Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Hi, I am looking to buy a Wifi booster aerial. Having looked on ebay Im torn between-

1) USB 16dBi 2.4ghz WiFi booster aerial directional antenna old by lkm_electrics_direct
or
2) 12dBi USB Directional WiFi Booster Aerial Antenna sold by
facultyx-net

Can anyone advise me if they work and are they any good?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Not that interested in picking up remote signals but does a booster help in increasing the signal onsite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This one works really well, I've picked up signals up to 2 miles away.

Broken Link Removed

wow...less than £14? does it come with drivers and work with windows 8.1 do you know Lenny.

have all but given up with faculty x and current box :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m using an alfa wifi antenna at this very moment . also use an edup version . i,m in spain now parked up using free wifi.
you see both on uk ebay . bet its similar to the one above .
the edup model is ep-ms6528.
usually about 9 quid inc post from hong kong .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed
here you go .
cant beat it at that price.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
just to clarify..

A wifi usb dongle on a long cable inside a waterproof box that you stick on your roof is not a wifi antenna .. it works better because it is higher and outside the van.. you can make one yourself for a few quid..

a wifi antenna is a different animal..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
i,m using an alfa wifi antenna at this very moment . also use an edup version . i,m in spain now parked up using free wifi.
you see both on uk ebay . bet its similar to the one above .
the edup model is ep-ms6528.
usually about 9 quid inc post from hong kong .
Nothing like it, the one I have linked to is a bit of serious long rang kit.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Nothing like it, the one I have linked to is a bit of serious long rang kit.
i find this one does long range as well .
cant tell how far but i know its picked up free wifi from other villages miles away.
seems to be ok in the rain . used it for years outside.

jim . this one you can get a plastic pocket to stick it outside . got a rubber sucker on it . been uising mine abroad for a few years . i use it at home as well.
luckily there is free wifi in my village .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
just to clarify..

A wifi usb dongle on a long cable inside a waterproof box that you stick on your roof is not a wifi antenna .. it works better because it is higher and outside the van.. you can make one yourself for a few quid..

a wifi antenna is a different animal..

So you are going to buy parts that will probably cost you more and spend time making an inferior product, don't know why I bother trying to help sometimes.

If you had bothered to follow my link you would have seen is is a long range directional aerial with built in USB adaptor, it is also fully sealed & waterproof.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
wow...less than £14? does it come with drivers and work with windows 8.1 do you know Lenny.

have all but given up with faculty x and current box :(

Don't need drivers if using with a USB router but if plugging into a PC you will. The driver disc that comes with it is gobble de gook, I found a driver that works fine took a couple mins browsing.

Just checked drivers available for WIN 8 32 & 64 bit.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Ok I am a bit dim but looking for something not too expensive that I can use to pick up a stronger signal from my own wifi at home to use my I Pad ( is not great outside) also could it be used when away in the van to strengthen or get a signal ??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok I am a bit dim but looking for something not too expensive that I can use to pick up a stronger signal from my own wifi at home to use my I Pad ( is not great outside) also could it be used when away in the van to strengthen or get a signal ??
To use with an iPad you will also need a wifi router as well as the aerial router approx 50 quid a bit of a fiddle to set up but once working great, helps to have a bit of technical knowledge.

Edit:
Missed the word "home" in your post ignore above "Devonbeekeeper's post below is more relevant.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For simply improving the coverage of wifi in your home I have a NetGear booster which works very well. I initially tried a £20 one from TP Link and it was useless then I tried one from PC World and it works very well. They don't seem to sell exactly the same model as I have but this one is the same price so is probably equivalent: Broken Link Removed

My house is in two parts, the main bit is an old barn with very thick walls and the BT Router lives in a bedroom in this part and gives coverage everywhere inside the old barn. However, if you step into the new part the signal drops off dramatically. I have plugged the Netgear booster into a 13A socket next to the connecting door between the two parts and it rebroadcasts the BT router signal into the rest of the house. It was extremely easy to set up and has proved very reliable but once or twice a year it seems to lose the signal but switching it on and off cures it! Once set up you don't know it is there, it just simply provides wifi in the parts other wifis can't reach - as they say.

A wifi booster for use on a site is a different thing and there is a wide range of options but I think using one at home would be overkill when you can get something which does the job for £35, will service several devices simultaneously and doesn't involve having trailing wires from your device. I suggest contacting Addie who has a lot of experience in the different technologies and options.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You can waste loads of money here or just go the the iBoost system and never look back or should I say never look hard for a wifi signal........ iBoost wins every time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For simply improving the coverage of wifi in your home I have a NetGear booster which works very well. I initially tried a £20 one from TP Link and it was useless then I tried one from PC World and it works very well. They don't seem to sell exactly the same model as I have but this one is the same price so is probably equivalent: Broken Link Removed

My house is in two parts, the main bit is an old barn with very thick walls and the BT Router lives in a bedroom in this part and gives coverage everywhere inside the old barn. However, if you step into the new part the signal drops off dramatically. I have plugged the Netgear booster into a 13A socket next to the connecting door between the two parts and it rebroadcasts the BT router signal into the rest of the house. It was extremely easy to set up and has proved very reliable but once or twice a year it seems to lose the signal but switching it on and off cures it! Once set up you don't know it is there, it just simply provides wifi in the parts other wifis can't reach - as they say.

A wifi booster for use on a site is a different thing and there is a wide range of options but I think using one at home would be overkill when you can get something which does the job for £35, will service several devices simultaneously and doesn't involve having trailing wires from your device. I suggest contacting Addie who has a lot of experience in the different technologies and options.
I missed the word "home" in Spitfires post, your info is what he needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back