Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thinking about spending December to mid March in Creat Island - Greece, any one did it? And tips/advice will be appreciated.

Looking to leave the Moho near Athens Airport for UK visit for a month end Nov-end Dec, any idea about safe storage place?

Thanks

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We used to live in Crete. January and February can be cold and wet, although much much better than the UK weather. We have even had snow at beach level sometimes. The best weather will usually be in the South East. Not sure about campsites being open, however you shouldn't have any problems finding places to wild camp. Getting water won't be a problem, dumping your cassette may be. Check your insurance regarding leaving your MH for a month.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
We used to live in Crete. January and February can be cold and wet, although much much better than the UK weather. We have even had snow at beach level sometimes. The best weather will usually be in the South East. Not sure about campsites being open, however you shouldn't have any problems finding places to wild camp. Getting water won't be a problem, dumping your cassette may be. Check your insurance regarding leaving your MH for a month.

That really is the beauty of this site. You could spend many hours searching the web and getting all sorts of misleading and wrong information. An example is that before going to Greece and searching the web we saw many reports that fuel stations only take cash so we took loads of cash with us. In fact when we got there we did not find a single garage that did not take credit cards.

The above is an excellent response from Dogsense and worth its weight in gold to anybody who wants to visit.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We use credit card in all petrol stations, supermarkets, campsites, and most restaurants in Greece (but cash only in Montenegro & Albania)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Looking to leave the Moho near Athens Airport for UK visit for a month end Nov-end Dec, any idea about safe storage place?

you need to check your Insurance as most policies only give you 48 hours un-attended. Upto you really if you want to take the risk but it could be expensive.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
We used to book our ferry in June this year €174 open return Athens/Chania. Very helpful when booking return.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We're in Corfu now and everyone takes credit cards. Our problem is that we prefer cash and UK companies are getting troublesome ... I'm afraid that the banks are taking over the world!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We "Did" the Peloponnese for 3 1/2 months April, May and June. It was beautiful and warm. Over Winter, I'm not so sure but "Flatpackchicken" did Sicily overwinter and it was warm.
Debit card used everywhere.
Good luck and enjoy.
PS. Greece had snow last Winter ! !
Mitch.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes I spoke with Insurance broker, need to find wher to leave the van and give them details so they can check with insurance company.
Must find good secure storage or campsite.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thinking about spending December to mid March in Creat Island - Greece, any one did it? And tips/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have not MHomed in Grece yet, but I know the country and its islands well from sailing there for 25 years.

Athens area would not be my choice for storage. Could you please give an idea of your itinerary before Athens, presumably after ATH it is straight on a ferry to Crete.

Does the flight to UK have to be from ATH? - there are some other connections all year. Then you might heve better/cheaper/more secure choice of storage.

On the points made about card use, they number of businesses having card terminals has increased dramatically in last 2 years, by law with a fine for not having a terminal, to avoid tax dodging, but you might still be offered a discount for cash.

Geoff

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Frustrated!
I found a very safe place to keep my MoHo near Athens Airport, in a compound of a Motorhome Dealership that also rents MoHo and have a service/repair Department, that is manned 24h.
My insurance company declined the option of leaving it unattended.
I pointed out that it’s much riskier to drive 4200km in Europe as opposed to storing the van for a month, but to no avail.

Does anyone know insurance company that allows the van to be left unattended in Europe?

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Good News!
Thanks to Darren from AIB Insurance intervention, the insurance company agreed (for extra ÂŁ75 )to increase our European time allowance from 6 to 7 months and agreed to us leaving the van for a month in storage in Greece.
So will spend the winter end Dec-March in Greece this year.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As we are going to stay in Greece till end March 19 and from here travel for another two months in Europe before returning to UK, our breakdown insurance cover is for 180 days only , which means that we will not be covered after 24th Feb 2019, we are Looking for a breakdown new cover that we can buy while already in Europe. Does anyone know a company that will offer us a European breakdown cover when we are already in Europe?
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
for 180 days only

Are you up to date on all the "time" rules ? How long out of UK, how long before you have to register in a country, how long for a UK car in another country ? I've seen 90 days mentioned.

It's a minefield.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Hi Jim. As your map link above show that you stayed in Crete, can you please tell me where did you get fresh water and empty casset while wild parking on the island?
Many Thanks
Happy Christmas & Very Good New Year.

Hi

sorry, not my map , it was @pjay who was in Crete. hopefully he will see this and reply ..

Merry Christmas :xsmile:

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
What an interesting topic. We may be doing Greece this summer so every bit of info is useful.
You can't get this type of information from people who have 'been there, done that' anywhere else.
Thanks Motorhomefun.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Are you up to date on all the "time" rules ? How long out of UK, how long before you have to register in a country, how long for a UK car in another country ? I've seen 90 days mentioned.

It's a minefield.

I hope so, my van insurer allowed me to store the van in Greece for one month, the insurance broker said that they probably will have a way to sort my breakdown insurance that will reach 180 days on 23rd February, if they will not find an arrangement for that early in February, I will have to cross to UK before 24th February.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
John, I hope it won’t be like that in Crete this winter, Crete is Southern then the Portugal-Algarve & South of Spain

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
John, I hope it won’t be like that in Crete this winter, Crete is Southern then the Portugal-Algarve & South of Spain
It can and does snow in Crete - but only inland on the mountains I think. The south coast, which has the best weather, should be clear. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I hope so, my van insurer allowed me to store the van in Greece for one month, the insurance broker said that they probably will have a way to sort my breakdown insurance that will reach 180 days on 23rd February, if they will not find an arrangement for that early in February, I will have to cross to UK before 24th February.
The RAC through the Camping and Caravanning Club will do continental trip length of up to 350 days. Not cheap, but might be worth investigating. We've got it and the cover is for the two of us driving any vehicle - so includes using the car as well as the van.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years

Until now, we have always understood that the vehicle must be out of Greece within 180 days, but if you stay over 90 days, then you need to register with the local police. It's not usually a problem. Alway keep ferry tickets with you to prove arrival & departure dates.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Is anyone staying in Crete in the next two months? would be nice to meet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back