Windscreen Armageddon (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Drove through the deepest Spanish countryside yesterday for three hours and the front of the van looks like an insect charnel house .
What’s the collective wisdom re cleaning the mess off ( promise not to use the freshwater hose 🤣🤣🤣) , clean the screen and leave the rest ( as it’s only gonna get blitzed again ) or clean the whole of the front ?
I’m loath to be cleaning when I could be cycling or drinking wine as I have to keep reminding myself I’m on holiday !
Cheers !
Give the whole van a wash at one of the 1000s of places specifically for it. Many have platforms to do the roof also for about €2. Know what you mean about time but takes about 10 mins and is good for the soul!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Drove through the deepest Spanish countryside yesterday for three hours and the front of the van looks like an insect charnel house .
What’s the collective wisdom re cleaning the mess off ( promise not to use the freshwater hose 🤣🤣🤣) , clean the screen and leave the rest ( as it’s only gonna get blitzed again ) or clean the whole of the front ?
I’m loath to be cleaning when I could be cycling or drinking wine as I have to keep reminding myself I’m on holiday !
Cheers !
At multiple locations while driving in the US, petorl stations have flocks of long legged starling like birds that peck the bugs off the vehicle while your filling up peck the flys off the vehicle and some of them bugs are big. They don't do that good job in the time though.
I always washed windscreen & lights at every refuel.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I heard that a single wrap of cling film across the bonnet removed when you arrive keeps the bonnet bug free.

As for the windscreen, hotwater and a detergent is probably the best reliable way in my experience.

we noticed (UK) that there are fewer and fewer bugs on the windscreen now .. hardly any these days, a sad reflection on our way of life .. not a good omen for our survival ..

Strange this. I had noted over the last few years whilst at Jim's that there were fewer. But it appears this year they have caught up and made up for the last few years.
My windscreen is a mess after doing the 1mile trip to the shops and back in Horncastle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Strange this. I had noted over the last few years whilst at Jim's that there were fewer. But it appears this year they have caught up and made up for the last few years.
My windscreen is a mess after doing the 1mile trip to the shops and back in Horncastle.
In Alderton, there is always a breeze off the N Sea , and probably at Jims .. so that maybe accounts for fewer bugs, but it's more likely due to industrialised agriculture.. and fields being sprayed with chemicals..

Why are there fewer insects in the UK?

As a result of the shift to modern industrialised farming, flower meadows and hedgerows have been replaced by monocultures and increasingly large fields
. Consequently, the diversity of food sources available to pollinators has decreased and farmed landscapes have generally become less hospitable habitats for insects.2 Aug 2023

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back