Jul 31, 2019
Keymer
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since March 2017
Afternoon all
Can you let me know if you have the Xzent system in your cab. We have an Autotrail F74 and we have had real problems with the system. For example, I can be driving down roads that have been there for years and all of a sudden, the screen goes crazy and puts me in adjacent fields, driving across streams. According to the system, it had me driving at 185mph, when approaching traffic lights!!!
George

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Apologies for reviving this thread but can I ask if anyone has managed to connect an Android phone to an Xzent X-F285 ? Consider myself technical after more years than I care to remember in computer industry but this is defeating me. Tried numerous apps but none will connect. Seriously thinking of going over to an iphone to use Carplay - is this any better ?. Upgraded software in Xzent from 4.1 to 4.3 this afternoon thinking I had bricked unit at first when update failed but tried a slightly different way and it worked. Amazed there is no failsafe and if update fails the unit goes into an endless reboot sequence waiting for the correct file !

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
It should connect easily. Depends what you want to use from the Android. Bluetooth certainly works, and you have to make sure you use the USB1 flying lead to link the phone directly to the Xzent.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
I thought connection would be easy but I’m not finding that the case. Main reason for connecting to Android is to use Waze as I trust it more than the xzent nav. Bluetooth works fine and am now thinking that’s how I was able to play music from phone. Ford only offer 1 USB port and am sure that is connected to USB1 on the xzent as I have been able to update the software to 4.3. Really feel that the problem is less xzent but more finding the right app on the Google Play Store to install on my phone. Have tried a few already but still get no device connected. Have my name on a used iphone coming free next weekend and will probably leave it until then unless I hear of an app that works.

Thanks for replying, do appreciate it !

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Depends on the age of the head unit. The 280 doesn't have Apple Carplay or Android Auto only the 285.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
The Xzent unit which came with my van, new in mid-23, did Apple Carplay but not Android Auto. Instead it provided a very flakey Android screen mirroring app which was not acceptable to me. I sold it, which went a good way towards the cost of a replacement.

I bought and fitted a Pioneer SPH950. Initially the supplier sent the wrong fitting kit and also a low spec interface for the steering wheel controls which didn't provide full functionality. Once those were replaced it has worked very well.

I didn't buy the Pioneer satnav software as the intention was to use apps on my phone via Android Auto. I either use Google maps or for pre-planned routes I use Myroute Navigation which I also use on my motorcycle as this has very good and easy to use route planning which includes the ability to take into account motorhome dimensions. The Android Auto integration on this is still being developed, so for the time being I am keeping a phone mount on the dashboard so that I can use the phone directly in case of problems.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
I have a new Xzent x-427 unit that does only android and would like a unit that does apple car play if anyone fancies a swap of head units.

Upvote 0

PeteLewis

Free Member
May 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 485
Apologies for reviving this thread but can I ask if anyone has managed to connect an Android phone to an Xzent X-F285 ? Consider myself technical after more years than I care to remember in computer industry but this is defeating me. Tried numerous apps but none will connect. Seriously thinking of going over to an iphone to use Carplay - is this any better ?. Upgraded software in Xzent from 4.1 to 4.3 this afternoon thinking I had bricked unit at first when update failed but tried a slightly different way and it worked. Amazed there is no failsafe and if update fails the unit goes into an endless reboot sequence waiting for the correct file !
Hi Peter. Can you help. I have a XZent 285 and hoped to use the satnav feature. I couldn't see how to initialise the SD to download the files using naviextra so attempted to update the unit from 4.1 to 4.3, that's when it all went wrong. No matter what I try the flaming thing just won't go past the first 4 'bars' before restarting, over and over again. What did you do to update your console? Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Ah, that’s not good and sounds like the nightmare I had. From my experience the only way out of this endless restarting is to use another USB memory stick that the unit accepts. Fortunately I had a small USB that it accepted although I had to ignore the instructions and just put the extracted files on the USB without the original self extracting file.

I hope that this helps, feel free to ask more, this is the most helpful forum and I like to do my bit where I can. Well worth the subscription !

If you get it working as I hope you do, there is a little “feature” I fell for when using the navigation. I wanted to turn the radio off to concentrate but lost the voice directions. Now know that what I had done pressing the power button gently was muting the radio which unhelpfully mutes the navigation ! Work around is to turn radio volume down to 1 which lets the navigation give voice directions.

Upvote 0

PeteLewis

Free Member
May 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 485
Ah, that’s not good and sounds like the nightmare I had. From my experience the only way out of this endless restarting is to use another USB memory stick that the unit accepts. Fortunately I had a small USB that it accepted although I had to ignore the instructions and just put the extracted files on the USB without the original self extracting file.

I hope that this helps, feel free to ask more, this is the most helpful forum and I like to do my bit where I can. Well worth the subscription !

If you get it working as I hope you do, there is a little “feature” I fell for when using the navigation. I wanted to turn the radio off to concentrate but lost the voice directions. Now know that what I had done pressing the power button gently was muting the radio which unhelpfully mutes the navigation ! Work around is to turn radio volume down to 1 which lets the navigation give voice directions.
Thanks Peter

Upvote 0
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Ford Swift 594
We have recently purchased a Ford Swift 594 with an Xzent F285 and it keeps resetting clock and date back to default anyone else had this problem ? haven’t got the sat nav yet as apparently it does come with sat nav when I bought the van but there is no sd card in unit so I’m waiting on dealer to sort, its been back already to the dealer already for this problem but it’s not sorted yet

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Mine does start up with the default date but then pulls in the correct date and time. Thought this might be from DAB radio which always comes on but have just checked the manual and there is a setting for “GPS time sync mode” which might be the real answer. If you haven’t already it might be worth checking this. Naturally this will depend on yours having the GPS antenna and it being in the right place, mine wasn’t at first and had to repositioned by dealer.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
Ford Swift 594
Have done this but still same as of today and now it won’t come on at all at key on or with switch on dash ,it will on come on on engine start up it seems as the live supply to the radio shuts down after 5-6 hours after ignition on and then won’t restart unit van is running again
Ps also discovered that the heater control panel does exactly the same I now suspect the permanent live circuit is being cut out by the bcm and is not a true live circuit and actually a convenience circuit
Also I was told the heater had a live supply from leisure battery and radio has live from van battery but both seem to reset to default at the same time .

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Our Samsung phones work fine on the older head unit, it's 4 years old now. We link them through the USB slot. Use the supplied removal tools to check they've actually connected up USB1 at the rear and that the GPS isn't simply stuffed into the rats nest behind.

Factory fitted, the GPS should be adhered to the rear of the dashboard clock bezzle if not the Zenec website has a pictorial on how to re route it to the O/S corner of the windscreen. this needs to be as close to the A pillar as possible due to the heated screen elements.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Our Samsung phones work fine on the older head unit, it's 4 years old now. We link them through the USB slot. Use the supplied removal tools to check they've actually connected up USB1 at the rear and that the GPS isn't simply stuffed into the rats nest behind.

Factory fitted, the GPS should be adhered to the rear of the dashboard clock bezzle if not the Zenec website has a pictorial on how to re route it to the O/S corner of the windscreen. this needs to be as close to the A pillar as possible due to the heated screen elements.
Managed eventually to connect via Android Link, the dealer electrician advised me on the app to use, not immediately obvious on the play store. This was after he relocated the GPS aerial to where it should be and indeed it works a lot better now. Still not convinced about using Android Link but changing to iphone less of an option after going to photograph silver screens to list for sale on classifieds and a gust of wind blew my ipad out of my hand 😕

Upvote 0
Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
No matter what I try the flaming thing just won't go past the first 4 'bars' before restarting, over and over again. What did you do to update your console? Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Make sure stick you are using to upload the software update is 8gb or less

Upvote 0

PeteLewis

Free Member
May 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 485
Make sure stick you are using to upload the software update is 8gb or less
Hi. I have managed to reinstall Version 4.1, I am still struggling to install version 4.3 but for now I am happy that the system is working for our Switzerland trip. The only drive I have had success with is a 512mb FAT32 micro SD card in a reader inserted into USB1, all other drives USB and SD versions have failed (all formatted FAT32). I intend using the 512 card with the 4.3 update as I now know I can revert back to 4.1
What a stress this has been for what one would hope was a simple procedure!!!
Hi Peter. Can you help. I have a XZent 285 and hoped to use the satnav feature. I couldn't see how to initialise the SD to download the files using naviextra so attempted to update the unit from 4.1 to 4.3, that's when it all went wrong. No matter what I try the flaming thing just won't go past the first 4 'bars' before restarting, over and over again. What did you do to update your console? Hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Hi. I have managed to reinstall Version 4.1, I am still struggling to install version 4.3 but for now I am happy that the system is working for our Switzerland trip. The only drive I have had success with is a 512mb FAT32 micro SD card in a reader inserted into USB1, all other drives USB and SD versions have failed (all formatted FAT32). I intend using the 512 card with the 4.3 update as I now know I can revert back to 4.1
What a stress this has been for what one would hope was a simple procedure!!!

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Sorry, forgot to mention originally: from memory I had to use a 512mb memory stick which I was previously using for music. It’s more of a risky update than it should be. I’m not sure it wise to say you have the method now to upgrade to 4.3, in fact I’m not even sure of the benefit of upgrading.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back