Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Beziers France yesterday. A lesson to us all, "know your vehicle height" I felt a little sorry for the driver, what was he going to tell his boss.:Eeek:
Beziers is on the "avoid tolls route " for Motorhomers and tuggers, and has 2 underpasses both with a max of 2.6m height clearance. Motorhomers and tuggers who suddenly realise that they are heading for disaster and who frantically brake to avoid going down the ramp, cause great amusement for the locals. I know as I've done it myself, and red faced held up the traffic behind till I could get into the right lane.:Doh:

PS First attempt at uploading a pic. so I hope it works.:RollEyes:

Attachments

• Whoops !.jpg
    Whoops !.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 244

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Beziers France yesterday. A lesson to us all, "know your vehicle height" I felt a little sorry for the driver, what was he going to tell his boss.:Eeek:
Beziers is on the "avoid tolls route " for Motorhomers and tuggers, and has 2 underpasses both with a max of 2.6m height clearance. Motorhomers and tuggers who suddenly realise that they are heading for disaster and who frantically brake to avoid going down the ramp, cause great amusement for the locals. I know as I've done it myself, and red faced held up the traffic behind till I could get into the right lane.:Doh:

PS First attempt at uploading a pic. so I hope it works.:RollEyes:

My bus is 3.1 metres and I was diverted off under a low bow bridge and caught my roof so know the feeling.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
low underpasses in Rouen

Tilly, my satnav directed me down one of these underpasses, under the roundabouts, which are only 2.75m last summer. Luckily we saw the sign before any damage was done. Had to back up though and held up lots of vehicles. Most embarrassing :Blush:

Definitely a future enhancement for TomTom to consider.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Truck and Bus Sat-Nav

Please accept that I am not advertising this product - merely advising you that it is available if you wish to go looking for it :thumb:

At the Newbury Show recently I came across a stand advertising a 'large vehicle' satnav program - a bit sceptical, I looked into the depths of the program - and I have to say I was quite impressed - I haven't used it on the road but it does look quite promising from the book supplied. ::bigsmile:

I guess that at the moment it is designed for 'fleet' lorry drivers but you can program length, height, width and weight and the program is guaranteed NOT to take you down a low bridge, weight limit bridge or narrow road. I couldn't see anything about low tree cover but I suppose we can't ask for everything! :winky:

If your interested look <Link Removed>

And, once again I stress, I am nothing to do with this product or company - I am an interested full-timing RV'er who produces the Big Pitch Guide - and this product could be an advantage to me. :thumb:

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Please accept that I am not advertising this product - merely advising you that it is available if you wish to go looking for it :thumb:

At the Newbury Show recently I came across a stand advertising a 'large vehicle' satnav program - a bit sceptical, I looked into the depths of the program - and I have to say I was quite impressed - I haven't used it on the road but it does look quite promising from the book supplied. ::bigsmile:

I guess that at the moment it is designed for 'fleet' lorry drivers but you can program length, height, width and weight and the program is guaranteed NOT to take you down a low bridge, weight limit bridge or narrow road. I couldn't see anything about low tree cover but I suppose we can't ask for everything! :winky:

If your interested look <Link Removed>

And, once again I stress, I am nothing to do with this product or company - I am an interested full-timing RV'er who produces the Big Pitch Guide - and this product could be an advantage to me. :thumb:

This is definitely pre-announcing but Navigator version 8 is due out in a few weeks time. The big news is that there's a truck version with bridge and weight limit avoidance:thumb:
It's available for Windows (XP and Vista), Windows Mobile 5 for smartphones and in a dedicated handheld unit. I'm still waiting for finalised pricing but I'm expecting it to be about £120 for the Windows version. Definitely affordable for a laptop based solution.:thumb::thumb:
The big problem with all sat-nav systems is how poorly they route large vehicles. Navigator 4 was excellent. For example it would route from Staines to Chertsey by taking you in the opposite direction onto the M25 for 2 junctions and back into Chertsey from the other side. Everything else we tested took you through Staines and Chertsey town centres.
Anyway I'm expecting my pre-release copy of Navigator 8 next week so I'll keep you posted.

Regards
Doug

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yes please, Doug - I for one would be very interested. The system I was looking at was quoted at around £600 for a portable sat-nav device but I expect that the price would come down after a while. Navigator 8 looks to be a better price for the laptop but I wonder how much it will cost for the dedicated unit (I presume that means a portable version?)

OP
OP
Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Is this the norm for this site, Traders Hi-jacking posts.:Angry:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Apx

If you read 'nearly retired's post you will see that he is talking about his sat-nav leading him astray (for his size of vehicle) - and that Tom Tom should take notice.

As a matter of information I explained that I had recently seen a sat-nav system that could take vehicle size into account. :whatthe:

That is part of the reason for this web site - to pass on information for the benefit of all members, isn't it? :Smile:

I took great pains and care to point out that I have nothing to do with the product concerned - I simply thought that others might like to be made aware of the product. Now if that has upset you - well I'm sorry - but I really don't see why it should have. :Smile:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Dick,
It was my second post that was the problem. I asked Jim to delete it as I really didn't mean to upset anyone, I was trying to be helpful. You made it abundantly clear that you had nothing to with the product you mentioned.
Sorry everyone.

Doug

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Nope certainly isn't. I'll PM Jim and get the post deleted

Doug

Why???

I'm cool with your post sure others will be:thumb:

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Lets just go back to the top of the page and read the heading, Motorhome FUN.co.uk
and lets not get so uptight. First, it is about FUN, life is hard enough, lets laugh. Second we all pick up advice and information on the way. Dont lets get too regimented about who can post where and what.:thumb:
Chill out and lets have FUN:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
usefull information is great no matter who posts it, no one telling anyone where to buy just advising on options. Why get so uptight.:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi traders provide a valuable source of information, and I for one am happy for them to endorse and discuss products.

Olley

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Why???

I'm cool with your post sure others will be:thumb:
Ditto!
I like to hear about new gadgets but my thoughts on the original post (as an ex bus driver) i think if your not fully aware of the height of your vehicle then you really shouldn't be driving it!
Its a lack of competance!

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Ditto!
I like to hear about new gadgets but my thoughts on the original post (as an ex bus driver) i think if your not fully aware of the height of your vehicle then you really shouldn't be driving it!
Its a lack of competance!

It's possible a coach driver might find himself in Beziers but as a bus driver you're not likely to! Even so, there have been numerous incidents of bus drivers getting it wrong and hitting low bridges. Bridge strikes were happening for many years before sat-nav was invented. Personally I think it's great that technology is coming along to compensate for those who don't achieve your exemplary standards of competence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back