Which site to use for route planning not google (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was trying to do a rough route plan for our trip wih friends but google planning doesnt alow enough stops. couldn't find any way of doing a route which avoided tolls either.
Suggestions please my learned friends :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've heard but never used Michelin do a route planner (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tyre to Travel used to be good I tried it recently not as good as it used to be, Via Michelin is quite good. Tyre to Travel has the advantage you can export the route to your Satnav.
We always use Autoroute but not a lot of help if you haven't got a copy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hello you charmer you.
Not easy to answer you query as we now try hard not to plan ahead but do use Garmin which will avoid toll roads if requested to do so. We like this because we can if we wish, cheat.
You can, of course, itemise the places you wish to visit or pass through, and compile a whole route for yourselves before leaving home. With this done, decide how far, or how long you wish to drive. Open " Camper Contact" which is free or less than a fiver for a year if you want to see photographs. You could highlight stopping places (it shows camps and Aires).
Park4night is another option of good freeware, although it has not been as stable as the other program.
Have a great time wherever. You go.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Van Michelin. Under options select avoid toll, or select tolls and caravan to get toll fare for a class two vehicle.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use viamichelin when thinking about routes, avoid tolls and caravan also now ticked. Sadly nothing online which take weight and dimensions into account☹️

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thanks all will give via Michelin a go. Could probably do it on TomTom, but want to look at the whole route on my laptop.
Nowhere set in stone, but off to Germany, and then through France and hopefully finding some sun in Spain. We have been spoiled with our weather this year.
@rosalan might manage a catch up this year.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you want to use your laptop then consider Tyre (to Travel).

Google maps allows:

- multiple way points (up to ten - usually enough for a single days travel)
- avoid Tolls option
- avoid motorways option

Ian

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you run out of waypoints in G maps , just open another window , and start from where you finished .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Goole Maps Rule. OK.

Difinitely have Avoid Tolls.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Another vote for Garmin Basecamp

Before any trip I don't know by heart, I study the maps, plan my precise route and any stops, then squirt it to my Garmin Satnav. That way there are no surprises for me and my wide RV. The sat nav is taking me where I want to go and it's not deciding on the best route, I am. (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Tyre to Travel used to be good I tried it recently not as good as it used to be, Via Michelin is quite good. Tyre to Travel has the advantage you can export the route to your Satnav.
We always use Autoroute but not a lot of help if you haven't got a copy.
Autoroute is an old Microsoft program for computer but I still find it very good for planning routes and having the ability to make your own alterations to it. You can type in a list of towns and get it to divise a route through them. Change what you like and have it re-route it. You can print out the route or any selected part of it on the map and zoom in. It gives a turn by turn list of directions plus a whole lot more. Trying to find a copy nowadays would not be easy but if you should find one in say a second hand shop or computer fair (yes they do still have them!) it would be worth getting for the P.C. It is worth mentioning that it sometimes used to come bundled with Microsoft Works and can be downloaded and run as a stand alone utility. Although it is an older program there are not that many roads that have been added (major new roads aren't built that often) and few would make much difference that can't be managed once encountered.

Wyn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use Autoroute along side the Satnav we have a Bluetooth GPS receiver for it so it runs like a satnav. We turn the trail feature on so we have a record of our route and put pushpins in of places, stops etc. Also good about it the mapping give a good idear of road widths a the boss often shouts "you don't want to go down there" and when tring to find places around backstreets in towns you can see if there is an escape route if you can't turn round.

The problem of picking up a secondhand copy is they tightened up the licencing on later version and you can only load it on a PC & a Laptop but maybe OK as it loaded OK on my last Laptop.

Our last trip on Autoroute.
upload_2018-8-28_10-9-51.png

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Another vote for Basecamp and its predessor....
Just a shame they’ve removed google earth... you could view your whole route in virtual mode... i.e street view etc...

Edit: in fact i sometimes wondered why I bothered going on my motorcycle and getting wet etc... when I could sit at my PC and travel the route :rofl:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Another vote for Basecamp and its predessor....
Just a shame they’ve removed google earth... you could view your whole route in virtual mode... i.e street view etc...

Edit: in fact i sometimes wondered why I bothered going on my motorcycle and getting wet etc... when I could sit at my PC and travel the route :rofl:
I'm new to Basecamp and unable to pit my destination on planned trips onto a road or a junction. Can you advise how I do this ?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm new to Basecamp and unable to pit my destination on planned trips onto a road or a junction. Can you advise how I do this ?

There are many a help vid etc on web...

But basically you “construct” a route with the routing tool - as opposed to entering a start and end...

That said... you can do that.. and then easily modify the route to choose different roads or “stop off”... etc

The best way i found was to use it in anger - as opposed to just faffing wi it..

However.... make sure you are zoomed right in.... cos if it’s a dual carriage or motorway... you can click on the wrong side of the road.... resulting in very “odd” routes...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There are many a help vid etc on web...

But basically you “construct” a route with the routing tool - as opposed to entering a start and end...

That said... you can do that.. and then easily modify the route to choose different roads or “stop off”... etc

The best way i found was to use it in anger - as opposed to just faffing wi it..

However.... make sure you are zoomed right in.... cos if it’s a dual carriage or motorway... you can click on the wrong side of the road.... resulting in very “odd” routes...
Thanks, unfortunitly the help videos are no longer available.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thanks have a couple of free days, well sort of, will have a play.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back