Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Just finished reading an article on BBC News about Kamikazi pilots. The article had a table showing the results of a poll carried out in various different countries. The question asked is whether you would be prepared to fight for your country? I was astonished to see that, according to the poll, only 27% of people in the UK would be prepared to do so. The UK was second to bottom of the table.

Obviously war is to be avoided at all costs but surely the freedoms we enjoy are worth fighting for? I would have expected a higher proportion of people prepared to defend our way of life.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is a difference between fighting and Kamikaze , so how was question phrased ? I think most would fight to protect their own way of life .
Mel's question if slightly of the angling variety is very relevant to the make up of the sample polled , as they probably didn't also ask would they fight against us :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I think we've lost the taste for war - too many wasted lives. Does anyone ever win? Looking at all the devastation caused by bombings and fleeing refugees. We're just living in an unhappy world. That's my twopennyworth.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
There is a difference between fighting and Kamikaze , so how was question phrased ? I think most would fight to protect their own way of life .
Mel's question if slightly of the angling variety is very relevant to the make up of the sample polled , as they probably didn't also ask would they fight against us :rolleyes:

The question was "Would you fight for your country?'

It wasn't couched along the lines of would you be bolted into an aircraft and dive-bomb the enemy. I thought, as you say, that most people would fight to protect their own way of life and found it quite shocking to see that so few would.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Discuss...

I'd forgotten how good that song was - very thought provoking.

I think it's entirely reasonable to protect our country, our citizens, our way of life from an aggressor.

Purely hypothetical I know but if, say, ISIS became an invading force in this country that I would fight against them. I would rather die in the effort of defeating them than live under their rule.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To be honest until it came to the crunch I have no idea whether I would "fight for my country" or not. Sad to say, I believe the general opinion amongst many is that the next "war" will be over in a few seconds and that there is almost nothing we can do about it. Defeatist view? Maybe but I'm a realist. Invasion? Don't think that will ever happen, well not by invading forces anyway. But surreptiously may be a different matter.

But if the question was, would you fight to protect your family, you'd probably get a much different answer.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I would.....and my husband did......however, I wouldn't become a kamikhazi pilot. I would hope to return from war.....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have always thought that I would end in front of an enemies firing squad if it all kicked off..]Why ? Cos I get the feeling I would be put in a roll of a sneaky bugger !

Deleted User
I'd forgotten how good that song was - very thought provoking.

I think it's entirely reasonable to protect our country, our citizens, our way of life from an aggressor.

Purely hypothetical I know but if, say, ISIS became an invading force in this country that I would fight against them. I would rather die in the effort of defeating them than live under their rule.

Would you do so in a futile war to protect the wealthy status quo, as the Great War?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Just finished reading an article on BBC News about Kamikazi pilots. The article had a table showing the results of a poll carried out in various different countries. The question asked is whether you would be prepared to fight for your country? I was astonished to see that, according to the poll, only 27% of people in the UK would be prepared to do so. The UK was second to bottom of the table.

Obviously war is to be avoided at all costs but surely the freedoms we enjoy are worth fighting for? I would have expected a higher proportion of people prepared to defend our way of life.

The 27 % were the only British left!!!! Xxx

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Look at the ways that countries enter into war.
Whose way of life are they trying to protect? - certainly not mine.

While I have huge respect for all those who take part, I have none for those who put them into that position.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
1933(ish?) The Oxford Union debated such a motion "Would you fight for King and Country" the words of the motion along those lines.
The motion was defeated Ayes= 150 (ish) The Nays= 250(ish)

Tiz said this was one of the things Adolf took into consideration when attacking Poland on Sept 1st 1939. Tiz history now how shocked the Nazi Hierarchy were when the UK declared war on 3rd Sept 1939

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I don’t think that there is a simple answer to this as I believe that the answer to the question depends entirely on my view of the perceived threat. Effectively, do I believe that the ‘cause’ is worth fighting for?

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can remember talking about this in the early 1980's with some German students. The topic was, what would make them go to war, nothing... they said. What if your country was invaded, no. What if your town or village was bombed? No, It transpired that these guys would only pick up a weapon to protect their family if someone, an enemy, actually came to their home.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Could not understand why on earth the army would struggle to get recruits. Who would not want to go and get involved in pointless fights that have nothing to do with us, get a leg blown off, lose your job and house etc and relying on charity to get by. A blinding job .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The question was "Would you fight for your country?'

It wasn't couched along the lines of would you be bolted into an aircraft and dive-bomb the enemy. I thought, as you say, that most people would fight to protect their own way of life and found it quite shocking to see that so few would.
The same little darlings are those in higher education.and think they are the cream of education. ..they live in a secular world which was won by the blood of our youth in the wars .. Aren't they lucky .!!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Could not understand why on earth the army would struggle to get recruits. Who would not want to go and get involved in pointless fights that have nothing to do with us, get a leg blown off, lose your job and house etc and relying on charity to get by. A blinding job .
Very sad point of view .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just finished reading an article on BBC News about Kamikazi pilots.
There was an Irish Kamikaze pilot who flew 47 successful missions....... (y)

Nothing like a good war. I would probably now be fighting with The Kurds if I wasn't so bl**dy old. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Can I recommend watching "Heimat". It is an epic of over 53 hours in 32 episodes.
It was shown on British TV many years ago and made a lasting impression on me. I can't remember all of it, but it described the day-to-day life of a small German village, and how it and Germany came to war(s). It demonstrated just how "The People" can be made to want war with the neighbours they'd got on with for generations. The same circumstances, pressures and persuasions are evident to me in the Baltic wars, the Middle Eastern troubles &c. &c...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film_series)

D

DL42846

Deleted User

That 27% probably represents the British people that are true Brits that are still left in the UK. Would I fight for my country to keep it in its present form? tough call.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Been there see that done that - got the medals to show it and a few scars mentally and physically.

Would I do it again................. Bloody right I would.

Same goes for me - 24 years in the RN :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back