display. I only know as when fiddling with the unit, (manual still in its bag of course) as I had set it on permanent night mode. it was in Setup, Car.
Just an uneducated guess!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Zenec is also there to view the reversing, rear view and waste water cameras.
If I look dead centre at the screen it's ok but as soon as you increase the viewing angle it goes quite poor. Of course you cant drive sitting in the centre of the cab.
Strangely enough I have had a lot of troubles with our Zenec due to the Caratec DSP however I did change it out for a pioneer and then without hesitation refitted it?
The reason for this was that the Zenec screen was a far superior picture compared to the pioneer for rear view and reversing and drain cameras. Itā€™s a 2018 version. However if it ever gets replaced I would certainly look for something with the same quality picture of the One I have now.
I never use the built in sat nav on it and the settings and instructions for anything on the head unit are far to over complicated and laborious to work with and instructions are poor.šŸ¤”

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
There is a setting on my Z-E4626 that allows you to switch between left hand drive and right hand drive. Just wondering if one side can see the screen clearly, if this function effects the display. I only know as when fiddling with the unit, (manual still in its bag of course) as I had set it on permanent night mode. it was in Setup, Car.
I'd found that setting. previous owner had it as left hand drive (it's not!) but it makes no difference.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Strangely enough I have had a lot of troubles with our Zenec due to the Caratec DSP however I did change it out for a pioneer and then without hesitation refitted it?
The reason for this was that the Zenec screen was a far superior picture compared to the pioneer for rear view and reversing and drain cameras. Itā€™s a 2018 version. However if it ever gets replaced I would certainly look for something with the same quality picture of the One I have now.
I never use the built in sat nav on it and the settings and instructions for anything on the head unit are far to over complicated and laborious to work with and instructions are poor.šŸ¤”
Don't get me started. I've almost given up on the Caratec DSP as it doesn't put the tv sound to the speakers. Regarding Pioneer, The screen on my 2014 pioneer head unit was OK, not great but good. This Zenetec screen is unwatchable.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On ours the reversing and rear view cameras are Camos and one got very badly misted and was crap to see any thing I was lucky and managed to get a replacement under warranty and they sent it to me I changed it myself.
I donā€™t know if they have got better quality now as the new one is clear as a bell and easy to see anything behindšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 3505C130-0024-4B69-8D94-29A9CDBF3EF8.jpeg
    3505C130-0024-4B69-8D94-29A9CDBF3EF8.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 28
  • D8B3C184-9698-4481-B712-E74ED41AE2DC.jpeg
    D8B3C184-9698-4481-B712-E74ED41AE2DC.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 25
  • D64C7232-03AF-4751-BF9A-E527EBE28382.jpeg
    D64C7232-03AF-4751-BF9A-E527EBE28382.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
On ours the reversing and rear view cameras are Camos and one got very badly misted and was crap to see any thing I was lucky and managed to get a replacement under warranty and they sent it to me I changed it myself.
I donā€™t know if they have got better quality now as the new one is clear as a bell and easy to see anything behindšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š
Thanks. There's always someone on here had your mh problem. Great club|. I think in this case its the TFT panel as it affects the sat nav, the cameras and even the waste water camera.:unsure:

Sep 23, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I like the sound on the new van. Although short of bass, it's the first mh we've been able to enjoy music travelling at speed. But the screen quality is atrocious. Too dim and indistinct to be of much use. I've tried the brightness at max (+10) but to no avail. Neither the sat nav nor any of the three cameras gives a bright or clear picture. I can see there is a car behind but no detail. We've just driven up the A1 with my wife having to read out the sat nav for me as I can't make out stuff like 1 mile to turnoff. Any body else find this?
I have the same head unit, spent the first few weeks changing settings as I was convinced that the brightness was turned down.. however no luck, itā€™s just a rubbish screen with really poor viewing angle. Which is surprising given that a) the cost and b) you canā€™t view ā€˜head onā€™ whilst driving. Just use my iphone as sat nav now and the Zenec for the camera when reversing and draining waste.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I'd found that setting. previous owner had it as left hand drive (it's not!) but it makes no difference.
Probly just changes which speaker is used for the phone. My Clarion has the option in phone settings of left or right front speaker.

The screen quality on my Clarion is very good, camera images are good.
But it's nowhere near bright enough probably due to the high brightness level in the cab of an A Class.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Probly just changes which speaker is used for the phone. My Clarion has the option in phone settings of left or right front speaker.

The screen quality on my Clarion is very good, camera images are good.
But it's nowhere near bright enough probably due to the high brightness level in the cab of an A Class.
Fortunately I have a Garmin with a brilliant screen. My last van's Pioneer head set was also good. None of which helps with the camera. I can accept a dull view of the waste pipe but I need clarity for reversing and it would be nice to see who's tailgating me before I give them the finger.

Mrjenben

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
I've almost given up on the Caratec DSP as it doesn't put the tv sound to the speakers.
Have you checked the lead from the tv to the DSP? Ours had an intermittent fault from new, leading to the tv sound dropping out from time to time. I initially thought it was the DSP but eventually found the damage to the cable where it was tie wrapped to the tv.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Have you checked the lead from the tv to the DSP? Ours had an intermittent fault from new, leading to the tv sound dropping out from time to time. I initially thought it was the DSP but eventually found the damage to the cable where it was tie wrapped to the tv.
I'll try a trailing lead if I can get access to the dsp.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours is LHD and the screen picture is really good it was the DSP that caused my problems.I have since contacted Caratec here is their reply.

Hello Alan,
thank you for your e-mail.

If you want to return the DSP you need to contact your dealer. There is no possibility to repair/check this in the UK. You cannot return it directly to us too.

Before your dealer returns the DSP he should do and follow the ā€šFault protocol for Hymer Multimedia Soundsystemā€˜
Kind regards

Jan Weyrauch

Service

looks like Hymer have stitched us up are not allowing anything to be done privately as they originally told me they do not even release detailed wiring diagrams of system until itā€™s six years oldšŸ¤¬

M J

Oct 4, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2014
I have the Zenec e3726 and Camos camera combination.
The photos show how the rear camera displayed on the Zenec. As said buy others the screen can't be viewed well from any angle except when you are directly in front of it, the brightness has three levels (all inadequate).
Hymer want Ā£1000 to change the Camos camera - Full story in another post.
I fitted a cheap mirror style screen from ebay and improved the picture added a bit of black tape to the top part of the camera lens that reduced the glare and its now Ok.
Hymer has exclusive deals with manufactures so Camos and Zenec for example won't deal with the end customers!
Hymer is a manufacturer and spares are a nuisance, however they want to maximise the profit on any parts.

Attachments

• PO3ZrqQ3RjuS%h5rSLiywA.jpg
    PO3ZrqQ3RjuS%h5rSLiywA.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 64A43F66-6FA6-4DED-A0DD-30EBF197740F.jpg
    64A43F66-6FA6-4DED-A0DD-30EBF197740F.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 20
  • fullsizeoutput_da1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_da1.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 19
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As I commented in my earlier post#11 the new camera assembly I got under warranty is definitely a much better picture than the one it replaced and Iā€™m wondering if they have changed the camera used, I think the lens has a darker glass to the edgesšŸ¤”

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
What model number is it? Mines a Z 3726
Same model as yours and now I see the sat nav has stopped displaying. Where did that go. This is either a broken or rubbish set. The head set takes half a minute to initialise and then is slow to change between certain functions. The graphic based settings are useless, I can hear a hard drive wirring and often I get a screen saying application has encountered a serious error and needs to shut down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
As I commented in my earlier post#11 the new camera assembly I got under warranty is definitely a much better picture than the one it replaced and Iā€™m wondering if they have changed the camera used, I think the lens has a darker glass to the edgesšŸ¤”
But the waste camera which is separate is no better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back