Who to join, who to avoid?... (1 Viewer)

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Hi ho fellow Funsters

:unsure: ....my apologies for a slightly tongue-in-cheek title but by no means is it intended as click-bait.

As but one of the newbies that I presume populate this section of the Forum, I am interested in the experience of longer toothed Funsters as to whether they'd recommend membership of the various clubs available. I refer to the likes of the Caravan & Motorhome Club, the Camping & Caravan Club etc.

From my perspective, I'd intend only to use campsites occasionally and I intend to stick within northern UK, particularly Scotland. Others of course will have different ambitions and I'm sure that what is good for one is not necessarily as good for another.

None the less, lets release the worms... What, who or which would you recommend (if any!)?

(as always, sincere thanks to those who have earned the experience that the likes of me harken for. Your generosity in sharing such hard won knowledge is very much appreciated)

Best
David

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You will get recommendations for all these clubs on here. I like the C&CC as I get good personal travel insurance from them, use them for discounted ferry crossings and enjoy their sites. They were started over 100 years ago and had Baden Powell as President. I have never used their highly recommended temporary holiday sites, but will do one day! I was in the Motorhome & Caravan Club (formerly called the Caravan Club), only for a year as I found them very cliquey and despite changing their name they are still very biased towards caravans. I hear good things about the Motor Caravanners Club but don't feel the need to join another club. Good luck!

Reactions: DLT
Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As a Spanish based funster I don't have much of use to offer. But in the past we have been members of both major clubs but, due to our camping style, tended to favour the Camping and Caravan Club because of their, easy to use, holiday meets

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Camping and caravan club has been my choice.
We very rarely use any sites within the UK but do like the rally events and temporary holiday sites by the CCC.
Having a motorhome all we need is fresh water and somewhere to empty the loo.
Their app "out and about" is a very useful tool for finding meets, rallies etc..

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We were in both, but contrary to earlier posts, and the tag line, found the C&CC the most unfriendly of clubs and took cliquishness to a new level. :( We cancelled our membership. CMC are also very cliquey and anti-motorhome and we no longer rally with them primarily because of the stupid rules they introduced. However we use the CL's from time to time making the annual fee just about worthwhile.

We can thoroughly recommend another club called MotorhomeFun. Generally we find its very welcoming, and those organising rallies and meets generally go out of their way to welcome newcomers and do their best to prevent cliques forming! (n)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We save £300 to £400 a year by booking ferries through Caravan and MH Club. Of course if you don't use ferries or club sites it might be different for you

Martin

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You will find many 'Fors' and 'Againsts' for all clubs. If you have plenty of dosh, you could join them all but consider how much time you have to make good use of them.
None are essential.

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
C & CC for us. Temporary Holiday Sites and area meets are brilliant - usually no booking required, and always reasonably priced. We don’t use their sites - the only exception is the beautiful one at Keswick.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We were members of both clubs but we have cancelled both now.

It was difficult to justify either when we didn’t have a van anymore:)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martins @funflair response just shows that it's a matter of finding the best horse for the target course. We are committed escape tunnelers when it comes to getting to the continent. We do that courtesy of Tesco Clubcard points. We haven't used a ferry in years.
Indeed you are right Robin, we ferry 3 or 4 times a year (including tomorrow) and use the expensive Hull-Zeebrugge crossing so all savings are welcome.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We are in both and although I prefer the camping and caravan club we tend to use more of the caravan and motorhome club sites. Probably because we spend a lot of the spring and autumn abroad and therefore because there are more Caravan and Motorhome sites open in the winter we tend to use them..

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We are members of both CMC and CCC. Never experienced any issues other than one or two grumpy wardens but everyone can have a bad day. We like the rules, some sites are better than others and some are quite expensive. However, we are still working and only manage about 50-60 nights away per year but all of that including fuel is cheaper than our normal choice of a 10 day sun holiday bye some margin. And, what DBK said (y)

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
CCC for us- we were also in the CMC 2 years and sadly had negative experiences every time we booked or tried to book. Don’t use sites often but the CCC hideaway sites ,the 2 near London and some near the dreaded Legoland trip with grandweans are worth the money. Also when wild camping ( sorry those who disapprove) we can pay a small fee for dumping grey water getting fresh and emptying the loo. Did also use them for ferry bookings (but now are Le shuttle and Tesco points addicts) they were excellent.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are members of both which works out at around £2 a week in membership fees. The sites have enforced rules and are of a certain standard - if you don't like the rules don't go. We love the CL and CS networks which are private 5 unit sites in some interesting places and think the membership is worth paying for access to these networks.

Some club sites require membership and some don't.

You won't know if there is a CL or a CS where you want to go unless you join (or ask someone who is a member) and the coverage in Scotland is not as extensive as elsewhere in the UK.

Both clubs (they are businesses rather like golf clubs) have member benefits which you may or may not find useful. As CMC members we got 5 years free habitation checks on our new van for example. As others have said there are also ferry discounts and insurance deals but make sure that the deals cover what you need, don't buy because it is cheap.

The decision on if membership is right for you can only be made by you.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We have to pay over £50 for the CMC. As geriatrics we only pay £28 for C&CC. Also the C&CC have reduced fees during the off season. Because of the stupid booking arrangements on CMC it is difficult to find a site that is not full in mid season or weekends.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We have to pay over £50 for the CMC. As geriatrics we only pay £28 for C&CC. Also the C&CC have reduced fees during the off season. Because of the stupid booking arrangements on CMC it is difficult to find a site that is not full in mid season or weekends.
And they also have solo camper and mid week rates.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Oi... Mr Rockafella! ;) x
Soz - I was being serious...
Ask which to join and you'll have all opinions from one is loads better than the other to neither they are the spawn of the devil.
It's one of those questions that has no right answer and the only way is to try for yourself, which suits you best, one or the other or neither.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We bought our first MH last November and promptly joined c&mc.
We did a whistle stop tour of mid Wales and used 3 CL's but apart from that so far have had no benefits.
We're currently in Spain having driven through France and have exclusively wild camped using park4night spots.
Didn't use their discount for the tunnel as we shared a frequent traveller Account with another Funster.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We are members of C&CC, only 'digital' which means we only pay £39 a year and don't get the magazine sent through the post.

We like their temporary holiday sites as they tend to be on for much longer than similar meets arranged by the other clubs. Good idea to download the Out and About app so you can see where the THS sites are at a glance.

Paul

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We started by joining both CMC and C&CC - but quit the C&CC after it became impossible to see in advance exactly what their site prices were. (And now CMC is heading that way in the written guide too!). The CMC has significantly more CLs (>2200) than the C&CC does CSs (>1400) , although each seems to be stronger in different geographical areas, so that may affect which is better for you.
We do use the club sites, and have found the CMC sites much better on average than C&CC - but they are boringly predictable.
We had more grumpy wardens on C&CC sites than we've ever found on CMC ones. (Do they actually train C&MC wardens to sigh and say "I'll just see if we've got any spaces" when you have the audacity to turn up without booking to a near-empty site midweek?!!)
We've not missed C&CC at all since leaving, but we're all different, so maybe try both for first year as others have suggested?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Thank you all for such lively, informed and at times. entertaining contributions!

It's seems clear to me that,a s many have suggested, that to a degree it's horses for courses. In asking the question I did apologise (Grr to American spell-checking!) in advance for being slightly tongue-in-cheek. I should also confess to having joined the C&CC some weeks ago!

I did so for reasons that may be peculiar to me, thus reinforcing teh contention of many Funsters. I know that I am likely to use a certain selection of their sites each year albeit, as I've elsewhere suggested, it is my intention to use campsites sparingly. I also found that the information they proffered and the layout of their information etc to be well organised. However, noen of that is heavily researched analysis and I may well join other sites in due course. In the scheme of things, a fee for a year to test the water is probably one of teh cheapest purchases I will make in pursuit of my first campervan!

On that front, and if it be if interest, keep an eye on the post "Help me buy my first Camper/Motorhome please? (Eeeeek!)" as I will update it as and when milestones on my journey are reached. It is still my intention to commit to purchase within the next two months.

Thank you again for the pleasure that your sharing brings. I much enjoy reading and learning from all hereabouts.

Wishing all a bonnie weekend
D

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The CMC has significantly more CLs (>2200) than the C&CC does CSs (>1400) , although each seems to be stronger in different geographical areas, so that may affect which is better for you.

Which is why we remain members of both as our family are all over the place :)

We do use the club sites, and have found the CMC sites much better on average than C&CC - but they are boringly predictable.

Our experience as well but the Norwich C&CC club site is really well situated for the Norfolk Archives so worth the annual membership fee just we can use that site when "on the hunt" for ancestors. Pity it is a seasonal site rather than all year round.

The club sites are all pretty much to a pattern as far as facilities are concerned but some people like that - and some don't. CMC better than C&CC.

I've only once had a problem with a warden and that was soon sorted out. Anyone can have a bad day and dealing with people (be they members of the same club or not) can be, shall we say, frustrating. I actually think most wardens do a very good job and when we once arrived at a CMC club site at very short notice, we did phone in advance (family emergency) the wardens did a magnificent job helping us out and made things as easy as they could. I wrote to them to thank them and also to Head Office - and had a response saying that the Regional Manager would pass on my thanks and comments.

I just booked an hotel for an overnight stay (there are really good reasons for not taking the van) and a basic BUDGET hotel with no en-suite cost more for one night than annual membership of either club. As communal facilities are not for me (especially in the middle of the night) I have booked elsewhere :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We're in the Caravan and Motorhome Club. We tried the Camping and Caravan Club but didn't like their sites as much. We usually use the CL sites as we prefer them. There are a lot of CLs to choose from and their five only rule means peace and quiet. Many of them now have EHU and some even have a shower and toilet. Occasionally we use the club sites if it suits our purpose but they are rather expensive.

We've used their holiday insurance, both for a sailing holiday and the Red Pennant insurance. We've found their cover excellent and when we had to cancel a holiday due to my gallbladder problems, they paid up without any problems.

I really don't understand the cliquey comments.

Mrs QFour

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back