Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Do you know what the FIAT recall is about ? Is it the ECU or a different issue, is it a recall or the other lesser thing that isn't a recall (and avoids all the additional paperwork & embarrassment) but it is really a recall in actuality?

Might be this, approx 25000 vehicles:

Quite honestly I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I think the op has a legitimate cause for complaint and agree with the sentiment reflected in the posts from gorse-hill and gus-lopez above.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you know what the FIAT recall is about ? Is it the ECU or a different issue, is it a recall or the other lesser thing that isn't a recall (and avoids all the additional paperwork & embarrassment) but it is really a recall in actuality?

It's a camshaft issue and it only affects 239 vehicles in the UK so it's not really something any converter should really be using as an excuse for delays.

https://www.vehicle-recall.co.uk/recall/R/2017/085

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Might be this, approx 25000 vehicles:

Quite honestly I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I think the op has a legitimate cause for complaint and agree with the sentiment reflected in the posts from gorse-hill and gus-lopez above.
Thanks....' camshaft may break' uhuh....:doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am sure that the conditions where the OP lives are very bad in winter,but there must be workers in the area,with boats,vehices etc,that go about their daily lives in Dry,Draught free boats and vehicles,that are kept dry and draught free by local/island craftsmen.
First. Even if you get your diesel and ferry fares paid,there is the time involved,have you thought of getting your jobs done localy? If it goes wrong again,you don't have so far to go to get it put right.
Second. Once it is put right,it will be free from faults and you can trade it in against a vehicle that you....Like.
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
On the plus side The FIAT chassis will be without additional complexity of AdBlue as on the Citroen, and the Wildax I looked at recently on the Citroen base seemed to have the step and water outlets (not sure about the tanks) quite low on the chassis. (Certainly coming from the perspective of an unfashionable high up FIAT steel chassis) Not sure if it will be the same on the Wildax FIAT?
Hi campa cola
Hope your right about no ad blue on the Fiat,something LESS:ROFLMAO: to go wrong(y)
Tea Bag

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This will not help now, but when I looked at PVC's vs coachbuilts, I concluded that PVC's had a lot of doors that opened and were difficult to insulate, so not that great for a windy winter. Winterised Coachbuilts on the other hand don't have lots of doors that open and are generally better sealed

I have lived in my PVC self build conversion and I can assure you there are no draughts at all and it is extremely easy to keep warm. My Eura was a beautiful van but it did have draft issues.

Regardless of whatever words were used in an email the lack of customer service would seem to indicate that they were deserved .
If a business is that shallow that a few abusive words that would appear to be warranted ,upset them then they really don't deserve the custom. The customer is always right even when they are abusing you.(y)

If I had paid 50k for it & had the problems that I have seen posted over the last week they wouldn't have to worry about my legendary abusive emails:LOL: ( they even embarrass me later) but the face to face where I've been known to invent new words.

I am sorry but if my clients were ever rude to me or swore, I warned them once politely. If they then swore again the phone got hung up.. Tickets with swearing in them would go to the back of the queue. Fortunately they were few and far between and in 99.999% of cases it was because they didn't understand the issue and refused to accept our explanation.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have lived in my PVC self build conversion and I can assure you there are no draughts at all and it is extremely easy to keep warm. My Eura was a beautiful van but it did have draft issues.

I am sorry but if my clients were ever rude to me or swore, I warned them once politely. If they then swore again the phone got hung up.. Tickets with swearing in them would go to the back of the queue. Fortunately they were few and far between and in 99.999% of cases it was because they didn't understand the issue and refused to accept our explanation.
I think the key is 'self build', you obviously did a proper job as you live in it. Mr kingspan and lambs wool did the same.
I had a big 50 mm insulated metal American barn then put another 60mm of kingspan all around including the floor, plus glass fibre. I could heat that in the winter with just a small oil radiator, no draughts meant toasty (y)It was way warmer than the house and I used to nearly live in it ;)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

I didn't think the words used were that bad given the frustration of the customer Gromett, surely it's just as rude to not reply/deal with a customers issues
Obviously, assuming we have all the facts as presented by the OP(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't think the words used were that bad given the frustration of the customer Gromett, surely it's just as rude to not reply/deal with a customers issues
Obviously, assuming we have all the facts as presented by the OP(y)
I deliberately avoided commenting on the OP's posts as I don't know the full story. My comments were just in response to Gus saying he sends legendary abusive emails. And by the sounds of it will use intimidation in person. For me that has exactly the opposite effect.

My attitude when dealing with a company is to be extremely polite like I would wish to be treated. If I fail to get adequate service I move on and won't spend with them again. If in the case of of the OP. I would have taken the original sales receipt in and acted like I was dumb and politely ask them to take me through the paper work to explain how they got to that figure. Invariable done in this manner where you are not accusatory you will get better results than going in either aggressive or even forceful.

All that said, it sounds like the customer/business relationship is seriously damaged at this point. I would give it one more go by sending a letter in writing, that is apologetic for any confusion or bad feelings. Try to reset the relationship. List the defects in factual and unemotional language. Ask for an appointment to get the repairs fixed. Stick to the appointment and test everything is to your satisfaction before leaving.

If you are not prepared to travel to get the repairs done it is not worth complaining about it to be honest. If you can't or won't travel to get them repaired I would look for a local company and cut your losses and get the work done yourself.

But that is just my view, Some people can't bring themselves to grovel when they believe they are in the right and I can understand that. It just strikes me as cutting off my own nose to spite my face.

As for the billing issue. It is resolved now. Bringing it up all the time won't get the repairs you need doing done.

On the draft issue. It sounds like it is coming from behind the fridge? If so this is a fitting problem. There should be no draft from the fridge to the inside of the van. The sides of the fridge should be sealed. There is a safety issue here because you could get a build up of combustion fumes in the van.

I am not judging either Wildax or the OP in this as I haven't heard both sides of the story. But it does sound like a personality clash resulting in a breakdown of the relationship. Both sides are probably digging their heels in now... Never a path to a satisfactory solution.

Last edited:

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I have a wildax Aurora (fixed bed - jan '17). From what I have heard from other owners - go through Danny as much as possible. Avoid Duncan - he's the owner & salesman. When i've had problems it's been emails and photos (I. E. A paper trail) that has moved things along.

I moved mh eza warranty to roadp. I thought that since thry've installed hundreds & I was the second that wildax had installed, it would be the best. The backwards & forwards for wildax to sign & stamp the warranty card (which they hadn't done initially) & send it to roadpro was a pain in the but!

In the end it took a call to roadpro (& an appointment with roadpro to give it the once over), an email to wildax with roadpro cc'd & a call to wildax from roadpro telling them when my appointment was & requesting the warranty card before then - for them to get their are into gear!

From what i've learned from other wildax owners, don't bother going through Duncan. You'll be hitting your head against a brick wall!

Contact Danny - I don't know a wildax owner who doesn't love him!

Good luck!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
... or do as you would with most firms, and go through the admin team who can resolve some issues, manage others, and liaise between customer and workforce.
And they're lovely.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's a camshaft issue and it only affects 239 vehicles in the UK so it's not really something any converter should really be using as an excuse for delays.

https://www.vehicle-recall.co.uk/recall/R/2017/085
The converter didn't say this was the issue, only that Fiat were well behind schedule, and they told me the date my van is now due to leave the Fiat factory, how long it usually takes then get to them, therefore my likely handover date.
I'd googled 'fiat delay', found the recall info, and made the assumption that this was (at least one) reason. Somebody on another forum said that their van hadn't even left the docks, but had been shipped back to Italy, so it seemed to me that maybe Fiat were busy rebuilding vans. If this isn't a sensible assumption, then it's my mistake and not the converter's.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The converter didn't say this was the issue, only that Fiat were well behind schedule, and they told me the date my van is now due to leave the Fiat factory, how long it usually takes then get to them, therefore my likely handover date.
I'd googled 'fiat delay', found the recall info, and made the assumption that this was (at least one) reason. Somebody on another forum said that their van hadn't even left the docks, but had been shipped back to Italy, so it seemed to me that maybe Fiat were busy rebuilding vans. If this isn't a sensible assumption, then it's my mistake and not the converter's.

It may have only affected 239 UK imports, but 25000 total recalls would surely have an impact on future production. I think your assumption is correct.

OP
OP
B

Blah

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Nomad
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Exp
its in the family blood
When I ordered the van I was living in Lincs which meant a 3 hour journey to get things fixed and after 2 weeks of doing this with fuel costs it was getting expensive plus I was clearing a house for sale.

I was not forceful or agressive regarding the bill but they would not listen to me and it was in their favour. No thanks for pointing that out to them then.

They say they check vans before they send them out but the couldn't have done because they would have known the pipe was split. Given the thickness of this pipe I can only assume this was cut by a very sharp Stanley knife and not by me.

This is supposed to be a quality build and I just cannot believe how bad this is. You can see other things round the van, like very little sealant has been used in the front area that you can touch a panel and it moves. A quality build but the lower cupboard doesn't shut properly and the hinges are coming out.

Really it wasn't that rude and if it was me and that happened in my business I would be mortified that person had been sold shoddy goods and was so upset as to use such language. I certainly wouldn't say behave or we won't do a thing for you even though it's our van and you are still under warranty.

Why should I grovel, I didn't build it, glue it, seal it

I spotted an area they had missed sealing, when they went back to all the other vans they hadn't been sealed in that area either i.e. Fault in all Wildax vans but no one offered to seal mine nor a thank you for pointing that out.

If I had bought a merc for £50k I think I would be a bit miffed if it all started to fall apart within 7 months.

Don't forget these people have won awards for these vans so are these awards awarded just in the comfort of the halls of shows or should they be awarded fit for purpose awards.

I have a habitation check in October and these will be fixed but I still say if you are buying Wildax get everything in writing and double check everything at site. I think when you pick up your van it should be done inside not outside. I wasn't shown the gas fitting underneath the van for example.

And if you are wondering why I'm not going straight away, Wildax don't have the slot as they are busy, I need the break - being a carer for dad who had dementia plus I still have an online stalker who for reasons only known to himself destroyed my business and I lost a lot of money, plus it's taken me 4 years to get a parish council to take my name and address off their website and minutes with help from ICO - yep that's life but I'd just like a bit of a break

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Duncan will offer you a choice of staying at a local site for free when picking up your unit. This offer works in two ways,if anything does go wrong,you are nearby,so faults can be rectified next day,also,just take the gas fitting underneath,you could have asked. Surely you wanted to know how the system worked as you were going to full time in it,and where the controls were,after all,the system has to be shut down when going on a ferry or the tunnel.
Staying overnight at the nearby campsite,free,with all the answers to your questions/problems just around the corner,is an offer you cannot refuse............. ?
I am a very happy customer of Wildax,having owned a Europa for 3 years with only a couple of hiccups, one which in all fairness,could have been.....(My fault,don't tell Duncan) We have decided to buy another, a friend out here in Porty land came around and had a look at our Europa when looking to change their mo/ho,we came back here monday 05/06/17 and were told they had been to Elland while back in England and ordered a......... Europa.........
Tea Bag.Happy bunny.
PS. Should i approach Duncan and ALL his workforce about moving his company down here to Portugal ? We have the land and.... SUNSHINE!!. As nice as Elland and Yorkshire are,when sharply slants the Sleet.(Say that fast, after 3ltrs of Conde Noble Tinto :ROFLMAO:) I know where i like to be.

Reactions: CWH
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
[
Tea Bag.Happy bunny.
PS. Should i approach Duncan and ALL his workforce about moving his company down here to Portugal ? We have the land and.... SUNSHINE!!. As nice as Elland and Yorkshire are,when sharply slants the Sleet.(Say that fast, after 3ltrs of Conde Noble Tinto :ROFLMAO:) I know where i like to be.[/QUOTE]

You only have to go to Malaga now Ted!! Not quite so far! ES Hartley are selling WildAxes there!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
[
Tea Bag.Happy bunny.
PS. Should i approach Duncan and ALL his workforce about moving his company down here to Portugal ? We have the land and.... SUNSHINE!!. As nice as Elland and Yorkshire are,when sharply slants the Sleet.(Say that fast, after 3ltrs of Conde Noble Tinto :ROFLMAO:) I know where i like to be.

You only have to go to Malaga now Ted!! Not quite so far! ES Hartley are selling WildAxes there!![/QUOTE]
Hi.
"Wildax International" Move over Hymer,mighty oaks from little acorns grow. All i have to do now,is persuade Morrisons to open a Superstore in Santa Comba Dao,(With Cafeteria) and my world will be complete.I do worry about the Bacon and Liver dinner,did you know that this meal is not on the menu at M/sons store in Plymouth..When i asked why,i was told. "It must be a Northern thing." My Gast has never been so Flabbered (Frankie Howard (y)).
Onwards and Upwards,to infinity and beyond.......Stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I assume that Santa Comba Dao is where you live Ted, so only 500 miles to Malaga. Yes I expect liver and bacon is a northern thing - after all I cook it regularly. It's new to Oxonians though...

OP
OP
B

Blah

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Nomad
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Exp
its in the family blood
I didn't know I had to ask about the gas underneath, there was so much to take in.

The site Duncan directs you to does not take dogs, I asked, I even said Danny sent me, but no so I went to another site where I had to pay.

No I could not leave my dog with anyone

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am sorry but you seem to be digging your self into a bigger hole here all the time, now we have two more people you seem to be at cross purpose with, I may be well wrong but are you sure you don't have some sort of bad attitude with people.
Just saying.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It may have only affected 239 UK imports, but 25000 total recalls would surely have an impact on future production. I think your assumption is correct.
Exactly. If you have to replace that lot + have full production output already it is hard to get back on track.

[
Tea Bag.Happy bunny.

You only have to go to Malaga now Ted!! Not quite so far! ES Hartley are selling WildAxes there!![/QUOTE]

Ideal. Plus you have to added benefit of the 'hojas de reclamación' . ( complaint forms )Just the asking for them will normally drain the colour from the face of anyone.:D2

I am sorry but you seem to be digging your self into a bigger hole here all the time, now we have two more people you seem to be at cross purpose with, I may be well wrong but are you sure you don't have some sort of bad attitude with people.
Just saying.

In the UK it is the attitude of the people serving the public that is & has been for many years, the problem. You have become used to shoddy service, useless public servants, lazy & inefficient suppliers all treating the customer as though it is their fault. What is more amazing is the public seem to accept it.

Most businesses treat people who expect the product to be correct from the outset with disdain.
Most people will put up with being expected to return at their own expense to have rectified something which should not have occurred in the first place.
On the odd occasion that I had a problem in my business nothing would prevent me rectifying the fault immediately regardless of whether day or night & without it costing the client anything. I expect things to be correct 99.99% of the time. Inefficiency , failure to test, failure to inform, failure to rectify, etc; etc; whilst apologising profusely is not acceptable.
Do it once ,do it right.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
B

Blah

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Nomad
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Exp
its in the family blood
In tears now have asked so many times now just delete me

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@fotodayz, if you want the thread deleted you will need to email or send a Personal Message to @Jim to ask him if he'll do that for you.
Otherwise, if you don't post to the thread any more it will fairly quickly stop coming to the front page.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Unfortunately threads cannot be deleted once you have created them, perhaps if you pm (start a conversation) with @Jim & ask he can lock the thread.

I think Grommitts post and others said it all, you are not gaining any satisfaction or making any progress by keep repeating what's happened.

Only you can sort out your next action....

CWH has posted while I was typing but same thoughts really.....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Exactly. If you have to replace that lot + have full production output already it is hard to get back on track.

You only have to go to Malaga now Ted!! Not quite so far! ES Hartley are selling WildAxes there!!

Ideal. Plus you have to added benefit of the 'hojas de reclamación' . ( complaint forms )Just the asking for them will normally drain the colour from the face of anyone.:D2

In the UK it is the attitude of the people serving the public that is & has been for many years, the problem. You have become used to shoddy service, useless public servants, lazy & inefficient suppliers all treating the customer as though it is their fault. What is more amazing is the public seem to accept it.

Most businesses treat people who expect the product to be correct from the outset with disdain.
Most people will put up with being expected to return at their own expense to have rectified something which should not have occurred in the first place.
On the odd occasion that I had a problem in my business nothing would prevent me rectifying the fault immediately regardless of whether day or night & without it costing the client anything. I expect things to be correct 99.99% of the time. Inefficiency , failure to test, failure to inform, failure to rectify, etc; etc; whilst apologising profusely is not acceptable.
Do it once ,do it right.[/QUOTE]
Quite agree, and was only saying how it looked, as I said I might be well wrong, and I also agree I don't know how anyone can buy new after what we see on here, but the fact remains , she seems to be the only one who has had any trouble with this firm and now she says she has trouble with another person and a council, and we have not seen anything of this abusive email she appears to have sent, if someone sent me an email I probably wouldn't see it for a month and if it was abusive it would be ignored.
@fotodayz seems to be retired or self employed and has a motorhome to live in so for the cost of a bit of diesel she could meander on down and talk to them senseably and sort it out face to face.

OP
OP
B

Blah

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Nomad
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
Exp
its in the family blood
Unfortunately threads cannot be deleted once you have created them, perhaps if you pm (start a conversation) with @Jim & ask he can lock the thread.

I think Grommitts post and others said it all, you are not gaining any satisfaction or making any progress by keep repeating what's happened.

Only you can sort out your next action....

CWH has posted while I was typing but same thoughts really.....

Do it once ,do it right.
Quite agree, and was only saying how it looked, as I said I might be well wrong, and I also agree I don't know how anyone can buy new after what we see on here, but the fact remains , she seems to be the only one who has had any trouble with this firm and now she says she has trouble with another person and a council, and we have not seen anything of this abusive email she appears to have sent, if someone sent me an email I probably wouldn't see it for a month and if it was abusive it would be ignored.
@fotodayz seems to be retired or self employed and has a motorhome to live in so for the cost of a bit of diesel she could meander on down and talk to them senseably and sort it out face to face.[/QUOTE]

Do it once ,do it right.
@fotodayz seems to be retired or self employed and has a motorhome to live in so for the cost of a bit of diesel she could meander on down and talk to them senseably and sort it out face to face.[/QUOTE]
Sorry but what would you do if s council published you name and address without your permission breaking DPA

No I was attacked out of the blue on social media and I have no idea why he did it now stop judging me guilty until you know the facts.

Getting a bit personal now isn't it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back