winter pack? on the brink of buying (1 Viewer)

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Hi Funsters,
we've been to the NEC and we've asked Ocado how big their vans are- because we know they fit round our drive. Long story short we're looking at a 2017 Chausson Welcome 638EB. It's new and the 6.5 m lemgth not available in the 2018 models.
Taking the point that extras may more available that a further preice reduction in cash terms I'm wondering about winter pack retrofitted.
The Chuasson seems reasonably insulated ,by buying now rather than next April ( our original time scale) means we're starting with more winter use.Work and family mean UK breaks are the starting point for us.
So I'm thinking about the idea of hooking it up at home and getting the lagging and heaters to leave it ready to roll if we don't have a hard winter.
Advice welcome, Kay

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Funsters,
we've been to the NEC and we've asked Ocado how big their vans are- because we know they fit round our drive. Long story short we're looking at a 2017 Chausson Welcome 638EB. It's new and the 6.5 m lemgth not available in the 2018 models.
Taking the point that extras may more available that a further preice reduction in cash terms I'm wondering about winter pack retrofitted.
The Chuasson seems reasonably insulated ,by buying now rather than next April ( our original time scale) means we're starting with more winter use.Work and family mean UK breaks are the starting point for us.
So I'm thinking about the idea of hooking it up at home and getting the lagging and heaters to leave it ready to roll if we don't have a hard winter.
Advice welcome, Kay
You will find that width is usually more important than length when it comes to getting through tight spaces.

Get a fully winterised moho would be my advice. Usually that means one with a double floor, which ensures drain, heating and water pipes are all inboard, as well as waste and water tanks. I know most of the European manufacturers have such models in their range, but not sure about the particular Chausson model you are referring to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Thanks peterc10 , I take your point but we have to negotiate a curve so both dimensions come into play.
The optional "winter pack" which isn't on this particular MH includes heated grey waste tank, radiatir grill covers and curtains so I think the freshwater and hoses within the insulation.
I'll know what to ask tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks peterc10 , I take your point but we have to negotiate a curve so both dimensions come into play.
The optional "winter pack" which isn't on this particular MH includes heated grey waste tank, radiatir grill covers and curtains so I think the freshwater and hoses within the insulation.
I'll know what to ask tomorrow.
In that case I doubt there will be a double floor or insulation to the pipes. The tank heater will need you to be on constant EHU otherwise your battery will very quickly run down.

A fully winterised van will have the water pipes inside and usually they will follow the same routes as the heating ducts or pipes (depending upon whether you have Truma or Alde heating). That way they are protected from freezing as long as the heating is on. Same with the toilet cassette - heating pipes/ducts below it so as to keep it from freezing.

But all of this is designed for temperatures of -15C, as many Europeans use their mohos for skiing trips. You may be OK for UK winter temperatures if you are lucky.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
I don't think we will be deliberately looking for the cold weather, more about travel readiness in the u.k. and I guess we would drain down etc if the forecast is for ice. Winters so much milder these days but eventually we'll have another proper winter again.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
We have a Chausson van, no external pipework etc & internally everything is run next to the ducted air from the diesel heating system which is very effective. We've been skiing in it - apart from having to stick a bucket under the open waste drain (most do this) it handled it easily. Good insulation & tbh too warm at times!

Not a double floor but the layout of the plumbing & heating seems to work -we did have to block up a ridiculously large vent but dont think the 638eb has that issue.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a Flash 10 . I think as the fresh water tank is inside unless you are going away when there are temperatures below o in the daytime it won,t be an issue and as long as draoined down after each trip no need for the winter pack (ours is in storage no hook up if at home with a low power elec heater def no problem)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Unless you plan to use it for Winter sports, I'd expect it to be fine or something you could address yourself afterwards.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Chausson van, no external pipework etc & internally everything is run next to the ducted air from the diesel heating system which is very effective. We've been skiing in it - apart from having to stick a bucket under the open waste drain (most do this) it handled it easily. Good insulation & tbh too warm at times!

Not a double floor but the layout of the plumbing & heating seems to work -we did have to block up a ridiculously large vent but dont think the 638eb has that issue.
What he said! (y)

We had a Chausson coach-built for five years and the cold was no problem. French-built, designed for skiing. I doubt you'll need to do too much to it to use it successfully through the winter in the UK.

Diesel heating is efficient and uses surprisingly little fuel.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
In that case I doubt there will be a double floor or insulation to the pipes. The tank heater will need you to be on constant EHU otherwise your battery will very quickly run down.

A fully winterised van will have the water pipes inside and usually they will follow the same routes as the heating ducts or pipes (depending upon whether you have Truma or Alde heating). That way they are protected from freezing as long as the heating is on. Same with the toilet cassette - heating pipes/ducts below it so as to keep it from freezing.

But all of this is designed for temperatures of -15C, as many Europeans use their mohos for skiing trips. You may be OK for UK winter temperatures if you are lucky.

That will depend though if the heated waste is from 12v or a pipe from the heating system going to a double skinned tank, as per a lot of Hymers etc. A chausson will be well winterised as standard even without the winter pack, but it would nice to have it anyway.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Having the winter pack will depend on what it does to the payload, as well as your wallet.
That's a good point. We had a Chausson Allegro 96 from new in 2008 and used it with no problems through two Winters (UK only) and the 'van was fully specced. But the payload was pretty low, less than 300kg, and if you add extras and also plan to cycle, etc, it doesn't take much to bring that payload right down, especially if you carry chairs/table, windbreaks and the like. If you are serious about Winter camping beyond the UK I would personally always opt for a double floor van, but as always, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you do not need to have a double floor to say your van is winterised..
also you do not need to have a hymer to say your van is winterised.

@jonandshell have a chausson and we have seen -20 in high altitude and they still lived.
the chausson is a good van..

get the winter pack and a pair of curtains and a waste water heater is going to do nothing to your payload..

there's so much misconception about what a "winter" van means on here..

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I wintered in the 1970's in a van that would be considered poorly insulated these days. We had condensation and frozen waste pipes but seem to have survived OK. Nowadays we'd find it harder though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Griffithii

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Thanks team, for the moment we're just thinking UK and it's as much about it sitting at home as going away. If on EHU sounds as if we'll be able to sleep easy until it's pond freezing weather.
Did the deal yesterday. Aerial and refillable LPG added in gratis for windscreen price. We feel comfortable with what we've paid- but as have avanced the project by six months will be living frugally for a bit!
Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

It won't. It will be a draw of less than 0.5a and goes on and off. It doesn't heat water it just stops it from going below freezing. It will come on and off as the temp changes. However, any good winter sport motorhomer regardless of any tank heaters will have a bucket out side the tap and therefore the heater element will be wasted. Even with an element the water will freeze at point of exit even on the best winterised motorhomes.

There's a reason why there isn't a need for heaters in lav lockers, (but I'm taking the pee) if you get my drift they don't freeze.

My adria had external water pipes and we skied in temps up to -25 some years and they never froze. It's about engineering, the way the pipes were lagged and routed was an amazing piece of engineering. But I suppose if you are in Slovenia and used to these things then of course you would design for it.

There's a difference accepted in the motorhomer that want's the van to ski in like ourselves and to want to be able to get 12 months useage out of it. The only think I would add is that if you are leaving it on your drive as suggested, keep the hook up on and leave the heating on low whenever the bad weather comes. Saves having to drain the system and leaves the van ready to roll when you are.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks team, for the moment we're just thinking UK and it's as much about it sitting at home as going away. If on EHU sounds as if we'll be able to sleep easy until it's pond freezing weather.
Did the deal yesterday. Aerial and refillable LPG added in gratis for windscreen price. We feel comfortable with what we've paid- but as have avanced the project by six months will be living frugally for a bit!
Thanks for all the help.
We bought ours well beforew we really wanted to because of a good deal at the NEC hope you find the same as us never regretted it . Its just after you sign the dread that its too big a price starts to kick in but when you get it enjoy. When its pond freezing weather theres no problem if drained down as I said ours is in storage no hook up been fine even in -10 if next to the house with a low amount of heat it will still be warmish.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Lots of armchair opinions on here about winterisation of vans.
Our Chausson works well in extreme low temperatures.
It's in the details; all water pipes followed by heater ducts, heated voids, good falls on waste pipes and a big discharge valve.
As @haganap suggested, heating your waste water is a bit wasteful and is best dealt with using a bucket.
If you do want your winter pack I think you will find Chausson use a shroud over the waste tank, heated by the blown air heating.
We popped a CAK tanks heater in ours and even off grid, the current draw is minimal. We didn't use a bucket on the last trip at altitude and experienced no waste freezing.
Remember, most of what is discharged onto your waste tank are of hot water from washing.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
One of the biggest problems with insulated water pipes is getting them un-frozen. We had a Swift Bolero and all the pipes had lagging round them. Water tanks also had electric heaters. Bad winter and everything froze but what a job trying to thaw the pipes out. The insulation certainly did its job and kept the heat out. As has been said. Double Floor will keep you warm. An A Class is even better as the cab area is also insulated which it isn't in an ordinary cab version. You also need one you can have the heating on while on the move. It stops your feet getting very cold with the draught from the back.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
N.E . Scotland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 717 GA
Exp
Since 2015
We have a 2015 chausson in welcome trim , I ordered it with the winter pack , which consists of the following -Silver Screen(cheap version) for outside of cab windows,Fridge vents ,Tank Heater (240volts only)a bit of carpet for the step(I jest not) we were in Braemar at -12 and had no problems with frozen pipes etc ,all the plumbing is in the floor void which has the ducting for the heating

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back