X250 auto: Love it or Hate it (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have been offered a PX on a van I am interested in but it has the auto X250 box.

I have never driven one so would be interested in opinions from both sides please

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No brainer ! buy buy buy

BTW that is more than a 1.5k£££'s upgrade at point of order these days

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wouldn't be without mine. The economy of a manual with the convenience of the automatic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've heard varying stories about low speed manoeuvring but certainly it is the one big option that we would have had if not buying a stock van. Worth having IMHO

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would have one like a shot.. Driven a couple and very nice too !

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Have been offered a PX on a van I am interested in but it has the auto X250 box.

I have never driven one so would be interested in opinions from both sides please

Thank you starting this thread, we will have to make the choice next year.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, it is one thing you would be advised to read the manual for - otherwise you will never get moving without the wretched thing beeping at you. I didn't learn how to deliberately put it into neutral while waiting with the engine running and for starting until I had had it 6 months. You don't have to put it into neutral before starting, but it is recommended. Ditto, putting it into neutral while idling - if you don't it is like sitting with your foot on the clutch with the engine running in a manually.

The slow speed manoeuvring issue is only a concern if you are on a slope I have found. The problem is you have no direct control over the clutch so if you are inching very slowly up a slope there is a danger the clutch will be slipping. The answer is to a bit more bold with the throttle so it actually drives up the slope in gear and clutch fully engaged. You get a smell of burnt clutch if you don't - but you can get that with a manual as well if you try.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ditto, putting it into neutral while idling - if you don't it is like sitting with your foot on the clutch with the engine running in a manually

Actually it is the same for ALL automatics.. right back to the old Borg Warner 20x range ( yes, even the ones like the Smartie that are actually a manual box electrically controlled )

I had to virtually beat Woman over the head with a torque converter before she got the message !!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Surprised there aren't more answers to this. The Comfortmatic box isn't that uncommon

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Fantastic box .
I have heard many a negative comment over this box.
Usually by people that have never driven with it but they heard it from a friend of a friend.

Mel

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Had mine 5 years now and I would not want the manual

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I always thought autos really for city driving...a motorhome that spends most of its time on the open road cruising ..what's the point. But I'm open to having my mind changed:)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wait until you hit a 10 mile tailback! no more left ankle ache

Got the answer for holdups.....swap with the wife and have a snooze :)

Does it labour in the gears...does it feel like it's in the right gear most of the time, so to speak

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The 3 litre has so much torque that it doesn't change much but not having to even think about it makes a more relaxing drive.

If you drive in France much on D roads you'll not often go more than a couple of miles without a roundabout again and again and again

Last edited:
OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The 3 litre has so much torque that it doesn't change much but not having to even think about it makes a more relaxing drive

Thanks that's helpful but it will be the 150 bhp in a panel van camper. Would find it frustrating as I actually enjoy driving 6 speed box when run in, if it felt like it was not in the best gear for the job..suspect it would drive me nuts.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can switch it to manual mode and make the decisions yourself but still without a clutch to depress.
In the two years I've had it I have never encountered it in the wrong gear on any terrain up or down.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's not often I find it necessary to change gear manually, but if you are say driving along a flat road and need to turn off onto another road which you can see is a very steep climb, which might need first gear, it is smoother if you slow right down and knock it into first gear just before you encounter the hill. If you don't do this it will perhaps go into the hill in second and then have to change down to first on the hill - and this can be a bit heart stopping and on a wet road will get the wheels skidding for a fraction of second in my experience. The point is though the 'box will react to changing road conditions it can't really anticipate a sudden incline or descent and in those circumstances it can be smoother to make it change before the transmission comes under increased load.

But it isn't essential. You can just put it in auto and sit back and relax.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I see said the blind man.......this is really all very helpful.

(when it was discussed elsewhere war broke out:D)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've driven several comfortmatics now and I have to say on the road it is fantastic. Not quite as keen for low speed manouvering, especially in tight spaces. In edit: in fairness I feel the same about the "Sprintshift" from merc, "quickshift" from Renault and "Durashift" from Ford when they did it.

D.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We had one on our old Burstner and on the current Possl, also the 150 bhp version. As others have said, as you have option of auto or manual usage you've got the best of both worlds. We've been up and down Alps and Dolomites in ours and rarely needed to go into manual mode, except sometimes coming down really steep asses where you want to make sure you've got the engine braking effect. Driving in towns or in traffic jams, auto is a no-brainer.
I'd go for it every time.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I have a 3 ltr Comfortmatic and they are brilliant. My next motorhome is going to be a 3 ltr Comfortmatic. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes, manoeuvring at slow speed on a slope is more difficult than with either a manual or a conventional automatic. There is also a big gap between first & second & you can't rush the auto change, as it waits for the revs to drop before re-engaging drive. That can cause some heart-stopping moments as you pull away onto a roundabout until you get used to it & allow for it. You need a bigger gap before you pull out into traffic because of the slow change. You can make the change happen a little faster in manual mode, but not much. That's more a criticism of the ratios than of the automation, as I assume the ratios are the same in the ordinary manual & the only way to speed the change in the manual would be to drop the clutch without waiting for the revs to drop - with the accelerated clutch & box wear that would result.

There is a button next to the gear selector labelled UP, which sets the box to make changes at higher revs in the lower gears to cope with steep hills, so as long as you know you are about to turn up a steep hill, it's not a problem even in auto mode. Or you can just stick in manual, which is only a flick of the lever.

But overall, it's great. In any normal driving situation, you just never have to think about it. It's very good at being in the right gear at the right time - better than most auto boxes, especially when going down the box. You get intelligent engine braking, something very rare on an auto. Only a very dedicated driver of a manual would change gear as diligently as this box does. It's also very biddable - it follows your right foot very closely. You do need to drive it for an hour or so to learn how to get the best out of it, but when you do, it just does what it should when it should. And even in auto mode, you can just flick the gear selector up or down if you decide you want something different.

Mine is in a 3.5t panel van with the 150bhp engine.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I always thought autos really for city driving...a motorhome that spends most of its time on the open road cruising ..what's the point. But I'm open to having my mind changed:)

I hired a manual MoHo in April and drove over to the West coast of Scotland. Now, if that wasn't enough to convince me to buy the Auto then nothing would have; more gear changes that a fashion show but with better scenery ;). Get mine in March/April and at only £1500 quid above the manual, it's a bargain, go for it(y).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back