May 29, 2014
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
ci cusona
Exp
I'm a newbie
Driving in Europe newbie!

Hoping to get to Germany France Netherlands and Switzerland next month in one trip and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a clean air sticker.we’re planning to go to Berlin.
Am I right in thinking a uk sticker is now needed coming from uk and the gB on the plates isn’t enough?

Lastly,is it a legal thing to have to have winter tyres,which I’ll probably never use again?

I’ve googled and am getting conflicting opinions,I know a lot of people on here seem to go abroad like I go to Tesco !!

Thanks in advance,John

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Use via app for Swiss tolls.

Once you have tried winter tyres, you might not go back to summer .

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I don't think you can apply for the German sticker on line any more, I believe you will need to go to a German TUV (MOT) station in person.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aabbii

Free Member
May 29, 2014
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
ci cusona
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't think you can apply for the German sticker on line any more, I believe you will need to go to a German TUV (MOT) station in person.
Thanks for that, I’ll try online first from the link.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aabbii

Free Member
May 29, 2014
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
ci cusona
Exp
I'm a newbie

Use via app for Swiss tolls.

That’s interesting,I probably won’t take them off once I have them changed,thanks for that.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Berlin Office is the best place for the sticker.
You need the 3 peaks winter tyres from 1st November until April 15th, however M&S tyres are acceptable until November 2024 providing they were manufactured before January 2018.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We stayed at Freiburg I’m Breisgau Camperstop in Germany. From there turn right out of the site walk towards the town over the railway line as you get to the centre on the left it the tourist office net to it on the left hand side is the office that issues the stick. Bring your log book. It about 20 mins walk from the site. If you cant get one oLin. I would get all season tyres much better ride and covers all bases.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
You need the 3 peaks winter tyres from 1st November until April 15th, however M&S tyres are acceptable until November 2024 providing they were manufactured before January 2018.

Yes deffo the Berlin Office - mine arrived within a week of the online application being made recently. Cost was €5.90 inc. vat and postage. Valid throughout Germany not just Berlin.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have mud and snow tyres on both car and van. We don't do enough miles to make any extra wear an issue but the extra grip makes a huge difference in my opinion.

That's where we got ours some years back.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have mud and snow tyres on both car and van. We don't do enough miles to make any extra wear an issue but the extra grip makes a huge difference in my opinion.
We use winter tyres on the Motorhome all year round, we only do 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year in the Motorhome.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We use winter tyres on the Motorhome all year round, we only do 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year in the Motorhome.

Some years ago when I first had the M&S tyres (on a front wheel drive car) coming home from work in a snow storm there was a lorry broken down on a long steep hill. Even the 4x4 cars were having issues getting up and round the lorry. From a standing start at the bottom of the hill I got up and past, slow and steady with the M&S tyres giving enough grip to make it and a thumbs up from the police officer directing the traffic.

Also the same winter I hit a patch of ice, on the way to work, and thought "here comes the skid" and as the tyres did their work I revised my thinking to "oh no it doesn't". I was expecting to do a 360 pirouette.

When the tyres first went on I was skeptical about them but wouldn't be without them now. We get snow in winter and mud all year round!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Winter tyres used to have considerably worse grip when it got hot and they used to wear very quickly. Those issues have pretty much disappeared. The wear rate is now low enough that for most motorhome owners, they'll probably get to the recommended 5 year age replacement limit before they run out of tread. And they offer better grip in heavy rain and wet grass.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012

Hoping to get to Germany France Netherlands and Switzerland next month in one trip and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a clean air sticker.we’re planning to go to Berlin.
Am I right in thinking a uk sticker is now needed coming from uk and the gB on the plates isn’t enough?

Lastly,is it a legal thing to have to have winter tyres,which I’ll probably never use again?

I’ve googled and am getting conflicting opinions,I know a lot of people on here seem to go abroad like I go to Tesco !!

Thanks in advance,John
Stickers I don't know about, the D on my reg plate works for me and the Umwelt sticker comes with the Registration here :)

Tyres: Like most vehicle owners here in Germany I do the swap to winter wheels in late October until March/April, while its not a legal requirement in every region, it will instantly make you liable and may invalidate your insurance if you are involved in any incident and don't have them ( it would invalidate the insurance for a German, don´t know about visitors).
From experience the the difference with winter tyres is very clear when you start running around in cold wet sub zero temperatures ( we have -2°C here right now and sheet ice).
I would not use winters all year round, they do die quite (very) quickly being a different compound and are noisy due to the more aggressive tread ( Tried it :( ).
All seasons are a good compromise for general winter driving and your summer runs, as an example :

Continental VanContact 4Season 8PR 205/65 R16C 107T 105T
All-season tires for vans,TL 8,
ms_icon.png
snowflake_icon.png
, BAB | 73dB

These are about €140 a corner here ( I don´t know UK prices), for your UK travels and channel hopping in and out of season they would work ( or something similar of course, I just have a preference for OEM and big brand tyres ), I was getting about 35,000 km from a set of fronts on a Ducato based 7m MH from similar tyres.

As with any Forum you will have many conflicting, confusing, correct and just plain weird answers to work through - it´s what makes it fun.

Safe travels

:) Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The link to the official Berlin site on the linked RAC site in post #6 above show that you can still get them on line. You need to to provide a copy of Page 2 of your V5. That is how I got mine

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I got on well with Bridgestone Blizzak, and Falken winter tyres on a previous FWD Hymer.
On our RWD Iveco I have gone for Falken Eurovan 2 All Season tyres, but with the all important 3PMSF symbol, which becomes mandatory on M+S marked tyres in France/Spain from November 2024, in mountainous areas susceptible to snow.

Re the Umwelt Plakette, due to a change of vehicle, replacement windscreen, or a change of Reg No, I have sourced them all at TUV Stations local to my route/destination.
I don't think I'll be applying for the French Criti Air one for the Iveco............until it becomes a necessity. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Blimey Jock, tighter than me but I suppose you are a Scot. :LOL:
Absolute mythical drivel Lenny. :LOL:

The number one misconception our readers found were that Scots were tight. Far from the truth - a survey taken in 2018 found Scots are more generous than any other UK nation. Myth busted.

Shove that in yer pipe and smoke it........ as we used to say as kids. ;)

You are so tight Lenny, that anyone could easily mistake you for a Yorkshireman, rather than for the softie suvverner that you are. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
You are so tight Lenny, that anyone could easily mistake you for a Yorkshireman, rather than for the softie suvverner that you are. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
As an honourary Yorkshireman having lived in God's own country for 32 years before moving to Espana and having roots in Cleckheaton.
I can safely say that we are not tight but careful 😁🌞

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

aabbii

Free Member
May 29, 2014
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
ci cusona
Exp
I'm a newbie
As an honourary Yorkshireman having lived in God's own country for 32 years before moving to Espana and having roots in Cleckheaton.
I can safely say that we are not tight but careful 😁🌞

Thanks in advance,John

Thanks in advance,John
Big thanks for all the help and advice!

The French sticker proved to be a bit problematic but all I did was forwarded the v5 picture to my son on WhatsApp and when he returned it,it was the reduced copy.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Absolute mythical drivel Lenny. :LOL:

The number one misconception our readers found were that Scots were tight. Far from the truth - a survey taken in 2018 found Scots are more generous than any other UK nation. Myth busted.

Shove that in yer pipe and smoke it........ as we used to say as kids. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Was that survey done in Scotland 😀

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back