Windy Smithy Woodburner .. for the RV ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've often joked about fitting a wood burner in the RV :roflmto:.. now I'm seriously thinking about it..

From The Windy Smithy

Our efficient and lightweight burners have been developed for use in living vehicles, boats and tents, and will function equally well in workshops, houses and mobile homes, where an attractive heat source is required to keep going all night in total safety.The revolutionary vent system allows instant control of the air flow, and combined with the airtight door and dual airflow, permits the logs to be burnt with remarkable efficiency.

Windy Smithy

I like the Louis Ranger ..

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Jim

They look interesting, I recon Shona will be ordering one, she loves the idea :Smile:

stew

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Stew

I've emailed for a quote for fitting a Louis Ranger ..

Love the idea of baking bread in a wood burning stove..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi Jim

where abouts would you have it installed

stew

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Stew

Funny you should ask, Jan and I were just discussing, I would remodel the kitchen...

remove the SMEV gas cooker and existing double enamel sink ( which needs replaced anyway) , install the wood burner where the cooker was and fit a new stainless steel sink/double gas ring..

I'll do a sketch and post it ..

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Be interesting to see Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Will be great for moroco Jim in the Sahara you can chop down some Tre:Doh:
Geo:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Those little log burners can be really fuel efficient. We heat our entire house with two woodburners. One is an old large thing that can hold a wheelbarrow full of logs, it is doublefronted so the fire is in two rooms. The heat it throws out is phenomenal but it does go through the fuel. The second is a very modern burner, extremely efficient with lots of control of the burning. It will burn at about the rate of one small log every 3 hours and easily heats a room that is 10m by 4m.

Woodburners are excellent and one in an RV would be great. We are burning some apple tree logs right now and the smell is fantastic.:Smile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
We parked next to a van on the aire at St Larry Soulan France on a freezing cold January day and the van had a wood burner in it, the smell of wood smoke was lovely so it is possible to do. We have a wood burner, in our Bungalow and it is really efficient, we burn only scrap wood, pallets ,window frames etc so it is really cheap to run, I read somewhere that because of the rise in the cost of gas and electricity, wood burners are becoming more and more popular, you get two warms from wood, one when you cut and store it and another when you burn it .:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We parked next to a van on the aire at St Larry Soulan France on a freezing cold January day and the van had a wood burner in it, the smell of wood smoke was lovely so it is possible to do. We have a wood burner, in our Bungalow and it is really efficient, we burn only scrap wood, pallets ,window frames etc so it is really cheap to run, I read somewhere that because of the rise in the cost of gas and electricity, wood burners are becoming more and more popular, you get two warms from wood, one when you cut and store it and another when you burn it .:thumb:

We were on the aire at Mimizan during the winter and the beach was absolutely full of drift wood, knee deep in places and as far as the eye could see, there were lots of locals collecting it.

LPG is getting more and more expensive, site fees are going up, so it makes sense as a full timer to look at an alternative energy source for heating and cooking.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It could be like the Vatican:roflmto::roflmto:

Be interesting in the morning wont know whether its Georgie firing up or windy:winky:

Mind you if you get snowed in could alway burn the furniture:helpsos::helptitanic:

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Jim, you want one with a back boiler, hot water and a couple of rads off it.:roflmto: You know the next thing people will be going on about,:winky: Petrol chain saws,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you better get a electric one. :whatthe: Bob.::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've often joked about fitting a wood burner in the RV :roflmto:.. now I'm seriously thinking about it.
A skilled engineer who knows what he's doing could make one of these up at a fraction of this price.

I'm fortunate in living in a house where the open fireplace has been kept open and live in an area where i can still burn real coal (not this smokeless crap!), or logs. Apart from two or three others in the street, everyone else has long had their fires blocked up and a gas fire fitted. BIG MISTAKE!! Open fires are a real selling feature now in property.

Whatever you decide Jim, i'd go for it.......i don't think you will have any regrets!

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We love woodburners, we have one in the cottage and we are going to install one in the shed Mark is building as storage/tractor shed and a bay for a meeting place for funsters when we have a meet in cold weather. The log pile will be near so its just a case of "throw another log on" and pour another drink ! You can also boil a kettle on the top of this woodburner. :thumb:
The roof and timbers go on next week thanks Darling for saving us abit on the VAT :Smile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
A lot of you will be fed up hearing about the coach that we lived in, a million years ago:cry:
Well, we fitted a budget pot belly stove in it, we found that we needed 50ft (give or take a bit) all around it to stop everything smoking or melting:Blush:
We were offered a swap for a small Victorian kitchen range, it looked drab and very heavy!! We did the swap and found that although it was beautiful moulded cast iron it was actually not that heavy. After we had it in place (and sealed all the sections to stop smoke) we blacked it, and it looked fantastic:thumb::thumb:
SO it looked great, gave off a lot of controllable heat, we could cook in the oven and on the top.

Nigel& Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
We love woodburners, we have one in the cottage and we are going to install one in the shed Mark is building as storage/tractor shed and a bay for a meeting place for funsters when we have a meet in cold weather. The log pile will be near so its just a case of "throw another log on" and pour another drink ! You can also boil a kettle on the top of this woodburner. :thumb:
The roof and timbers go on next week thanks Darling for saving us abit on the VAT :Smile:

Ah this give me an idea for keeping ones bus warm as toast this winter:Doh: right next to the new shed and huge stack of logs:thumb:

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The wood stove had a couple of downsides, the flue only ever went out of a small window, it brought rain inside, but this was not a problem when the fire was alight!!
I really don't know how a rubber roof would react to sparks!! A flue MUST be fitted correctly.
It also makes a lot of dust inside, partly because of the DRY air inside.
A small supply of wood must be carried, using valuable storage space, this wood can bring uninvited guests onboard.
We carried a chain saw, BUT they are very dangerous in the hands of morons like me!
If you have no experience of them, try to get hold of a video showing what can go wrong, this will focus the mind.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The wood stove had a couple of downsides, the flue only ever went out of a small window, it brought rain inside, but this was not a problem when the fire was alight!!
I really don't know how a rubber roof would react to sparks!! A flue MUST be fitted correctly.
It also makes a lot of dust inside, partly because of the DRY air inside.
A small supply of wood must be carried, using valuable storage space, this wood can bring uninvited guests onboard.
We carried a chain saw, BUT they are very dangerous in the hands of morons like me!
If you have no experience of them, try to get hold of a video showing what can go wrong, this will focus the mind.
Nigel & Pamala

Thanks Nigel ..

some very valid points to ponder ... especially sparks on the rubber roof .. :Eeek:

but I wonder how this is overcome when used under canvas ?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A tall chimney extension helps to cool the sparks before they land, we found that most of the time the wind blew them away, but it can blow them down.
Nigel

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have considered fitting a wood stove in the 5er, because we know from experience just how good they are, but rearranging the inside and fitting a flue have kept us on the side of LPG furnace, (for now).
Nigel

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Now all you need is a nuclear powered engine Jim and your sorted :winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Jim I have thought about a woodburner for the Monaco and we have a lovely copy of a small Scottish Crofters woodburner/oven that I think would be ideal but where to put it in the RV? Because our kitchen is part of the slide out! That would make fitting a chimney impossible:Sad:

Here is a pic of it in our front room

Link Removed

Regards Pat

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Pat, so who said the chimney has to go out of the roof, you could take it out of the side wall then have a 90 deg bend and further stack added on the outside. I considered fitting one this way in the beast, that way I could remove a window and replace with metal to pass through. The outside part naturally would be removable for travelling.

Hi Jim I have thought about a woodburner for the Monaco and we have a lovely copy of a small Scottish Crofters woodburner/oven that I think would be ideal but where to put it in the RV? Because our kitchen is part of the slide out! That would make fitting a chimney impossible:Sad:

Here is a pic of it in our front room

Link Removed

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim I have thought about a woodburner for the Monaco and we have a lovely copy of a small Scottish Crofters woodburner/oven that I think would be ideal but where to put it in the RV? Because our kitchen is part of the slide out! That would make fitting a chimney impossible

That's a cracking little stove, where did you buy it ?

I'm still deciding where to install, with no slides I have a couple of options..

In the kitchen where the existing stove is or in the lounge which would be nice but more problematic due to the chimney going past a window..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
That's a cracking little stove, where did you buy it ?

I'm still deciding where to install, with no slides I have a couple of options..

In the kitchen where the existing stove is or in the lounge which would be nice but more problematic due to the chimney going past a window..

Why go past the window, go through it, easier for any subsequent owner to revert if they wanted to as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back