Who plans? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just lately we have had a few posts about planning trips, who actually does this?
We just plan on getting the tunnel and that's it, then the next is south of France, end of planning.
We just go wherever we think will be good to go to, and go.
When we feel like stopping we get p4n up on the phone and just go and park up and so on.
Are we not the same as others.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Book a crossing have an idea of where we want to go Germany/France/Spain/Portugal etc. Occasionally there is something specific we want to visit.
Our first trip in a Motorhome we were heading for the Baltic Coast ended up in Slovenia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
No doubt others do the same as you, then there will be some who plan down to the last detail. Everyone is different! We generally book and go but book one campsite in Spain, as it’s our favourite and gets booked up. We go there for a month but make it up as we go along for everywhere else.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just lately we have had a few posts about planning trips, who actually does this?
We just plan on getting the tunnel and that's it, then the next is south of France, end of planning.
When we feel like stopping we get p4n up on the phone and just go and park up and so on.
Pretty much just like you. Book the tunnel, usually just one way. Generally call in Chamonix at some point to visit our son. Other than that we don’t always know which countries were going to.
I do use searchforsites more than the others at the moment.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Plan, what's that? I don't know what I'll be doing at 8 o'clock. Never mind next trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty much just like you. Book the tunnel, usually just one way. Generally call in Chamonix at some point to visit our son. Other than that we don’t always know which countries were going to.
I do use searchforsites more than the others at the moment.
Yeah that's what we do, or in fact what we used to do :( .
On our first trip in Europe in an an ldv van bought unseen off ebay, the plan was, Pisa , never been before but was always intrigued in the leaning tower since schooldays, and we just up and went, no sat nav ,no apps just a Europe map and away, everything since has never come near to that trip.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We usually have 'list' (in our minds) of places/things we'd like to see or visit.

We do like visiting the 'Beautiful Villages'.

Couldn't be doing with the wondering about aimlessly thing.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Some of us don’t have a choice.
Very often we have to re-arrange bookings too.

Hence the reason I always book Brittany Ferries as fully flexible..

I have just changed some easyJet flights too, feee of charge. Pity it’s not always that way

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
To misquote 'the first casualty of a motorhome/caravan holiday is the plan'. Yes a basic plan and direction but flexible depending on what takes our fancy as we go. We are not the drifting type. And if planning a boat trip drifting is definately not part of the plan!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
The only thing we plan is the tunnel crossing.
we have an idea which area we want to head to,but have never booked any sites to stop at as we just stop when we either get tired or see somewhere interesting then we look for an aire for the night.
I do hate the thought of everything mapped out. We have found so many lovely places by accident ,that in my opinion is the beauty of Motorhoming🙂

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't plan for abroad usually, but do have a booking held over from 2019. hope to use it in 2022. In the uk have booked for the last couple of years especially if needing a pitch for a weekend or during school holidays, that's a first as I like to be spontaneous but don't want to travel for hours and then not find anywhere suitable.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I plan to go to a destination with the intention of not planning anything but when I get a notion of a stop enroute, I need to know what's there and what I need to see/do so have to plan for :doh:.
So my not planning ends up being a plan.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I do an outline plan so we know what night stop and attractions there are around the areas we are travelling through, but it is just that, an outline, because in the past we have been a mile or two from an attraction that we would have likes to have visited if we realised it was there at the time.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I find an area we want to see and explore , book tunnel both ways usually for 4 weeks .
Then I sort the Aires that think would suit us , and 2 or 3 near as back up .we like reasonably priced or free , by water canals lakes rivers & near the sea. We don't do busy Aires or need restaurants or large towns or cities , so I do plan but nothing in stone , go with the flow and try to keep one step a head of the weather

Upvote 0

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Just started to look at French trip
For when we can get away. Having not taken a moho to France yet we have no clue but have come up with an idea of just driving to certain places and using French passion. We love the idea of stopping as and when and purchasing some local things and having no plan at all.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
With still both of us still working, we have to plan such as when, site and an outline of places to visit. Other days its a case of ooh that looks nice we can go there.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just started to look at French trip
For when we can get away. Having not taken a moho to France yet we have no clue but have come up with an idea of just driving to certain places and using French passion. We love the idea of stopping as and when and purchasing some local things and having no plan at all.
we love to wander in europe especially france there is absolutley no need to plan as theres always a choice of aires within a few kilometers
yes without a plan we may miss things but on the other side we often find things we could have never planned for festivals where weve been invited to eat with people .a town that was completely shut as it was the one day a year boot sale on their doorsteps

Upvote 0

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Our first trip was to be rush down through France, Verdon followed by Med coast till we had to come back. Got to Verdon, turned round and spent th erest of the trip in the Alps. So now we don't plan other than a general direction.

However, how do you then plan what to see when in an area you weren't expecting. We use brochures we pick up locally, but have found out later we've mised things. What's the best source of info whilst travelling.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Every holiday we've ever taken in the motorhome or (caravan before it) bar one has been unplanned. Once we booked a Spanish site before we realised how easy it was to find places to stay and we occasionally book the odd UK site when we're meeting friends otherwise we ring the day before. I never really care where we end up exactly so we simply find a spot within striking distance. This year we're away for 3 months (currently half way through). We met up with friends at Thirsk (pre-booked) then onto CL at Foston on the Wold then to THS at Woodhall Spa, then on to Newark with friends (pre-booked) where we are at present. When we leave here we fancy Norfolk (probably) finishing at the Lincoln Show.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
However, how do you then plan what to see when in an area you weren't expecting. We use brochures we pick up locally, but have found out later we've mised things. What's the best source of info whilst travelling.

Use Google maps to cover the area you want to look at and then type attractions or chateau or caves or what ever you fancy in the search box and hit search. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back