Winter tyres ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Following research and recommations on here, I've had two Toyo Observe van tyres fitted to front axle.
I sourced them myself and took them to be fitted today.
The fitter was concerned winter tyres shouldn't be used above 15c, or a least not really recommend ?
Has anyone had any problems, excessive wear in hotter climates ?
Driving the short distance home the improvement in ride over Michelin Agilis was very apparent.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Following research and recommations on here, I've had two Toyo Observe van tyres fitted to front axle.
The fitter was concerned winter tyres shouldn't be used above 15c, or a least not really recommend ?
Driving the short distance home the improvement in ride over Michelin Agilis was very apparent.
I think the days of 'winter' tyres being made of ultra soft rubber that falls to bits like chewing gum in higher temperatures has long since passed.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They will wear quicker than non winter tyres, but I don’t mind them wearing, I want grip, and motorhome milage isn’t sky high like normal van milage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shouldn't cause any problems but you shouldn't only fit them to one axle and certainly not the front. Tyres with the highest grip should always be on the rear.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Run them cool that will make them last💨💨💨💨
oh you only have 2 💨💨 😂 Keep the tread clear of debris, stones in the tread flex the tread, and make them run warmer🔥🔥

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Shouldn't cause any problems but you shouldn't only fit them to one axle and certainly not the front. Tyres with the highest grip should always be on the rear.

Completely agree. Mixing true winter tyres with all season tyres is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you only have two fitted Figaro I’d get another pair fitted soonest.

Ian

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I found the blocks on my front tyres were a bit torn on my Agilis Alpins, van is rear wheel drive. Might have been my driving though if you look at my avatar. 🤪

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've used winter tyres (Continental) for around 10 years now, going through a few sets - we do above-average mileage. In all that time have never had any problems concerning wear etc. and of course they're great on wet grass. Only time I got "stuck" was after a very heavy rainstorm the ground turned to mud and van sank up to the axles! But still managed to drive out once the ground had dried out.

I'd guess they wear a little faster than standard tyres but I guess, averaged out, I'm getting around 25000 miles per tyre. I have noticed that they tend to run hotter than normal which causes the pressures to rise a bit higher (Tyrepal monitoring system, which I've had to adjust to avoid over-pressure warning) but this hasn't caused me any problems.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When my winter tyres were fitted, the fitter mentioned how solid plastic feeling the mich campers were.

He also informed me that the big food delivery companies such as Acardo (Sp?) run winter tyres all year round on all their vans.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I haven’t bothered with matching spare. It’s still better than the space saver, or the bugger all that you get with some vehicles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok so I need a set for the rear, just when I thought my spending was over :eek:
Suppose I'll be needing a matching spare too ?
Yep especially if you travel to France & Spain, I swap mine around and replace all 5, I would hate to have a spare that is old but looks perfect.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Can I ask where you got them from? I've been looking but not been able to source any at the moment.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I couldn't get anywhere to supply and fit so bought from here on ebay

<Broken link removed>

Ordered Monday, arrived Tuesday (y)

Got my local tyre fitter to fit today for £25 the two

Manufacture date 5120

M50

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I run winters on my daily driver all year round
I also used to have winters on my tag axle motorhome all year round (now sold) without any issues
ive got two new 17” if there your size?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have driven on winter tyres and the old "Town & Country" for erm, 40 years. No issue.

Consider where you live!. If its the UK, you are more likely to drive more in winter conditions than you are a baking hot summer. In alpine regions of Europe, drivers keep winters on all year.

I have a small fleet of vehicles and I run them all on winters all year round. Vans, Cars, Motorhomes. One exception, my 4X4 came with Scorpion All-Seasons fitted. The wife run into the back of me whilst she was driving it in snow. Thats bad driving though.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
I run winters on my daily driver all year round
I also used to have winters on my tag axle motorhome all year round (now sold) without any issues
ive got two new 17” if there your size?
Unfortunately not! I need 225 75R 16 121

Thanks anyway 👍

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Why would you need to change all 4 of them. I have generally put them on the driven wheels for increased grip in snow.

Unless you pushing your motorhome to the limit then different tyres on each axle won't matter.

Cheers James

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why would you need to change all 4 of them. I have generally put them on the driven wheels for increased grip in snow.

Unless you pushing your motorhome to the limit then different tyres on each axle won't matter.

Cheers James
Because the tyres with the most tread/grip should always be on the read for safety so if your van is FWD you are going to need all 4, also in a lot of countries I think it's ilegal, UK tyre laws are fairly lax compared to most countries.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
There's no way i could get anyone to fit only 2 winters here, they'd just laughter at me...

I had until recently run winters on my wife's car, 4 season on my car and had a spell with winters on the van some years back but then swapped back to summers. I checked with Conti (was about 10yrs back) and they said their winters were OK up to around 34 degrees, after that they said they couldn't guarantee the tyre (may have since changed). Overall they will be A) noisier (no issue on a van) B) use a tad more fuel ? and C) will wear quicker but only mildly.

Winters usually have a lower speed rating as well although no issue on a van (they get very warm very quickly at high speed)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Mine again (winter tyres) were fantastic this weekend in our summer conditions. Pizzing down with rain all day, driving through big puddles, and then across wet grass to manoeuvre onto ramps on the grass pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back