Which type of screw/bolt for solar panel installation? (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Hopefully last question regards solar installation?
what are the best screws/bolts for securing the panel to the side/corner plastic mounts.
I’ve searched and thought there might be better solutions to self tappers ?

OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
417BF096-CD2C-414D-9D41-2D83628A0DFB.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Went with 8mm stainless bolts and nylock nuts when I fitted to previous van after advice from an installer I spoke to at the Lincoln show a couple of years ago. He was sceptical about self tappers that used a ‘rubber’ washer as he was convinced they deteriorated over time and lost their elasticity and then the screws worked loose with vibration?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use alloy brackets but still need screws, I use stainless steel 6mm socket cap screws with nylock nuts.
When using Stainless steel with aluminum do make sure you use a barrier to prevent electrolysis reaction which causes corrosion. I use silicone grease, an old sailors trick is to use Evostick.
I don't recommend using s/s self tappers as the alloy will corrode away around them.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I used the self drilling screws - 5.5x25mm for the vertical fixing into the roof & 5.5x38mm for the horizontal fixing into the panel frame (the support brackets are thicker horizontally so 25mm aren't long enough). I put a ring of Sikaflex around the underside of each screw hole onto the roof to seal it. Seems to have worked although early days

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You might want to check out 'Rivnuts', though if you have a fibregalss roof they may not be suitable.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Theres a solar panel on my roof fitted with aluminium brackets and self tapping screws....I'm convinced it was fitted when the van was new 15 years ago .... it's still there and screws haven't come slack or the panel frame rotted etc

The newer panel is fitted on plastic mounts again with self tappers on it and its tight too ....that was fitted 2 years ago by previous owner.

Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
I use alloy brackets but still need screws, I use stainless steel 6mm socket cap screws with nylock nuts.
When using Stainless steel with aluminum do make sure you use a barrier to prevent electrolysis reaction which causes corrosion. I use silicone grease, an old sailors trick is to use Evostick.
I don't recommend using s/s self tappers as the alloy will corrode away around them.
Completely forgot to mention the barrier between bolts and panel frame! Very slightly oversize hole, pack around bolt with silicone grease and cover bolt and nut with the same grease once fixed was the recommendation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Leakylunar
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
Thanks again everyone, the panel is now mounted with 200mm long 50mmx50mm 3mm alloy angle in each corner and seems sturdy.
Tried it yesterday and all seems ok, just need to fabricate a front spoiler and get charge settings for the lead acid battery on the victron.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
When using Stainless steel with aluminum do make sure you use a barrier to prevent electrolysis reaction which causes corrosion.
There’s a product called Duralac made for this. It’s used in marine applications a lot. It’s very expensive though for the amount you will use

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Completely forgot to mention the barrier between bolts and panel frame! Very slightly oversize hole, pack around bolt with silicone grease and cover bolt and nut with the same grease once fixed was the recommendation.
I use a quick spray of white grease. It isn't only stainless that has problems with aluminium - steel fasteners are as bad with the added problem that they rust anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The only need for any mechanical fixings is when fixing the panel to the support brackets or angles. You do not need any screws or bolts to fix the support brackets to the roof, just a properly applied layer of the appropriate Sika product.

On both my motorhomes the ali angle bracket supports for the two solar panels I had were fixed to the roof only with sika. I fixed the panels on my previous motorhome and the dealer fixed them on to my present motorhome and both relied upon ali brackets glued to the roof. Between them I have done a total of about 50,000 miles in the motorhomes in all weathers and never had a panel come off.

I have never heard of such a fixing failing on this forum. There was a failure reported a couple of months ago which caused some initial concerns, but it was subsequently confirmed that the failure occurred between the bracket and the panel because of a lack of fixings, not between the bracket and the roof.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Will be fixing my panel soon using the usual corner and additional plastic mounts.

I was all for SS bolts and nuts but then realised I can not remove the panel from the mounts as the mounts will be glued onto the roof.

So I am thinking of using SS self drilling screws, without a rubber washer under the head.

Has anybody experience of using them?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We did not use those plastic mounts. Instead used 50 x 50 ali angles. Used pop rivets to fix the panel to the angles. that way if I ever wanted to remove the panels I could drill the rivets out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We did not use those plastic mounts. Instead used 50 x 50 ali angles. Used pop rivets to fix the panel o the angles. that way if I ever wanted to remove the panels I could drill the rivets out.
Agree. I use adhesive-only to attach to roof and it's difficult to fully clean release agent off plastic.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Nightmare topic. Was going to use plastic mounts, sikaflex'd to the roof then self tappers for the panel to these. However on contacting Sikaflex for advice on type to use, they wanted tech details of the type of ABS plastic - good luck trying to find out that one! Ended up using ali angle (which Sika were happy to advise type of sealant/adhesive to use), plus s/s tech screws similar to the Screwfix ones shown above for extra peace of mind, then fixed panels to these with rights and s/s mate bolts, so easy enough to remove panels if needed. Wondered about aerofoil, but seeing a YouTube video where foils produced a suction effect on the back end of the panel, followed their example and didn't fit one.

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
peel rivets ? but seal the middle of the rivet and overcoat with sika.
Peel rivets peel and spread out when reacted with a rivet gun or rivet pliers.

Upvote 0

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
Stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts and sikaflex to stick to roof. 12,000 miles no probs.

Upvote 0

YoungDave

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
'95 Hymer B644
Exp
Current van since Feb '20, before that fulltimed in London for 18 months c. 2014
The only need for any mechanical fixings is when fixing the panel to the support brackets or angles. You do not need any screws or bolts to fix the support brackets to the roof, just a properly applied layer of the appropriate Sika product.

On both my motorhomes the ali angle bracket supports for the two solar panels I had were fixed to the roof only with sika. I fixed the panels on my previous motorhome and the dealer fixed them on to my present motorhome and both relied upon ali brackets glued to the roof. Between them I have done a total of about 50,000 miles in the motorhomes in all weathers and never had a panel come off.

I have never heard of such a fixing failing on this forum. There was a failure reported a couple of months ago which caused some initial concerns, but it was subsequently confirmed that the failure occurred between the bracket and the panel because of a lack of fixings, not between the bracket and the roof.

Hi Peter - do you know what would be the appropriate sika fixing for an ali bracket to a steel roof (or where I could find out)?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back