which parking heater to install on my VW T5

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by David Portabella, Mar 15, 2019.

1. David Portabella

David Portabella

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a VM T5 California campervan, that is completely isolated Xtremisolator but it does not have a parking heater. I need to travel and sleep in Switzerland during the winter. Do I need a parking heater, or the normal heater of the van is enough?

How do I choose a parking heater? and where to buy it, nearby Switzerland?
    I've heard about "Truma Trumatic E", but there are many options.

Cheers,
    David

2. coroner

coroner Funster

Ratings:
    +9
    Have a look on ebay for one of those chinese diesel heaters my son has installed one in a l rover 110 county station wagon and its very effective make sure you install properly though as exterior exhust air vents etc all need to be correct to make sure you dont kill yourself if done wrong it could have fatal consiquences so have checked by a competent second opinion

• Like it Like it x 2
  3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ratings:
    +34,652
    We have webasto diesel heating fitted to our panel van . It’s brilliant . But we’ve also got excellent insulation. More than what the standard motorhome/pvc is built with. Obviously the better insulation the warmer the van , which ever heater you go for.

4. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Ratings:
    +21,083
    Don’t think I’d like to sleep in a T5 in winter. Heater or no heater.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,488
    Hi David, welcome to the fun house. :)

I totally agree with Nirvanauk above, I wouldn't want to stay in one in winter either. There's no way to keep it warm even with a 'parking' heater if the roofs up, it would be like living in a tent so would be very cold. Only alternative would be to keep the roof down which would then mean you'd be cramped.

If you want one that is more suitable to use in winter with standing room you need to look at a fixed roof camper.

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +34,739
    hellowelcome

7. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +5,769
    Worry not David, they are all a bunch of big girls blouses, although @Minxy Girl is, of course entitled. :rofl:

Get yourself a quality down sleeping bag, not a £50 cheapy from Millets, and you will be snug in bed. :gum:

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,488
    Oi ... I may be a girlie but I object to being compared to a BIG girls blouse! :sneaky:

... would look a bit silly sat inside the sleeping bag during the day though (like a big maggot) not to mention when trying to cook or go for a pee! :D2

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rusty Pumper

Rusty Pumper Funster

Ratings:
    +111
    I spent a couple of winters in a T5. It can be very challenging without a night heater. As said above, the more insulated the van the better. Eberspacher heaters (which I had) are great, cheap to run, but expensive to install. Webastos are another option, but also relatively expensive to install. I agree, you’d lose a lot of heat with a pop top, but it can be done. Another challenge is having sufficient juice in your leisure battery (ies) to start the heater up. If on electric hook up, you’d be ok, but if wildcamping without a good solar set up especially in winter, you might be struggling, in my humble opinion.

The Chinese heaters are very cheap to buy and run, but you have to ensure they are thoroughly tested and properly installed. It can be done, but it all depends on your budget.

Good luck!

10. David Portabella

David Portabella

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your answers!
    Yes, I would sleep with the roof down.
    I think I can sleep comfortable with the roof down, so no cramped. :)
    Ok, I'll check for chinese parking heaters with gas. :)

Thanks again!

11. Sabino

Sabino Funster

Ratings:
    +571
    David
    You cold also consider a Pop-Top cover.
    See this youtube

12. David Portabella

David Portabella

Ratings:
    +0
    I just found a VW T5 with the original parking heater and insulation of California. The seller tells me that "sleeping at 0°C outside is not a problem. On the contrary, the stationary heating is rather "too hot" than the opposite. There are several levels for heating and we usually stay at the first level (1 in 10 I think)".

What do you think?
    Do you think that the original insulation is good enough, or do I need to add Xtremisolator?

The seller tells me that he also have the aluminum protections against the cold to put on all windows. So, it seems that the original insulation is not good enough? Is this aluminum protector useful and convinient to use?

Cheers! David

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,770
    Single glazed glass windows will lose a lot of heat. So insulated covers are essential in sub zero temperatures

14. Rusty Pumper

Rusty Pumper Funster

Ratings:
    +111
    I’m not sure what an ‘extremeisolator’ is? When you say ‘Parking heater’, what do you mean? Is there a heater in the living area of the van - ie not the cab heater at the front of the van?

External screens for VW’s are available and will be more effective at reducing condensation more than the internal ones. You will need thermal screens regardless - especially in sub zero temperatures as my learned friend above has said.

Good luck.