"Would you be wanting to sell your motorhome" (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bing Bong! went the front door.

Standing on the step was a big bear of a bloke who, before he had even opened his mouth I had sussed could speak fluent "Blarney"

"I was just passing"??? I resisted the urge to point out that ;
1. We live in a courtyard, fifty metres from the road into the estate (and that road is a cul de sac itself), and
2. Who is driving in this Lockdown?

He continued, " My parents have said they would like a motorhome. Would you be wanting to sell it"?
"I've just bought it.?
" Do you like it"
Me. Shrug of shoulders "Not had a chance yet"
A further question, then, " Would you like to sell it."
"I've just bought it"

With that he said his goodbyes.

Some might think I should have given him short shrift.
However, for all of our conversation, I was taking in Every nuisance of his being.

Looks like I will have to put my VW paperweight in front of the van tonight.
Anybody seeing a Ford Van LM 19 PZZ.

On finishing this, I'll be ringing 101.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It happens a lot they pass and just ask
Never had one stolen yet
They hope to get it cheap and sell on

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Neighbor opposite lets a friend kept her Motorhome on the drive had knock a couple of days go from Irish traveler asking if wanted to sell the van, didn't knock on my door or friends across the road. Not seen them since.

I did actually sell a caravan to Irish travelers some years ago when they came knocking and I did quite well out of it.

If they are going to nick it they don't bother knocking first, when they knock if you show interest they bring out a wad of cash, surprising how many people will sell for far less than it's worth when they see a bundle of cash. That's what they are hoping for.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We used to get this happen regularly when we had our old (55 plate) van. Not had one since we bought a newer one.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Bing Bong! went the front door.

Standing on the step was a big bear of a bloke who, before he had even opened his mouth I had sussed could speak fluent "Blarney"

"I was just passing"??? I resisted the urge to point out that ;
1. We live in a courtyard, fifty metres from the road into the estate (and that road is a cul de sac itself), and
2. Who is driving in this Lockdown?

He continued, " My parents have said they would like a motorhome. Would you be wanting to sell it"?
"I've just bought it.?
" Do you like it"
Me. Shrug of shoulders "Not had a chance yet"
A further question, then, " Would you like to sell it."
"I've just bought it"

With that he said his goodbyes.

Some might think I should have given him short shrift.
However, for all of our conversation, I was taking in Every nuisance of his being.

Looks like I will have to put my VW paperweight in front of the van tonight.
Anybody seeing a Ford Van LM 19 PZZ.

On finishing this, I'll be ringing 101.
Be very careful. This exact same thing happened to my in laws years ago, not once but twice and a few years apart. They lost two caravans to them. Similar chat up lines too.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Further to the above.
According to a source, that vehicle was seen in Glastonbury at two locations trying to sell a genny at both Tesco and B and Q car parks.
Same vehicle turned up at an alottment in Christchurch, Hants? in October just gone trying to sell what they thought was 'hooky' stuff.
As for the comments re 101.
When I rang to update the file, the operator started to hide behind Data Protection demanding I tell him my source.
He became nonplussed when I said Facebook and Google.
He said he would have to see the entries himself before he could update his system.
I left him with that well used phrase.
"I'll leave it with you Kid."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
He might have been genuinely interested in a worthwhile deal. Or he could be related to lad who inquired if I was selling the Porsche, when they spotted my 993 last year...... ho ho.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
As for the comments re 101.
When I rang to update the file, the operator started to hide behind Data Protection demanding I tell him my source.
He became nonplussed when I said Facebook and Google.
He said he would have to see the entries himself before he could update his system.
I left him with that well used phrase.
"I'll leave it with you Kid."
you lucky you got an answer.
Ive tried ringing twice in the past, 30+ minutes firts time and 15 mins second time before I hung up

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Ive tried ringing twice in the past, 30+ minutes firts time and 15 mins second time before I hung up
Is it a sort of unspoken Triage system, which weeds out calls that appear to be less important because people hang up?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Is it a sort of unspoken Triage system, which weeds out calls that appear to be less important because people hang up?
depends how long doesnt it, I think many would hang up and decide to call and waste the real important numbers time 999 in which case the "triage" doesnt work effectively

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I had the same problem when I phoned 101, was told they go to the same operators who answer 999 calls, so your well down the line for preference.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I was in the front garden last summer tidying up and a rather disheveled person asked if he could live in our motorhome whilst we were in lockdown because he was homeless.
It took me a bit by surprise but politely told him no. He thanked me quite politely and walked off. For a few days afterwards I kept a close eye on the motorhome but I never saw him again.
He wasn’t one of our locals that sit outside Lidl across the road. The regular one has a dog with him that I give treats to.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I opened my back door about 15 years ago when I have a caravan on my drive.
My jack russell flew round to the van kicking off no end.

I put my shoes on went to investigate and someone had made a hasty escape, leaving the gas hob lit and a pot of my tomato soup on it.
All the blankets were out of the lockers and looked like he/ she'd been in there a few days, cheeky F****

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I’ve just been out, turned the seats around and parked one of the cars across the rear of the MH. The alarm will go off anyway and with a camera pointing at them it should be more than enough to put them off.

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
I opened my back door about 15 years ago when I have a caravan on my drive.
My jack russell flew round to the van kicking off no end.

I put my shoes on went to investigate and someone had made a hasty escape, leaving the gas hob lit and a pot of my tomato soup on it.
All the blankets were out of the lockers and looked like he/ she'd been in there a few days, cheeky F****
Jings. What a shock you must have got.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Jings. What a shock you must have got.
Soon as I opened the door i felt/smelt the warmth. Went in waving my arms to punch the invisible mand in case anyone was left in there lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back